Police will face trouble if caught taking bribes - tourists stopped by traffic cops in Phuket creates stir

webfact

There you go the OUT?   " within their right "  Farang pay Thai don't do it again!

Then you got rules?  You got majority of the shops just renting with a passport then it is suggested the shop need to explain the driving rules? Thai explaining what are the rules and the police asking others to explain what they themselves don't have a clue?????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

But he also noted that police were within their rights to let off those who were breaking the law as a first offence and show leniency.

Now that's a Laugh, first offenders right ? First time Caught you mean.

No first offenders here ,they offend day after day and many  times a day.

I remember a MiB pulling me over 1 day... He smiled, got his ticket book primed and said " Bike you, modify"... Well OK, my m/bike does sit higher than others, and there's not to many 'super-moto'd' Sonics in town..

...I left the bike running, got off, took his pen & pad off him, and gestured him to take it for a whizz round town..

He DID!.. Came back, snatched his pen & book back, and told me "Next time no wear helmet na".. & shook his ticket book at me.  So some of them are OK.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Usual Suspect said:

I remember a MiB pulling me over 1 day... He smiled, got his ticket book primed and said " Bike you, modify"... Well OK, my m/bike does sit higher than others, and there's not to many 'super-moto'd' Sonics in town..

...I left the bike running, got off, took his pen & pad off him, and gestured him to take it for a whizz round town..

He DID!.. Came back, snatched his pen & book back, and told me "Next time no wear helmet na".. & shook his ticket book at me.  So some of them are OK.

Sure you did

8 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I think some of these tourist need to get a grip and follow the laws, Lots of tourist I have spoken to seem to think being fined or handing money over at the roadside is some form of corruption or bribe,

I remember talking to a couple of tourist in the bar a couple of years ago and they was asking me about police corruption, if you are committing a road traffic offence and you get fined how is that corruption............? 

Right now you are drinking in the bar you have no helmets, I saw you pull up, do you have a license on you.........Nope! so right away there is 3 offenses, Oh bye the way do you have your passports on you? Nope, ok add that to the list

So if you get fined tonight with that little lot you are calling that corruption? 

I told them I have lived here 25 years and been fined twice and both times was my fault,

I fully agree, ride without a helmet you deserve to get fined. However, I think the issue many have pointed out is that these aren't FINES, they're payments to the officer involved NOT to do the paperwork. Also, if you are going to enforce traffic laws on people it has to be ALL people. Where I am I have seen police finshing their shift and heading home without a helmet, driving past a 6ft x 4ft poster telling people to wear helmets. Until they start enforcing the traffic laws unilaterally and for every infraction there is still going to be wiggle room for the more money conscious officers.

Most afternoons the police are doing the same thing at the beach end of Bangla road. They are clearly pulling over non-Thais (especially those not wearing a helmet), but not pulling over the helmetless Thais. I considered taking a long video proving the differential enforcement, but I couldn't find an easy way to do that without them seeing me. 

• Like 1

I have been in Thailand quite a long time and "standard practice" is not to enforce the law by actually going out on the roads, and even when they do, fines are left unpaid.

I think that most of the personnel in RTP are in inactive posts. It's almost like that is in their contracts! In fact this goes for pretty well all in the Transport Ministry also.

Given up believing there will ever be any improvements.

• Like 1

Yes the police really destroy tourism, they should have especially let the farang off for drink driving, without helmet and even without fxxking driving license, Thai should have kiss the ass of farang and welcome them with open arm and legs.........oh ya, only focus to catch the Chinese and Thai......<deleted> !!!

So many unhappy farang why still choose living in Thailand and complaining everyday??? idiot no??

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The real issue at hand... 

A mate of mine now a senior officer in the the Police force...  Masters educated in the UK, from the right family, doesn’t really need the money but likes the job etc...  he entered the police force in a relatively high ranking position....  He didn’t want to take bribes or back handers...

His car got scratched up, he received a couple of death threats !!!.....  

Ultimately he was ‘encouraged’ to ‘play the game’ or face the consequences of other poorer policemen loosing out on income - he’s now part of the ’system’ and just accepts this is the way it is.

The system is unchangeable. Graft is so systemic the police enter the position with the expectation that they make money on the side. Ripping people off is welcomed, its expected, its the norm. 

This announcement that ‘Police will face trouble if caught taking bribes' is nothing other than pure theatre. 

Sounds a bit like the Movie Serpico 

• Like 1

if a Thai person came to your country and drove drunk, with no helmet, no shirt, no license, and no vehicle registration, they would be rightfully punished under the law.

so why some farangs think they can come to Thailand and do these things and expect no punishment is beyond me.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dg1980 said:

if a Thai person came to your country and drove drunk, with no helmet, no shirt, no license, and no vehicle registration, they would be rightfully punished under the law.

so why some farangs think they can come to Thailand and do these things and expect no punishment is beyond me.   

I agree totally Farangs shouldn't but I think the point is the cops wouldn't pocket the fine in "my" country 

• Thanks 1

THAI Police should following rules instead of taking bribes and just LOCK THIS <deleted> UP .... when you see how the traffic escalated here in Phuket with all this brainless (mostly Russians) RACING around on Scooters in tourist areas with small streets and even rural roads, they are MURDERERS and taking 1000.-Baht from them they are lucky and should be gratefull. I want to see much more ThaiPolice following this Racers and lock them up for a day.
The best indicator for starting Hiseason is the constant AMBULANCE sounds ????

The RTP at it's inception seems to have been created with a status quo from the government. We will NOT pay you a living wage, but you have a franchise, and the limit of your income is based solely on your own creativity and initiative, and you will always be protected. Is that not the case? 

Many years ago, my sister in law, was involved with a rather dodgy Brit, while living on Samui. When she finally ditched him, he was livid, and just could not handle it. He ended up coming one night, at 3:30am, and burning down her bungalow, which was made of wood and thatch. It went up like a bomb. Fortunately, neither she, nor her roommate were there at the time, or they would have either died, or ended up with major 3rd degree burns all over their bodies, which I believe was his intention. In most countries, this would be treated as attempted murder, correct? The police were able to find a video of him racing away from the scene, at around 3:35am, as there was a CCTV camera in front of the police station, only a few hundred meters away from her bungalow. They took him in, and told him he would have to leave Thailand, and could never return. Not sure what exchanged hands, for him to not have been arrested. He was also told he would have to pay my sister in law 120,000 baht for the destruction of her gold, cash, and possessions. Same for her friend. He did pay. We know that for a fact, as we were friendly with a couple of his friends. When she went to the police station to collect, she was told that he never paid, and he was already back in Thailand. But, that they had advocated for her, and made sure he could never come back to Thailand! When she pushed, and told them that she knew for a fact that he had paid them, she was told that her life was now in danger, and that she needed to back down, and go away, or her safety could not be guaranteed.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1