C Drive.

NoshowJones

32 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Surely you can fit whatever size SSD you want/can afford inside your PC or laptop.

Yes - was concerned with afford not actual size (which would be smaller than most HDD) - but even cost has become much more reasonable recently.  But in Thailand computers with SSD have been rare and of small size so most not able to handle much more than operating system.  As SSD has been found to be extremely small replacement with larger (capacity) unit/clone seems to be logical.  

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes - was concerned with afford not actual size (which would be smaller than most HDD) - but even cost has become much more reasonable recently.  But in Thailand computers with SSD have been rare and of small size so most not able to handle much more than operating system.  As SSD has been found to be extremely small replacement with larger (capacity) unit/clone seems to be logical.  

250-500GB is more than enough to run an operating system.

I have SSD 250GB on my win7 computer, and SSD 500GB on my win10.

There's another 12TB on my NAS where I keep all my files and media, they are networked together.

I've been running my operating systems from SSD for about 3 years now, you really don't need to put your personal data on them. 

Crucial 500GB SSD, 2kbht

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/crucial-500gb-mx500-25-ssd-i171876997-s214829009.html

WD 4TB My Passport USB drive, 2k8bht

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/wd-my-passport-4tb-white-usb-30-hdd-25-wdbpkj0040bwt-wesn-internal-harddisk-harddrive-i1085212794-s2456350601.html

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

250-500GB is more than enough to run an operating system.

I have SSD 250GB on my win7 computer, and SSD 500GB on my win10.

There's another 12TB on my NAS where I keep all my files and media, they are networked together.

WD 4TB 'My Passport' USB drives are very cheap.

I agree for just the operating system 250 or 500 is enough. I got more as i got a lot of programs and other stuff. But possum had 113GB. You can see that is a problem.

• Like 2

OP, I had the exact same problem as you a few years ago.  

It was like disappearing or shrinking C Drive, despite no new programs being added.

I did a disk clean up and some other things mentioned by members on this thread, but still I had not much C Drive left.

In my case, the problem was the restore point setting had changed from around 5% that I normally have it on, to the maximum, 100%.  So I had a stack of restore points, many from sometime ago, taking up a lot of space.

Solution for me was delete every restore point, move the slider back down to 5%, and then create a fresh restore point.  

When I looked at my C Drive, space was back to where it should have been.

You may like to check this out.  You lose no data, but of course, only delete restore points if your computer is running fine, accept for the lack of C Drive space.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

OP, I had the exact same problem as you a few years ago.  

It was like disappearing or shrinking C Drive, despite no new programs being added.

I did a disk clean up and some other things mentioned by members on this thread, but still I had not much C Drive left.

In my case, the problem was the restore point setting had changed from around 5% that I normally have it on, to the maximum, 100%.  So I had a stack of restore points, many from sometime ago, taking up a lot of space.

Solution for me was delete every restore point, move the slider back down to 5%, and then create a fresh restore point.  

When I looked at my C Drive, space was back to where it should have been.

You may like to check this out.  You lose no data, but of course, only delete restore points if your computer is running fine, accept for the lack of C Drive space.  

I am going to move the items in C drive to D drive which is almost empty.

8 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Nice to hear that you helped Possum via Teamviewer, a great application.

Unfortunately I stopped using it as soon as they sponsored that second best Manchester football team.    LOL 555

They told me I'm using TeamViewer professionally and demanded I purchase a license then cut me off, this was a few years ago and I've been using AnyDesk since then.

I only connect to a few computers owned by my family members to help them out when everything goes wrong for them which tends to happen about once a month as they haven't got a clue what they're doing.

You can't go wrong with an 18TB drive, they're not cheap but if you need the space then they're worth it.

5 minutes ago, ukrules said:

They told me I'm using TeamViewer professionally and demanded I purchase a license then cut me off, this was a few years ago and I've been using AnyDesk since then.

I only connect to a few computers owned by my family members to help them out when everything goes wrong for them which tends to happen about once a month as they haven't got a clue what they're doing.

You can't go wrong with an 18TB drive, they're not cheap but if you need the space then they're worth it.

i know, they are very expensive, I will just transfer my C drive items on to my D disk which is almost empty.

On 12/6/2021 at 6:10 PM, JetsetBkk said:

I did similar to that many years ago, but the added drive eventually became nearly full again, requiring a repeat process: 

1322422907_MyDrives.jpg.919bbf285d271d416ec7c2fac595bd79.jpg

One advantage of not filling up the C drive with user data is that the System Images that everyone makes every few months ???? aren't so big. 

I don't make a system image. That is a real space gobbler. I simply have a usb plugged in and backup my files to that and make sure I keep it updated regularly. I also back up onto a mobile drive as an added precaution, and include on that a partition for tv shows and movies I want to keep. Even though just about everything is readily available to download again via a torrent if I want it. So I'm told ????

An alternative for the OP is to decide if they really do need everything on the drive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I am going to move the items in C drive to D drive which is almost empty.

Many things are required to remain on Drive C for systems/programs to operate so be very careful and have help before doing that.  Backups/photos/downloads and such can probably be moved but some programs may be effected   If Drive D is actually the same physical drive as C perhaps better to combine with C to make that drive larger.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Many things are required to remain on Drive C for systems/programs to operate so be very careful and have help before doing that.  Backups/photos/downloads and such can probably be moved but some programs may be effected   If Drive D is actually the same physical drive as C perhaps better to combine with C to make that drive larger.

Can you tell me how I can combine them? It is the same as C.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Can you tell me how I can combine them? It is the same as C.

Rather have someone from computer age give that advise (about 80 so not the best source as grew up in the Teletype era).  This YouTube is a free way to do it - just make sure anything on D is moved to C or elsewhere first.  Many other show how on net and YouTube and clone software makes also allow merge options (but most are for sale rather than free).

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

i know, they are very expensive, I will just transfer my C drive items on to my D disk which is almost empty.

It would be better to let Windows know that you are moving your User folders. Go to C;Users:Possum????, find say your Documents folder, right click, select Properties, Location, Move, say where you want to move it to, eg D drive then apply. It will move all files to that new location and in future all Documents will automatically go there. Then do same for Pictures, Videos, Games etc. THEN back it all up onto One Drive.

Another solution is to delete all the movies you've already watched and have had for donkey's years. You can always get them again if the urge to watch again arises. Same with Music.

Edited by KannikaP

Possum,

I looked at your drive it will be really hard move stuff, plus you won't make much extra room. I already looked at it. 

If you start to mess with it to much you wont win much room, i thought all your data was already on your external drive.

You just had your program files on your C :

If i had seen other ways to gain more space I would have, butt here is nothing much to change anymore.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

It would be better to let Windows know that you are moving your User folders. Go to C;Users:Possum????, find say your Documents folder, right click, select Properties, Location, Move, say where you want to move it to, eg D drive then apply. It will move all files to that new location and in future all Documents will automatically go there. Then do same for Pictures, Videos, Games etc. THEN back it all up onto One Drive.

Another solution is to delete all the movies you've already watched and have had for donkey's years. You can always get them again if the urge to watch again arises. Same with Music.

Any movies I have watched have been deleted, there are only about a dozen movies on my computer it would not hurt to lose them as I could get them again. I have all my main movies on external hard drives, all my music is on my phone.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, robblok said:

Possum,

I looked at your drive it will be really hard move stuff, plus you won't make much extra room. I already looked at it. 

If you start to mess with it to much you wont win much room, i thought all your data was already on your external drive.

You just had your program files on your C :

If i had seen other ways to gain more space I would have, butt here is nothing much to change anymore.

PM  on it's way Rob.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KannikaP said:

That's a good idea. Then I could get rid of a few terabytes of films.

But I want to keep the music and TV series.  ???? 

If only there was an easy way to share this stuff...

AtoF.jpg

FtoP.jpg

PtoT.jpg

TtoZ.jpg

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

That's a good idea. Then I could get rid of a few terabytes of films.

But I want to keep the music and TV series.  ???? 

If only there was an easy way to share this stuff...

AtoF.jpg

FtoP.jpg

PtoT.jpg

TtoZ.jpg

WHY? When any of those films and music can be downloaded easily.

Edited by KannikaP

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

WHY? When any of those films and music can be downloaded easily.

I keep most of my downloaded movies on an external hard drive and only recently started keep some on a folder on the computer, (36) and was wondering if that had anything to do with my C drive filling up. I accept now it is something to do with my SSD as I never had that problem before.

50 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I keep most of my downloaded movies on an external hard drive and only recently started keep some on a folder on the computer, (36) and was wondering if that had anything to do with my C drive filling up. I accept now it is something to do with my SSD as I never had that problem before.

Is it a 'genuine' SSD drive. Some fakes say they are say 250GB, but really will only hold half of that.

Did you uninstall all programs you never use? Although I am sure Robblok would have suggested this.

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

Is it a 'genuine' SSD drive. Some fakes say they are say 250GB, but really will only hold half of that.

Did you uninstall all programs you never use? Although I am sure Robblok would have suggested this.

Yes, it is genuine, I got it done a few months ago from my local dealer at a cost of 2000Bt. I had about 30 movies in a folder and transferred them on to a external hard drive right now and find that my C drive is now a bit more empty than full.

• Like 1