Why We Long-time Farang Will Never Leave Thailand.....

GammaGlobulin

On 12/6/2021 at 9:23 AM, Johnny Mac said:

I'm pleased I have a follower ???? but why so vindictive, bit weird, no?? Now off you trot, your sticky rice is getting cold.

And yes, most of my time here is torture, easily one of the most boring countries on earth. Awful, insignificant, dull, corrupt country. Okay for a holiday, but to live here is a mugs game, but you carry on with the denial old fellow.

sorry mate but if you want Dull and Torture go live in the UK or France..im here for the long haul .The grass isn't always greener...

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 6:42 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

also remember this:  When you finally find a good roost, like here, then settle down and stop your wanderlust for places imagined that, if you were to get there. would not measure up to where you are now.

I have done my wanderlust those places are not imagined to me, coz i've been there, before I got my good roost here. Venus looked beautiful last night from my garden maybe i'll go see if it's any better than here. ????

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 7:54 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Well, if I do not yet represent the farangs who have been here for many years, and this is debatable, then, surely, someday I might.

By the way, how long does it require, since one first set foot here, for one to be considered long time?

Is 50+ years enough?

What you represent is immaterial to anybody else, you only represent YOUR views and nobody else's we all live different lives no matter what.

• Like 2

I am still a tourist .

I got a history of 20+y in Thailand 3 months a y . I ( the GF) got a home in Isaan close to Udon Thani which we build by ourselves .

As far as i know the grass is always greener on the other side , will always be . I do like my food , but spending now 2y away from Thailand i can certainly tell i really miss Thai food also . The grass will always be greener on the other side . Make your choice , do not make it too fast , but be honest to yourself also .

I do not say i got the truth in my wisdom . I can only say what i find , and there are positive sides on all , and so are the negatives . I made my choice , and i doesn't make it final but i stick upto it , meaning i do know all about the nasty things in Thailand , the things i miss when im not in Thailand and opposite . It all isnt easy and should not be a easy choice , and not only think now but also think if you get older and you do get serious health problems .

47 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

sorry mate but if you want Dull and Torture go live in the UK or France..im here for the long haul .The grass isn't always greener...

Turn it in mate, the UK is dull and Thailand isn't?? Laughable. Men in the UK avoid going shopping at all costs, here it's one of the highlights of the week. Nothing to do here, but you carry on kidding yourself.

On 12/6/2021 at 8:16 AM, Johnny Mac said:

Awww, where's that sick bucket. Thailand is hands down one of the most boring countries in the world, and it's like living on the sun.

As for old men talking to each other about sex...makes my skin crawl.

It's not us oldies who talk about sex; we tend to just get on with it given our time is limited. It's the younger guys who go on about it. Boring, and has many of us heading for the nearest vomitarium. Or were you trying to be funny ?

1 hour ago, DefaultName said:

I'm Scots and proud of it.

I'm British and proud of it.

But.

I never expect to see either again.

Here I stand and here I will remain.

Yes, it can be frustrating, even downright annoying at times.  But it's beautiful and the people are mostly kind.

It'll do for me.

Well said.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 6:42 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

I just hope the weather will warm up, soon.

No, no, no... I haven't had to run my A/C for a week now and I'm still wearing T-Shirts and Sport Shorts around the house. I love this weather.

Sadly, after calling Thailand home for 24 yrs and living in 'our' house for 16, I'm probably going to leave and go back to work. There is no work for me here, anymore... ????

On 12/6/2021 at 7:54 AM, GammaGlobulin said:
On 12/6/2021 at 7:39 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Sex in the morning is my favorite with my girlfriend. ????

I only corrected the OP who somehow pretends he represents the farangs who are here for many years. He doesn't! 

Well, if I do not yet represent the farangs who have been here for many years, and this is debatable, then, surely, someday I might.

No, it is not debatable, at all.  You do not, and you never will, represent Thailand's foreigners here.

• Thanks 1

On 12/6/2021 at 10:55 AM, RmcaIssan said:

Built a great bungalow house in the countryside , keen gardener, great views, great wife who works very hard and 3 dogs  .. and sunshine for probably 300+ days of the year ... Couldn't be better !!

Couldn't be better???? If there was some way to get rid of this soldier who thinks he is a politician, who is unelected and posing as a PM.

Think of Thailand before 2014 if you were here then, and think of it now.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 11:41 AM, Captain Monday said:

Exactly and correct. Thailand cannot be all things for all people. I hope criminal background checks are implemented. About 30 percent of my fellow Americans are undesirables with arrest records.

and just how do you know that? Their arrest records I mean. I have met, and have known quite a lot of Americans in my 15 years here in Thailand, and I cannot think of any who seemed to me to be undesirable, unlike some from the UK.

and every time you have met an American, you ask them if they have been in trouble with the police?? Aye right. 

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Thailand the best country for regular or poor farangs, in my well -travelled view. Safe,  Cheap, Warm. UK/ Italy / Spain best if Wealthy.

I'd say the opposite is the case. Thailand would be the LAST place I'd want to be if I were poor. Not having a pot to p!#$ into in such a status driven society, no safety net, no fun. . . NO THANKS!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I'd say the opposite is the case. Thailand would be the LAST place I'd want to be if I were poor. Not having a pot to p!#$ into in such a status driven society, no safety net, no fun. . . NO THANKS!

Poor is not Destitute. You could I suppose just get by here on 500 quid monthly, with no safety net. So screwed yes if seriously injured or sick here.  Destitute better freezing in U.K. then on Welfare & Free NHS for sure. UK ultra - materialistic with unchecked celeb worship, wokeness and bad weather. Personal Choice as ever.

On 12/6/2021 at 8:46 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

No matter what you might say...

Can we please just agree on one thing:

Boom boom boom, is not bad.

27 MILLION listeners can't be wrong.

Bang, bang, bang, bang......

Great tune.  But mistakenly attributed to a collaboration between Hooker and ZZ Top.  This joint effort is actually Hooker and Big Head Todd and the Monsters.  It's off of the Monsters '97 album Beautiful World.

As to the OP, I share his love of Thailand.  And it's true that many, many other farang share the OP's sentiments.  What's also true is the old adage, 'different strokes for different folks'.  And so there will never be a unanimous consensus amongst farang regarding their feelings about this country.

I've been on TV long enough to lose count of the number of these threads over the years.  This won't be the last.  The morale of them all is the same; what's good for one is not good for all.  Any attempt at conversions is a tough and futile road.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Couldn't be better???? If there was some way to get rid of this soldier who thinks he is a politician, who is unelected and posing as a PM.

Think of Thailand before 2014 if you were here then, and think of it now.

Better yet, think of Thailand before 1970 [or even 1968] and then ask yourself the same set of comparative questions. 

Those that consider the 2000s to be looked upon as nostalgic are typically fogged over - even the early '90s could be waxed in a more romantic era [barely]. 

With all due respect, the good old days of 2014 [or there about] shouldn't be mentioned with back when. 

20 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

what hapens when you have

severe health probs like demenitia and parkinsons or other very bad health problems ?

that will cost a fortune to deal with

Of all questions that can be asked 'what if' questions are perhaps the most useless.  A 'what if' question projects an imagined scenario into some undetermined future date and demands that it be accounted for, if not acted upon, in the immediate present.  'What if' questions are even more than useless when the projected scenarios are of a sinister nature; which, IMHO, they happen to be more often than not.

'What if' everything had a way of ultimately working itself out to one's benefit?

Some might say 'what if' questions involving ominous imagined scenarios is prudently 'facing reality' whilst 'what if' questions of imagined scenarios of a beneficent nature equates to dangerous Pollyannaish thinking.  No matter.  What's true is both deal with fantasy, or an unrealised . . . and perhaps never to be realised . . . future.

No matter where one finds themselves in the world, Thailand or elsewhere, the ability to prosper in all ways and at all times is always ours.  And perhaps the truest of all statements is a Thai colloquialism we are all familiar with . . . up to you.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sirineou said:

It's the first thing you learn in engineering ????

The context is not, IMHO, comparable.

Engineering design intent, as it relates specifically to functionality, must consider all factors, or at least as many as possible, with feasibility importantly in mind also, which could have a direct bearing on an end product or system performing to it's intended purpose successfully.  Positing 'what if' questions in this context is done towards discovering and uncovering the range of applicable factors.

'What if' questions, when asked in an attempt to make opportune decisions in the present regarding completely imagined future scenarios which may or may never come to pass, and where the factors affecting this imagined future are literally incalculable, is an entirely different animal.

Asking 'what if' my health majorly fails me sometime in the expansive future, and 'what if' I am also insufficient in funds at the exact same time to cope with the severity of this whatever illness, would it be foolish to choose such and such a country to reside in presently? is not, IMHO, a question which has any value.  Aside from all of the uncountable variables nowhere does it address or even consider the issue of self determination as a major factor.

A better value would be a focus on setting your own sails in the present rather than worrying about making choices now to protect ones self from imaginary disastrous scenarios and perhaps unwittingly setting ones self up for a self fulfilling prophecy.

• Like 1