C Drive.

NoshowJones

8 hours ago, fangless said:

Have you actually tried to use the inbuilt disc cleanup system?

Right click on "C" and click clean-up!

cleanup.thumb.jpg.634fc28348529e211862310cdf4ab9f7.jpg 

Yes, I have done that and it has cleared it up a little, but it is only a matter of time before it fills up again. as has been pointed out One More Farang and CharlieH have the best solution.

9 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

No!

XP!  

My old XP PC cost 37,000 baht to build 9 years ago, and it's still my main PC for emailing.  ????

My Windows 10 PC is about 2 1/2 years old - same Samsung monitor, same Gigabyte MoBo, similar CoolerMaster case and PSU. I only use that one when I can't access sites on my XP machine because Google Chrome says: "Aw, Snap! Something went wrong..." or "Your clock is ahead. A private connection to xxxxx can't be established..."

I suppose one day I'll have to convert all my emails (from 1996 onwards) to the latest Outlook and make the move permanently to Win10.

Until that happens, I'm using one mouse and keyboard to access both PCs with the help of a nice little utility called "Input Director" - the mouse can jump from one screen to the other, and which ever one it's on is the one the keyboard talks to.

Emails saved from 25 years ago ? WHY?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, possum1931 said:

After nearly 20 years without any C drive problems, it now decides to start. No wonder I sometimes cannot understand computers.

It gets full as stuff gets saved new programs installed updates are done and things get bigger. Sometimes the C is just too small.

Like others say you need to move data to an separate disk.

You might have one.

Possum you got a lot of problems, would it not help to find someone near you that can help you or maybe find someone who can help you with a program like teamviewer. 

Teamviewer allows an other person to remotely control your computer (with your computer turned on and you watching).

I would be willing to take a look for you. 

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

If you do not want to go into special operations that need some special knowledge - and might bring you in certain troubles - the most easiest way is to buy a portable hard disk (1,500 - 2,500 Baht) and move there all the old files that are not necessarily needed every day.   

• Like 1

As said above a very large USB drive can be had for less than 1,000 baht and are very easy to use (for both your computers if you wish).

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/wd-my-passport-2tb-usb-30-hdd-25-internal-harddisk-harddrive-wd-external-hdd-2tb-portable-hard-drive-i2999842447-s11002337211.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.10.21f9247cH1njxc&search=1WD My Passport 2TB USB 3.0 HDD 2.5 ( ฮาร์ดดิสพกพา Internal Harddisk Harddrive ) WD External hdd 2TB Portable Hard Drive อุปกรณ์จัดเก็บข้อมูล ฮาร์ดดิสก์ภายนอก

Edited by lopburi3

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Did you click on CLEAN SYSTEM FILES, and DELETE SYSTEM RESTORE FILES except the last one in the Disk Clean Up dialogue? 

This will delete any previous versions of Windows lingering around and could clear lots of space taken up by the Sys Restore files. Try it.

Yes I did and it cleared my C drive a little bit. I thing CharlieH has the right idea, get the drive replace for one with a lot more space, at present only have about 170GBs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes I did and it cleared my C drive a little bit. I thing CharlieH has the right idea, get the drive replace for one with a lot more space, at present only have about 170GBs.

Getting a cloning program for free could be a problem. Have a look at AOMEI Backupper, and use the trial Pro Version to clone your present C Drive onto a bigger one when you get one.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

It gets full as stuff gets saved new programs installed updates are done and things get bigger. Sometimes the C is just too small.

Like others say you need to move data to an separate disk.

You might have one.

Possum you got a lot of problems, would it not help to find someone near you that can help you or maybe find someone who can help you with a program like teamviewer. 

Teamviewer allows an other person to remotely control your computer (with your computer turned on and you watching).

I would be willing to take a look for you. 

Thanks a lot Rob, the local technician cannot understand any English, neither can the one in the next town. My nearest farang friend stays in the next province over 100Ks away, and I can't even go and see him because of the pandemic.

All my Farang friends have either died or moved away.

41 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Thanks I will look into that.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

Thanks a lot Rob, the local technician cannot understand any English, neither can the one in the next town. My nearest farang friend stays in the next province over 100Ks away, and I can't even go and see him because of the pandemic.

All my Farang friends have either died or moved away.

Id be willing to take a look with teamviewer (a program you have to install and then send me details while we either call or are on the line chat app). Once i got the details i basically can look at your computer and see where the problem is. I might be able to correct it but i cant say for sure as i need to see first.

14 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Emails saved from 25 years ago ? WHY?

I was thinking of writing a book...

???? No, not really. I'm a hoarder. Can't help it. You should see all the old junk I have in my computer room.

Did you notice the 5 x 2TB drives in my PC? I've also got 5 x 2TB USB drives as backup. I don't dare lose anything.

I need help.  :cheesy: 

• Haha 2

On 12/6/2021 at 3:20 AM, possum1931 said:

but I just want things to be like they were for the last 20 years.

I feel your pain, I want my weenie to function the way it did 20 years ago, but alas . . .

Back then it was Windows XP, the entire installation was less than 1Gb.  My Win 10 installation, with most of my apps and personal data on other drives/partitions (and no MS Office) is around 40Gb, never succeeded in getting it any lower. 

An easy thing to do that may help a bit is check your browser settings, get it to clear cache whenever you close it -- not the full solution to your problem, but it removes a boatload of carp.

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2021 at 6:20 PM, possum1931 said:

That's true, but I just want things to be like they were for the last 20 years.

Clone it onto a 18TB drive and make the C drive into a single 18TB partition.

This will last you for a very long time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Clone it onto a 18TB drive and make the C drive into a single 18TB partition.

This will last you for a very long time.

@possum 18TB drive will be far out of your price range. So your like is misplaced. Im pretty sure Uk rules was taking the <deleted>. Plus you cant stop progress computers and software changes for the better IMHO. Maybe not for you but for those of us who use the new features its often worth it. 

18Tb goes for around 15.000bt and that is one of those older big slower harddisks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

If you have SSD they are probably not large so for downloads you would want to direct them to an external drive

Surely you can fit whatever size SSD you want/can afford inside your PC or laptop.

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

Surely you can fit whatever size SSD you want/can afford inside your PC or laptop.

Indeed, my 4tb SSD m2 NVME is large and i got an other 2tb SSD m2 NVME in it. 

I do store a lot of data on the 4tb (not movies) and its important to keep safe and access fast. Plus i play games (i know im a big kid). You would be amazed at the size of VR games, even regular games get huge. I still had room on the 2tb when i replaced but it was quickly getting less.

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

No i am not .. im just an idiot that did not look well at the spell checker.

But you knew that, i meant previous versions of.

Nice to hear that you helped Possum via Teamviewer, a great application.

Unfortunately I stopped using it as soon as they sponsored that second best Manchester football team.    LOL 555

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Unfortunately I stopped using it as soon as they sponsored that second best Manchester football team.    LOL 555

If i can help someone I will and stuff like this is easy with teamviewer. To have people who are not that great with computers follow instructions on this forum and do it right is a huge challenge. Not to mention that they first need to get the problem right and converse that to the ones reading the topic.

I use teamviewer when I need to help my dad, he is quite ok but sometimes requires a bit of help. Works as a charm its a great bit of software. 

As I have no soccer love I dont mind who they sponsor as long as it is not that Hamilton that is bullying poor verstappen.  (not race fan either just read the headlines these two really have it out for each other). Hamilton is without a doubt the better media person and better dresser. Was just a tongue in cheek remark after seeing so much of that saga in the headlines of the Dutch newspaper i read.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

That would be Manchester United then. ????

45 minutes ago, robblok said:

@possum 18TB drive will be far out of your price range. So your like is misplaced. Im pretty sure Uk rules was taking the <deleted>. Plus you cant stop progress computers and software changes for the better IMHO. Maybe not for you but for those of us who use the new features its often worth it. 

18Tb goes for around 15.000bt and that is one of those older big slower harddisks.

Noted Rob.