Local Culture: What don't you like?

So, rather than have a circle jerk over local culture, I am interested to know what aspects of it you dislike.

I am sure as foreign guests here we must have experienced culture clash or culture shock at some point.

So, is there any cultural difference that you just can't fully appreciate?

10 minutes ago, Morpheus42 said:

Outdoor Masks

Driving on the roads

Kreng Jai / the fact that they are not honest or after they did something wrong they never apologize with backbone but just ignore the mistake

The culture of accepting almost everything silently, especially authority, instead of standing up for your rights

Yup, the absolute ruthless cut-throat driving which just seems to be the norm among the nation as a whole.

Yeah, a lack of honestly and reliability in general. I suppose all cultures have different values, but honestly certainly isn't high on the list here.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Morpheus42 said:

The culture of accepting almost everything silently, especially authority, instead of standing up for your rights

I have experienced this at work.

Even though the person disagrees with something, they are afraid that they will be excluded by their peers (who are banding together and suffering collectively) if they stand up for themselves.

Super mature, on both sides. Lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Neighbour throwing leftover food over his wall onto the street outside out house.

Neighbours leaving their dogs and cats to breed over and over again and not 'fixing' them so the area is swarming with sickly dogs and cats.

A neighbour suddenly deciding to keep 2 cows in his front garden and never clean then out so each evening there is horrific stench.

People burning plastic every day 

The trend that ever house need to get blinding white outside lights. 

The culture of using a grass strimmer, steal cutter saw, tractors to move about red soil at 6.30 in the morning.

And the culture of missing the collection day ever week and making a mountain of festering, stinking bin bags at top of the street outside our wall. 

You reminded me of living up country. Lol

Domestication ain't exactly very refined yet, nor care for animals, neighbors, or the environment.

• Like 1

I love living here and being here and my family and most daily things...

More so the last few years, I am finding communication is difficult [in Thai]... with some people. Many of my family members don't seem to use tenses anymore.. My BIL tends to extrapolate out and interpret my words - totally incorrectly. As if in another universe... but he might just be losing his mind... 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

A group of Thai friends declared me a Honorary Thai, after several beers

Haha,

I still haven't made it passed "farang Lao" status. I just call them "Lao Lao" back.

Needless to say, they don't appreciate it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Ugggh, Thai people and escalators,

Haha,

Their spatial awareness truly is a phenomenal.

It is only at an escalator, they can accuse me of tailgating. Lol.

Tailgating at 120km/h -- no problem. But an escalator....dun dun dun..........sheer terror!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Ignorant foreigners especially those who identify as 'farang'..lol

Surely, not as bad as the ones who think they are Thai.

I remember sitting in a farang pub and this young chipper lad, clearly in complete rapture of being in Thailand, approches me and says, "Sawadi kap! Yin dee ti die ru jak. Phom chu...."

I look behind me thinking that he was talking to a Thai maiden, only to discover he is actually talking to me.

Naturally, I was like, "We are both English speakers, man"

He kinda reminded me of a "young me" when I was in love with Thailand but I never took it as far as to try to converse in Thai with other farang. Maybe he was high or something. His eyes we all glazed over with bliss.

Edited by 2009
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, yes, maybe a little yes, but never No.

Sometimes it would be nice to get a straight No answer from Thais when they mean No.

Maybe.

Maybe means "no".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

What don’t like I like about ‘local culture’ ? the way in which local culture is used to explain the ’Thai way’

It's the Ace up the sleeve, man.

I honestly think they think they live on another plane of existence from the rest of the world.