Retirement Visa agents

12 minutes ago, K Chan said:

Was that used for opening a bank account? Did you use any other documentation, like condo lease agreement or something else?

As stated earlier opening Bank account can be a task in itself.

Especially on a tourist visa or visa exempt. 

Having stated that, it is possible.

I personally found Kasikorn bank had less requirements and were helpful when I last opened an account within last two years.

Without a lease you may be required to supply a residence certificate. The problem with that is for Bangkok immigration you need to have filed a 90 day report. You have not.

To get around that you can obtain statement from your embassy.

As previously mentioned, this is one part of the process that you may wish to use an agent.

With the 800k deposited into the bank the non O is straight forward as is the 12 month extension obtained couple months later.

Again as mentioned previously you mention non Thai wife.

What are your plans for her? 

There is a path for married partner (non Thai) to "piggy back" as your dependent. Alternatively do the exact same process for her.

You have not indicated your plan.

Another consideration is if your plan is to be ongoing continued extensions. Living in Thailand.

If it's just for a year there would be good case to suggest just use agent to enable no funds in bank.

• Like 1

If you want the visa application (90-day stay) plus one-year extension to be processed in Bangkok, the quoted prices are not totally out of line if you cannot meet the requirements. However, it looks as though you pretty much can. The condo rental thing does not need to be an insuperable problem in Bangkok (though it can be at some immigration offices). Bangkok will accept an explanation that you are staying in a hotel while looking for a permanent place to live. If the bank account opening, condo (and TM30) are the only issues, it ought to be possible to find an agent who can help for 10,000 baht or so.

If the conclusion of an agent is that you cannot satisfy the normal requirements, and you are willing to accept processing by an immigration office where you are not living, the cost is much cheaper than in Bangkok. Appropriate charges are then 3,000 baht (bank account opening) plus 9,000 baht (visa application) plus 14,000 baht (one-year extension) which is a total of 26,000 baht. This is for a very experienced and reliable agent. You can cut 2,000 to 3,000 baht off this for the cheapest agents.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP mentions providing his own funds and using money in bank method.

The service you outline is for agent to cover the financials. Different situation completely.

BTW ...the prices you outline are standard even slightly overs.

Well, i said IF he needs. No harm to get info or to have other options.  Also im pretty sure it will be cheaper too because he already has 800k. Thats something they need to discuss. And im still sure her prices will be NOT over than many known agencies. Anyway, its his choice. 

Edited by problemfarang

6 hours ago, K Chan said:

Was that used for opening a bank account? Did you use any other documentation, like condo lease agreement or something else?

I dont have any dealings with Bkk - My experiences are solely based in Phuket. I went into the local Immigration office in Patong, Phuket & told them i wanted to open up a bank account. I showed them my passport & paid 500 baht. They gave me a residency certificate which had my picture on it. They took my picture themselves.

I then took this to Bangkok Bank but they insisted that i take out one of their accident insurances. I didnt want to but i eventually agreed because i needed an account there and then.

Cheapest 12 month policy was 5900 baht - plus 500 baht deposit into account plus 500 baht deposit for an ATM card - Job done.

You need to try to be more clear about what it is that you are actually trying to achieve here long term so as people can advise you accordingly.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

I dont have any dealings with Bkk - My experiences are solely based in Phuket. I went into the local Immigration office in Patong, Phuket & told them i wanted to open up a bank account. I showed them my passport & paid 500 baht. They gave me a residency certificate which had my picture on it. They took my picture themselves.

I then took this to Bangkok Bank but they insisted that i take out one of their accident insurances. I didnt want to but i eventually agreed because i needed an account there and then.

Cheapest 12 month policy was 5900 baht - plus 500 baht deposit into account plus 500 baht deposit for an ATM card - Job done.

You need to try to be more clear about what it is that you are actually trying to achieve here long term so as people can advise you accordingly.

11 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Be careful, this insurance policy is annually re-newed.  You may have to cancel it when the time comes.  SCB has similar insurance policy but costs only 599THB annually.

2 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

Be careful, this insurance policy is annually re-newed.  You may have to cancel it when the time comes.  SCB has similar insurance policy but costs only 599THB annually.

Thanx for the advice but i told them straight, its only for 12 months and i have no intention whatsoever of renewing - 

17 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

I have asked/pointed that out few times in the thread. Apart from all that there is also the non Thai wife.

Very confusing.

An aside, I have mentioned Siam Legal or other agent can open a bank account. They use Bangkok Bank. 

Cost ~ 4500baht. 

Edited by DrJack54

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

I have asked/pointed that out few times in the thread. Apart from all that there is also the non Thai wife.

Very confusing.

Maybe he just wants to retire here alone and send the wife back home to the UK ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Thanx for the advice but i told them straight, its only for 12 months and i have no intention whatsoever of renewing - 

If they are honest, they will send you a reminder a month before renewal (you will have to react if you don't want it).  Otherwise check your bank account after 1 year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RedArmy said:

Maybe he just wants to retire here alone and send the wife back home to the UK ?

Haha, planning to swap her for a new local one! Joking aside, we're doing separate retirement visas, she has her money I have mine.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, K Chan said:

Haha, planning to swap her for a new local one! Joking aside, we're doing separate retirement visas, she has her money I have mine.

Finally...some clarification.

So the prices and everything else in this thread is for TWO bank accounts and 2 extensions using money in bank method ....providing your own funds. 

Total 1.6 mil baht.

Unbelievable.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Very confusing.

An aside, I have mentioned Siam Legal or other agent can open a bank account. They use Bangkok Bank. 

Cost ~ 4500baht. 

A rip off.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Finally...some clarification.

So the prices and everything else in this thread is for TWO bank accounts and 2 extensions using money in bank method ....providing your own funds. 

Total 1.6 mil baht.

Unbelievable.

No, all prices given are just for myself. So agent will charge double, with discount (so kind of them) for doing two. I didn't mention her initially because we wanted separate visa applications.

9 minutes ago, K Chan said:

No, all prices given are just for myself. So agent will charge double, with discount (so kind of them) for doing two. I didn't mention her initially because we wanted separate visa applications.

In that case the prices you mention are beyond laughable. 

Could perhaps even say the same if it was the price for both of you.

Just to give you an indication...

If you were not even providing your OWN money to place into bank account. The non O with Extension would be approx 25k

However you seem to be in the position to transfer funds. 

All you need is agent assistance along with opening Bank account. 

10-13k all up per person.

Or do it yourself apart from bank account. 

On 12/9/2021 at 12:17 PM, K Chan said:

So we don't need a condo address to open a bank account? And the immigration process is straight forward enough?

I open a bank account on my touristvisa.Bangkok bank in surin.No problems.When i arrived inside the bank the manager took me rigth to his office and fixed everything.Gey my atmcard in minutes.

On 12/9/2021 at 6:17 PM, K Chan said:

So we don't need a condo address to open a bank account? And the immigration process is straight forward enough?

I don't see what you would need a lawyer for... just get a regular visa agent.. mine costs about 5,000 bht or so.. I don't really remember but nothing near 40k baht... you don't need anyone to go with you to set up a bank account... go to a bank. 

3 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

you don't need anyone to go with you to set up a bank account... go to a bank.

Please outline your recent experience in opening a bank account in Bangkok with a tourist visa or visa exempt stamp.

Not saying it's impossible. 

Just clear indication of what was required. 

On 12/9/2021 at 5:31 AM, flbkk said:

Many people who use agents do it because they don’t have the money in the bank and these Fixers have a way to sort that.

I'm being offered this exact service, but I don't quite know what to think. Someone who lives in Thailand is offering me a referral to their agent, whom I'm told can get me the 1-year non-O extension without my even actually having the money in the bank. This is obviously very tempting, but before I could do it I'd need to know whether there is any way that it could backfire on me and leave me in a bad position later where I can't explain why there isn't 800K in the bank or something. Do these agents Photoshop bank statements, or what? I don't have moral qualms about their methods, but I need to know what the method is so that I can feel okay about being involved, what the risks are if any.

I could put 800K in the bank, but clearly anyone who is given the choice is probably going to choose the way that doesn't require it. Choosing between having $24,000 tied up continuously in a Thai bank account versus spending $600 per year and not have the 800K in the bank seems pretty easy. But if it's the type of thing where I could get caught out and wouldn't have the same agent be able to get me out of it, it wouldn't be worth it. Do you know if that's something that can happen?

Edited by PadPrikKhing
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, PadPrikKhing said:

I'm being offered this exact service, but I don't quite know what to think. Someone who lives in Thailand is offering me a referral to their agent, whom I'm told can get me the 1-year non-O extension without my even actually having the money in the bank. This is obviously very tempting, but before I could do it I'd need to know whether there is any way that it could backfire on me and leave me in a bad position later where I can't explain why there isn't 800K in the bank or something. Do these agents Photoshop bank statements, or what? I don't have moral qualms about their methods, but I need to know what the method is so that I can feel okay about being involved, what the risks are if any.

I could put 800K in the bank, but clearly anyone who is given the choice is probably going to choose the way that doesn't require it. Choosing between having $24,000 tied up continuously in a Thai bank account versus spending $600 per year and not have the 800K in the bank seems pretty easy. But if it's the type of thing where I could get caught out and wouldn't have the same agent be able to get me out of it, it wouldn't be worth it. Do you know if that's something that can happen?

You are going to worry and fret about it after the event, it is not for you

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

You are going to worry and fret about it after the event, it is not for you

I'm only worrying now because I may want to take advantage of it, but I don't have more detailed info. If I can find out that info, and have a better idea how the method works, I won't worry. But if it's like a magic trick that I'm supposed to trust but am not allowed to know the secret of, I don't want to risk my stay in the country using it. I just want to know how an agent is going to pull off making it look like I have 800K in a bank account when I don't. Does the agent just straight-up bribe the IO? Wonderful! Whatever it is, I'm not judging... I just want to know so I can evaulate whether there is a risk of the method failing and leaving me in a bad position. I mean, if the agent simply bribes the IO and gets me the stamp/visa, but then sometime later someone else can blindside me with a demand to examine a bank book that I don't have, then the method is no good. Know what I mean?

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Its a widely discussed topic on this forum. Is it legal, can I get caught, how do they do it etc. Its a grey area, lol

Rest assured, a huge percentage of the expat population use agents, have done for years, and will continue to do so.

Next time you are with a group of expats, do a quick pol, you will find most are using agents.

You get a legal stamp in your passport from immigration, with or without the correct documents.

There are big, foreign run agents in Pattaya, who will tell you straight up that the application goes straight through to a high ranking officer, who can (or do) approve anything.

Ironically, any measures immigration puts in place to stop the practice (change money in bank requirements) ends up with more people using agents.

Thanks, I'm still in the US so I won't get to hang out with expats until after I get there. I'm over here trying to calculate my method for getting in and staying in.

Edited by PadPrikKhing
Trimmed out superfluous material

32 minutes ago, PadPrikKhing said:

I'm only worrying now because I may want to take advantage of it, but I don't have more detailed info. If I can find out that info, and have a better idea how the method works, I won't worry. But if it's like a magic trick that I'm supposed to trust but am not allowed to know the secret of, I don't want to risk my stay in the country using it. I just want to know how an agent is going to pull off making it look like I have 800K in a bank account when I don't. Does the agent just straight-up bribe the IO? Wonderful! Whatever it is, I'm not judging... I just want to know so I can evaulate whether there is a risk of the method failing and leaving me in a bad position. I mean, if the agent simply bribes the IO and gets me the stamp/visa, but then sometime later someone else can blindside me with a demand to examine a bank book that I don't have, then the method is no good. Know what I mean?

Its a risk, and if later you want to go legit the concern is they check last year's documents. 

My understanding is once through an agent while not meeting requirements then it would possibly tie you into using an agent for future extensions. 

Accompanied by, if you are that type of person, continuous looking over your shoulder, is why I say it's not for you

45 minutes ago, PadPrikKhing said:

Correct.

Don't do it if it scares you.

There are thousands who put their faith in this corrupt system - and they will never have a problem because too many people make too much money from it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PadPrikKhing said:

Thanks, I'm still in the US so I won't get to hang out with expats until after I get there. I'm over here trying to calculate my method for getting in and staying in.

I guess I'm just uncomfortable moving to the other side of the world without knowing in advance the nuts and bolts of how it's all going to work. I imagine most people's attitude toward agents about this is "Just get it done... I don't need to know how you do it," but my mindset is much more one of "I don't mind considering this. Tell me how it's done and I will calculate the risk and then decide."

The conventional wisdom as to "how its done" , A high ranking immigration officer has the discretionary power to approve visa/extensions that don't meet all the requirements. The agents gets your application through to the officer who has the approved stamp.

5 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Its a risk, and if later you want to go legit the concern is they check last year's documents. 

My understanding is once through an agent while not meeting requirements then it would possibly tie you into using an agent for future extensions. 

Accompanied by, if you are that type of person, continuous looking over your shoulder, is why I say it's not for you

Just to elaborate on that valid point - I switched from monthly income to money in the bank. I thought that 800k for 2 months would be the only criteria but, no, the IO checked that I had complied with the terms of the PREVIOUS approval by checking monthly transfers into my account. 

6 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I have switched from agent back to doing it myself with no problems. 

Even if they did check, the money in the bank etc is for last years extension, not this years extension.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The conventional wisdom as to "how its done" , A high ranking immigration officer has the discretionary power to approve visa/extensions that don't meet all the requirements. The agents gets your application through to the officer who has the approved stamp.

That discretion only extends to extensions based on retirement.

Extensions based on marriage are signed off elsewhere.

• Like 1