Celebrity call out of leather goods spark online debate

webfact

58 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Bizarre how highly evolved and intellectually superior we consider ourselves, as humans...yet many/most couldn't act less "human" when it comes to the exploitation and suffering of our fellow sentient earthlings. 

It is very much hidden from us by the producers.... I expect there would be an abundance of revulsion if we were to learn the truth and reality of the production of food and goods for our consumption. 

I was shocked once seeing how chicken was bred and raised and slaughtered for our benefit by mega producers.

Action?

This would only drive it under deeper cover and into the unregulated areas of the world where it would likely be worse.....

That said, I really can't see myself going vegan, but I guess I don't need a snakeskin wallet or crocodile skin shoes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Maybe if she's so traumatised about the fashion industry abusing animals for products maybe she should take a closer look in her make-up bag and start there.

A fair point, but do you know for a fact she hasn't? Perhaps she is aware and consistent. Using faux leather bags and cruelty-free cosmetics certainly isn't a new or novel idea you just came up with. There are literally hundreds of cruelty-free brands of cosmetics alone. 

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

It is very much hidden from us by the producers.... I expect there would be an abundance of revulsion if we were to learn the truth and reality of the production of food and goods for our consumption. 

I was shocked once seeing how chicken was bred and raised and slaughtered for our benefit by mega producers.

Nah, nobody really cares only the price of the product matters.

3 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Regardless whether carnivore, omnivore or herbivore...seems everyone "human" should be onboard with at least supporting the idea of reducing suffering of ALL animals, not just the human animal. Especially the unnecessary suffering caused for fashion statements or sensory pleasure, aka taste buds.

Bizarre how highly evolved and intellectually superior we consider ourselves, as humans...yet many/most couldn't act less "human" when it comes to the exploitation and suffering of our fellow sentient earthlings. 

Well said.

• Thanks 1

Another argument against the use of leather is that it subsidizes the destruction of the Amazon's rain forest.

How Americans’ Appetite for Leather in Luxury SUVs Worsens Amazon Deforestation

An examination of Brazil’s immense tannery industry shows how hides from illegally deforested ranches can easily reach the global marketplace. In the United States, much of the demand for Brazilian leather comes from automakers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/17/climate/leather-seats-cars-rainforest.html

European carmakers' leather use fuelling deforestation: NGO

Some of Europe's biggest car giants including BMW and Jaguar Land Rover use leather linked to deforestation in South America, threatening the most vulnerable tribes, environmental campaigners Earthsight claimed on Wednesday.

The non-profit organization said the automakers buy leather for vehicle interiors initially sourced from cattle ranching on illegally razed land in a part of Paraguay that is home to one of the world's last tribes with no contact with outsiders.

The London-based group said the leather from the Paraguayan Gran Chaco, a region rich in biodiversitythat is home to jaguars and giant anteaters, enters the auto industry supply chains via Italian tanneries.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/climate-and-environment/european-carmakers-leather-use-fuelling-deforestation-ngo-1.5126376

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Maybe if she's so traumatised about the fashion industry abusing animals for products maybe she should take a closer look in her make-up bag and start there.

Yes. I wonder how many fashion shoots and advertising jobs she will turn down because they don't conform to her animal products beliefs.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

You clearly have no idea of the horrific conditions factory farmed animals have to endure.

Here's just one link, there are many, many others [and yes I have seen the conditions animals endure in factory farm conditions first hand. One of the main reasons I became a vegetarian 38 years ago]

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/03/coronavirus-animal-abuse-us-factory-farms

''There is nothing natural or inevitable about factory farms, which have transformed human agriculture into a monstrosity which would be unrecognizable to previous generations.''

Andrew Gawthorpe

Nah, it´s just called development and evolution of industry.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 12/3/2021 at 3:26 AM, webfact said:

On Wednesday, Maria Poonlertlarp expressed her concern on social media about animal abuse and industrialized killing in the fashion industry.

I'd wager her car has leather seats.

• Confused 1