Why We Long-time Farang Will Never Leave Thailand.....

GammaGlobulin

9 minutes ago, gargamon said:

It took 30 seconds for you to respond to my post(at 12:30 am). Do you have an alarm set to wake you up when someone replies to any of your threads? Or do you need to respond immediately so your post shows up in the "latest posts" list and thereby hiding the dissenting opinion?

Anyway, back to the topic. The fervor you exhibit in defending your position indicates to me that you are likely one of the "all ins" and have few other options.

none of the above, unfortunately

We tried to leave. Looked at Mexico. Homicide is way up the past two years. Huge police and army presence everywhere, with truckloads of guys armed with high caliber machine guns. Not appealing. Plus, alot pricier than Thailand for rent.

The only real upside was the weather, the seafood (blows away Thailand on every level), and the ease of visas. So, we will stay put for now and hope the youth are able to somehow oust the spectacularly toxic, greedy and useless dinosaurs. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

We tried to leave. Looked at Mexico. Homicide is way up the past two years. Huge police and army presence everywhere, with truckloads of guys armed with high caliber machine guns. Not appealing. Plus, alot pricier than Thailand for rent.

The only real upside was the weather, the seafood (blows away Thailand on every level), and the ease of visas. So, we will stay put for now and hope the youth are able to somehow oust the spectacularly toxic, greedy and useless dinosaurs. 

You sound like a Belize type of guy.

Bon voyage, my friend.

Don't look back.

You seem to have been on the fence for ages.

Don't prolong your agony.

Book a ticket for Belize City, and enjoy your new neighbors.

59 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You sound like a Belize type of guy.

Bon voyage, my friend.

Don't look back.

You seem to have been on the fence for ages.

Don't prolong your agony.

Book a ticket for Belize City, and enjoy your new neighbors.

My life in Thailand is anything but agony. We live quite well. And we enjoy most Thai people.

Some interpret complaints as a cry of desperation. Some interpret it as a discriminating mind, making a determination that Thailand could do so much better for itself, if it were in the hands of visionary people who were not creepy crooks. 

Thanks for the support. Very kind of you. 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

My life in Thailand is anything but agony. We live quite well. And we enjoy most Thai people.

Some interpret complaints as a cry of desperation. Some interpret it as a discriminating mind, making a determination that Thailand could do so much better for itself, if it were in the hands of visionary people who were not creepy crooks. 

This is where you go wrong.

You set yourself up as the judge and jury of a culture and a country which is not your own.

You see it as your mission in life to correct minor failures wherever you see them in various countries you visit during your important lifetime.

You are never truly satisfied, wherever you go, unless you can remake the new lands you visit in your own image, like a god.

You are unable to understand that, no matter where you travel, every new land you visit will still never measure up to your great expectations.

Reading your posts, I am often reminded of Miss Havisham.

Go East, my son.

Go to Belize, my son.

There, you will find the land McAfee loved.

And you will feel right at home.

May you not end up like he, in Spain.

Guest Isaanlife
6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Mexico is a big place. How about Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, something more expat friendly?

Guest Isaanlife
4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand has always been corrupt, no matter which party in in power.

Can you describe, that if you live quite well, what are the exact issues making you want to move? (or how is this government personally affecting you and your family?

Guest Isaanlife
On 12/8/2021 at 12:47 AM, Harveyboy said:

try starting a family..try traveling each weekend..beach one week camping another ect ect ..i think you need to get a life sir ..i live and worked on countries around the world..and in telling you UK and France in fact a large part of Europe has become a cesspool..you go live there  I'm fine  here 

There are good places here and there are good places there.

You cannot generalize entire countries as cesspools, there are only good places a person living in Thailand may not be able to afford over there.

Guest Isaanlife
On 12/6/2021 at 9:44 PM, Burma Bill said:

IMO yes it is! Having lived in Thailand for almost 20 years, I now find the grass greener in Cambodia with much less bureaucracy and hassle free!

can you share some of the things that are better in Cambodia?

Guest Isaanlife
On 12/7/2021 at 5:37 AM, PaoloR said:

You must be a very boring and, to judge from your posts, sad person. Only dull people live dull lives, wherever they are.

Went for a run on the beach with my dog first thing this morning. Then took my motorbike 50 km through the gorgeous countryside from Krabi to Lam Thap to feed my cows and check on my farms. Late lunch by the river in Krabi town on the way home.

Back home now with my beautiful girlfriend deciding where we would like to go this evening or just chill at home.

I have lived and worked in Europe, America, Central America, China, Asia. Nowhere was dull.

Dullness is a state of mind not always related to where you are, but who you are.

Do you ride 50 KM each way each day to feed your cows?

Guest Isaanlife
On 12/7/2021 at 5:37 AM, PaoloR said:

You must be a very boring and, to judge from your posts, sad person. Only dull people live dull lives, wherever they are.

Went for a run on the beach with my dog first thing this morning. Then took my motorbike 50 km through the gorgeous countryside from Krabi to Lam Thap to feed my cows and check on my farms. Late lunch by the river in Krabi town on the way home.

Back home now with my beautiful girlfriend deciding where we would like to go this evening or just chill at home.

I have lived and worked in Europe, America, Central America, China, Asia. Nowhere was dull.

Dullness is a state of mind not always related to where you are, but who you are.

3 hours ago, Isaanlife said:

There are good places here and there are good places there.

You cannot generalize entire countries as cesspools, there are only good places a person living in Thailand may not be able to afford over there.

please re.read i said a large part of Europe not all..merry Christmas 

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

This is where you go wrong.

You set yourself up as the judge and jury of a culture and a country which is not your own.

You see it as your mission in life to correct minor failures wherever you see them in various countries you visit during your important lifetime.

You are never truly satisfied, wherever you go, unless you can remake the new lands you visit in your own image, like a god.

You are unable to understand that, no matter where you travel, every new land you visit will still never measure up to your great expectations.

Reading your posts, I am often reminded of Miss Havisham.

Go East, my son.

Go to Belize, my son.

There, you will find the land McAfee loved.

And you will feel right at home.

May you not end up like he, in Spain.

If you refer to Anutin and Prayuth as minor failures there is nothing to discuss here. You are simply an apologist for oppressive super freaks. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Isaanlife said:

Mexico is a big place. How about Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, something more expat friendly?

Costa Rica is one of the most boring countries I have ever been to. Super vanilla. And expensive. Belize is not even a contender. Panama is nice. For millionaires. 

4 hours ago, Isaanlife said:

can you share some of the things that are better in Cambodia?

Being relevant to me, IMO they are:-

1. The ease in being able to get a one year retirement visa (if over 55) - no proof of income, no need to show money in the bank, no bank account print-outs, no medical insurance, no "colored book" and no administration costs to produce these documents. Do not have to attend an Immigration Office - all applications processed by an official local agent, usually a reputable travel/ticket agency. You pay 300US$ or slightly less (290 in my case), present your valid passport, 2 pp photos, proof of registration on the FPCS (Foreign Persons in Cambodia System - similar to the Thai Form TM30) and your telephone number.  You get a receipt. Your passport and visa is returned to you in 10 working days. A retirement visa automatically includes "multiple re-entries" so no need to apply separately. Yes, slightly more expensive but HASSLE FREE!

2. No 90-Day reports to worry about. You return to your agent in one year to renew again.

3. The easy access to medication, in my case for diabetes and blood pressure control. All medicines, including insulin, can be purchased over the counter at many of the larger pharmacies, no need to wait in Thai Government Hospital queues for hours waiting to see a doctor for signature on a prescription. Costs slightly higher but again HASSLE FREE!

4. The availability in big supermarkets of a wide range of UK/USA/EU and other International non-perishable products similar to those in TOPS and Rimping (Chiang Mai) but with a much better selection. My supermarket in Siem Reap stocks a vast range of CO-OP (UK) brands as does Vietnam where there are many CO-OP minimarts, equivalent to 7-11's.

5. No draconian rules on the sale or consumption of beers, wines and spirits made by a "Temperance Society" within the Government. Restaurants, bars, nightclubs and karaoke lounges are now fully open without time restrictions. Here in Siem Reap on Christmas Eve, with all the road improvement schemes almost complete, it was great to see so many people enjoying themselves in Pub Street again (with its illuminations) at the bars and restaurants. Yes, some ex-tourist establishments were still derelict and closed, including a couple of ghetto blasting music bars that were popular with backpackers.

6. What ever your thoughts, the Cambodian Government took immediate positive action, often proactive, to contain Covid-19 from the start, including signing up to the COVAX facility. No dithering or indecisions as in Thailand.  Every person in Cambodia was offered free vaccinations, albeit Chinese vaccines. Yes, the country did succumb to the pandemic after the escape of infected Chinese ladies from quarantine in Phnom Penh which eventually spread the virus nationwide.  Now we are back to enjoying "new normal" unless Omicron decides otherwise (31 imported cases as of yesterday, all in quarantine) and the Government takes positive action again.

• Like 1

Guest Isaanlife
8 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

1. The ease in being able to get a one year retirement visa (if over 55) - no proof of income, no need to show money in the bank, no bank account print-outs, no medical insurance, no "colored book" and no administration costs to produce these documents. Do not have to attend an Immigration Office - all applications processed by an official local agent, usually a reputable travel/ticket agency. You pay 300US$ or slightly less (290 in my case), present your valid passport, 2 pp photos, proof of registration on the FPCS (Foreign Persons in Cambodia System - similar to the Thai Form TM30) and your telephone number.  You get a receipt. Your passport and visa is returned to you in 10 working days. A retirement visa automatically includes "multiple re-entries" so no need to apply separately. Yes, slightly more expensive but HASSLE FREE!

2. No 90-Day reports to worry about. You return to your agent in one year to renew again.

3. The easy access to medication, in my case for diabetes and blood pressure control. All medicines, including insulin, can be purchased over the counter at many of the larger pharmacies, no need to wait in Thai Government Hospital queues for hours waiting to see a doctor for signature on a prescription. Costs slightly higher but again HASSLE FREE!

4. The availability in big supermarkets of a wide range of UK/USA/EU and other International non-perishable products similar to those in TOPS and Rimping (Chiang Mai) but with a much better selection. My supermarket in Siem Reap stocks a vast range of CO-OP (UK) brands as does Vietnam where there are many CO-OP minimarts, equivalent to 7-11's.

5. No draconian rules on the sale or consumption of beers, wines and spirits made by a "Temperance Society" within the Government. Restaurants, bars, nightclubs and karaoke lounges are now fully open without time restrictions. Here in Siem Reap on Christmas Eve, with all the road improvement schemes almost complete, it was great to see so many people enjoying themselves in Pub Street again (with its illuminations) at the bars and restaurants. Yes, some ex-tourist establishments were still derelict and closed, including a couple of ghetto blasting music bars that were popular with backpackers.

6. What ever your thoughts, the Cambodian Government took immediate positive action, often proactive, to contain Covid-19 from the start, including signing up to the COVAX facility. No dithering or indecisions as in Thailand.  Every person in Cambodia was offered free vaccinations, albeit Chinese vaccines. Yes, the country did succumb to the pandemic after the escape of infected Chinese ladies from quarantine in Phnom Penh which eventually spread the virus nationwide.  Now we are back to enjoying "new normal" unless Omicron decides otherwise (31 imported cases as of yesterday, all in quarantine) and the Government takes positive action again.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share all the details!

Guest Isaanlife
8 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Thank you very much for taking the time to share all the details!

On 12/27/2021 at 8:11 AM, Isaanlife said:

No,

I send the girlfriend over twice a week with the truck loaded with grass so she can enjoy time with her family. I take the bike over once a week to check everything out.

Been over more times this week as we are buying more cows at great prices. The grass available roadside and other areas is fast running out (we grow our own) and farmers are selling off cows cheaply, rather then pay for feed all through the dry season.