Problems with food parcels in Thailand

ikke1959

Personally, I believe all country's customs are a law unto themselves.......we had a Red Cross parcel sent from Thailand (Thai post office) to the UK last year with some Thai dried foodstuffs. Purchase and declared cost was no more than about £40 (certainly no duty to pay) .....we received a letter to go and collect the parcel from the local sorting office and pay a £50 VAT charge....................... To contest the charge was just a long drawn out process designed to wear down the consumer,  no chance in hell of getting the charge reversed .....................Customs...you're in the lap of the gods....................................

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bojo said:

..Customs...you're in the lap of the gods....................................

Totally different from DHL/UPS/Fedex who profit from collecting money.

Most post office in Thailand just pass on packages without looking.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

I have to take bariatric supplements and can not buy here. Have had them sent from USA and as others state DHL FED Ex everything gets held ransom and they end up costing much more to get them out. Just received a package of same stuff, USPS express, from time of order to receive 12 days...package came to house from Thai postman..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mavi said:

yes we all understand how important it is to have food sent from abroad...

48 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Yawn. Live local, eat local is the solution.

I understand and I eat local every day, but sometimes, like this time of the year there are only things available that you can't buy the rest of the year. We celebrate Saint Nicolaes. So time to order the special snacks, that I can't buy or make myself and at the same time order other stuff for preparing the Christmasdiner..Not a lot of people know the snacks for St Nicolaes but, it brings back the memories of my childhood. That people don't understand says more about them then about me. Never had a problem only this time the postoffice sent it by UPS and for a value of 65 euro they want me to pay 8.000THB.... I don't think so..   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

As said in every topic like this: Don't use couriers like UPS, DHL, etc, always send by mail.

I do always, but I don't know why suddenly the Belgian post used UPS, I heard because of problems with Covid, but I still I don't understand. Another shop told me that they don't deliver to Thailand anymore because a lot of parcels are too long on the way or disappear... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ikke1959 said:

I do always, but I don't know why suddenly the Belgian post used UPS

You order a parcel in the Netherlands and this gets shipped by the Belgian post through UPS?

I'm quite sure that the post office doesn't use UPS, but the shop that sent you the parcel used UPS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

You order a parcel in the Netherlands and this gets shipped by the Belgian post through UPS?

I'm quite sure that the post office doesn't use UPS, but the shop that sent you the parcel used UPS.

I have no idea, but the parcel was sent th 12th of October, and the track and trace didn't change for weeks So I wrote to BP and the shop and this was my answer.... I don't know The shop never used UPS before when I ordered, always with the post and smooth and silk. I had ordered another one on the 6th of November and that is the same... still in progress by Bpost.. and Bpost told me to wait for another week at least.... 

On 11/28/2021 at 8:18 AM, bojo said:

Personally, I believe all country's customs are a law unto themselves.......we had a Red Cross parcel sent from Thailand (Thai post office) to the UK last year with some Thai dried foodstuffs. Purchase and declared cost was no more than about £40 (certainly no duty to pay) .....we received a letter to go and collect the parcel from the local sorting office and pay a £50 VAT charge....................... To contest the charge was just a long drawn out process designed to wear down the consumer,  no chance in hell of getting the charge reversed .....................Customs...you're in the lap of the gods....................................

I sent dried food stuffs to my family in UK for Christmas last year ( 2020 ), used local post office ( Banphai ) who packed the goods.    I informed the post office that all food stuffs were no meat or fish or egg strictly vegan, which they were.   Arrived UK in about 7 days no problems at all.

Am about to try and send another food parcel again today ( 29 Nov 2021 ) will keep you updated.

On 11/28/2021 at 7:48 AM, worgeordie said:

My daughter from the UK, regularly sends me food parcels,

but only by Royal Mail, tracking it , the latest one arrived in

Thailand in five days , and expecting delivery in next couple

of days, they always arrive without problems from customs,

Once she sent by FedEx  I had to abandon the parcel as they

wanted taxes, fees and an agent to clear the goods, it was

more than the contents were worth , so only get it sent by

your countries postal service , tracked.

regards Worgeordie

I'm doing the same. Also, I buy my tea from Ireland and it always arrives within about 10 days. Strong stuff, each bag good enough to use twice. and less than 8 Euros for 80 including postage.

Barry's Tea.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm doing the same. Also, I buy my tea from Ireland and it always arrives within about 10 days. Strong stuff, each bag good enough to use twice. and less than 8 Euros for 80 including postage.

Typhoo 100 tea bags, 95bht.

Also good for 2 cups.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/typhoo-one-cup-100-tea-bags-200g-100-200-i2328240354-s7872573300.html

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

On 11/28/2021 at 6:36 AM, ikke1959 said:

Are there more people who are facing this slowness and high duties??

Thai Customs.

Usually no problem.

But there pretty corrupt so when they get your package its difficult to get it without lots of time and money.

What a pain!

Good luck!

On 11/28/2021 at 8:18 AM, bojo said:

Declared cost should include the postal charges. It probably pushed you over the duty free amount. 

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

Thai Customs.

Usually no problem.

But there pretty corrupt so when they get your package its difficult to get it without lots of time and money.

What a pain!

Good luck!

I think the problem is with UPS and not with Thai custums, because when I ask for the declaration, they don't respond

19 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Dear god, if I ever got to such a pitiful state I'd top myself.

I think you must be suggesting that I and BritManToo can't afford to use a tea bag only once, which is insulting. Unless you have tried the tea I mentioned then you have no right to comment on its strength. It's down to personal taste, surely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1