Local Culture: What don't you like?

The lack of thinking things through. Thais will buy caged birds at the temple so they can be freed without thinking about how they got caged in the first place.

Buddhism is a good thing in Thailand, and as an outsider I shouldn't draw too many conclusions, but there does often seem a childish link between some who do the temple thing just to add to their luck  e.g. for buying lottery tickets. I suppose all religions have a bit of that. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 7:38 PM, 2009 said:

Yup, the absolute ruthless cut-throat driving which just seems to be the norm among the nation as a whole.

Yeah, a lack of honestly and reliability in general. I suppose all cultures have different values, but honestly certainly isn't high on the list here.

Honesty is actually very good among the majority of ordinary Thais I find, but I think queue jumping can be quite bad, in the 15 years I have lived in Thailand, I have stopped every queue jumper that ever did it in front of me.

On 12/1/2021 at 8:11 PM, 2009 said:

You reminded me of living up country. Lol

Domestication ain't exactly very refined yet, nor care for animals, neighbors, or the environment.

The Thais stupidity and sad lack of intelligence sticks out like a sore thumb. Riding motorbikes in an indoor market also springs to mind.

On 12/1/2021 at 11:36 PM, 2009 said:

Yeah, the psychotic Thai techno party music sounds like something only rebellious children would play for a laugh.

Yet, no Issan party is complete without 12 hours of it played so loud you can here it kilometres away and the women actually seem to enjoy dancing to it.

I will never comprehend.

I don't mind the music, I loath the bass at night when everyone is asleep and no one is partying anymore, but the bass is still going, so irritating because you can feel it vibrating, fortunately we are away from people so can't really complain, but that bass once in a blue moon OMG.

The Thai music festivals I love, especially with those cute thrust busters on cue, orgasmic ????

A letter from former British Ambassador to Thailand; Sir Anthony Rumbold, written in 1967. 

This created quite a stir when the papers were declassified a few years ago...

Worth a read, there are some gems in there which are difficult to contradict although there is quite the stench of elitist pomposity. 

Sir-Anthony-Rumbold.pdf

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A letter from former British Ambassador to Thailand; Sir Anthony Rumbold, written in 1967. 

This created quite a stir when the papers were declassified a few years ago...

Worth a read, there are some gems in there which are difficult to contradict although there is quite the stench of elitist pomposity. 

Sir-Anthony-Rumbold.pdf 2.49 MB · 1 download

the executive summary is spot-on though !

37 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Honesty is actually very good among the majority of ordinary Thais I find, but I think queue jumping can be quite bad, in the 15 years I have lived in Thailand, I have stopped every queue jumper that ever did it in front of me.

I used to get annoyed at that too, now as I have time on my hands for example, if I'm at Lotus and see someone with a couple of items, just like I used to do back home, I would let them in if there was no one behind me, but Thai's generally don't get it when you wave them in, some do, and appreciate it, others just walk off to another line.

Why just the other day as I was getting a trolley, I saw an elderly lady behind me with the corner of my eye and I pulled out two trolleys, and passed one to her, she looked at me as if to say, I don't understand, why you help me. I didn't wait for acknowledgement or a thank you, I did it because that is how I learned to do things, and I did see her later in the store and as she was looking at me, I smiled and tilted my head slightly and she smiled and kept staring at me, for a minute there I thought it was game on ????

• Like 1