Masks with exhalation valves officially banned while traveling by aircraft in Thailand, CAAT reports

snoop1130

I do a fair bit of carpentry. We all know there's a lot of dust being generated. The problem we have now is that saws, planers and thicknessers, sanders all say - I'm not going to wear that dust collector, it only partially protects me anyway.     

Thank God most people aren't as stupid as wood working tools 

44 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Posters who resort to  personal comments use this tactic because the facts are against them.

Or because they are making a joke. My comment about "uneducated" above was a joke. Sure, I have absolutely no idea how a person logically can think that masks don't protect society in a pandemic, but that was not the point  

Edited by MikeyIdea

33 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

people cough or sneeze

This is an absolutely valid reason to request people wear masks indoors in public spaces all things considered.

These days people are extremely I'll mannered and don't cover their faces when they sneeze.

A larger question is assuming the person has covid - they have been sitting next to you for five hours and didn't sneeze. Do you think that mask protects? Judging by Thai rules of hospitalizing even negative people sitting next to positive they do not believe masks make a bit of difference.

They really don't.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

How about anti maskers who need a surgical procedure?

Would you tell the surgeon not to wear a mask during the operation?

The surgeon's mask which many of us wear is there for protection of the patient. So the physician doesn't accidentally expectorate into the open body.

There's zero protection in that mask.

Edited by TheScience
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, TheScience said:

Numerous quality studies but can't post here because they are not mainstream media and therefore NOT Thai Visa approved.

Really? From top level journals? Studies that haven't been withdrawn? The problem is that dodgy researchers can always get their studies published in what are called "open access" journals. There are lots of them that operate basically on a "pay to play" model. The researcher has to pay the journal in order to get their work published. I have no doubt that the authorities here would have no problem were you to cite research supporting your case if it was published in a leading scientific journal. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

So your trying to say that by wearing a mask and a face shield when I was splattered by expectorated blood from a HIV infected patient, it did not protect me?  Really now, if you are a medical professional you would know that we where these not only to protect others but to protect ourselves, much like we wear a PPE, and or a surgical smock that is donned and doffed as we prepare and then complete a procedure or transport.  31 years on an ambulance as a medic tells me your not looking at the big picture, but then we are way off topic now.

Oh, now it's a plastic shield as well.

We don't know it if helped. All we know evidently is you don't apparently have HIV.

I thought we were discussing a surgeon in an operating room in which the patient has been presumably screened. I'm thinking a routine, simple operation and here you are throwing total drama at me.

You should change your username to STRAWMAN

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Is your post just being sarcastic, or do you believe what you posted?  Masks do work at reducing the contact one has with the droplets of others.

Masks with exhalation valves (which is the subject) do nothing to stop droplets, proper FFP2 masks without valves do.

4 minutes ago, bougnat said:

No, the "masks" do not protect the wearer, moreover it is written on the box. It is a simple bib that avoids the projection of postillions  potentially carrying the virus. They are used in hospitals to reduce cases of nosocomial disease .

It's really frowned on to change quotes. What possible reason could you have to claim that I cited text that was written in French. I read French so I know it's a translation, but what possessed you to do that?

And I don't really care what the box says. Has the box had its research published in a journal? Should we call it Dr. Box?

Wearing a mask isn’t just about protecting other people, the CDC says. It can help you — and might prevent lockdowns.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/11/12/covid-masks-protect-wearers/

Has it occurred to you that what's written on the box might be legal boilerplate text designed to protect the manufacturer from claims of liability?

3 minutes ago, TheScience said:

Oh, now it's a plastic shield as well.

We don't know it if helped. All we know evidently is you don't apparently have HIV.

I thought we were discussing a surgeon in an operating room in which the patient has been presumably screened. I'm thinking a routine, simple operation and here you are throwing total drama at me.

You should change your username to STRAWMAN

So your saying surgeons do not wear face shields or such to protect their eyes as well....try again, but if you were a medical professional you would know this already.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheScience said:

DDG is just Bing.

I always use DDG. Whatever, you're all very clever. Go find the truth.

Try again it is not just Bing...lol

MetaCrawler is a search engine. It is a registered trademark of InfoSpace and was created by Aaron Collins. It was originally a metasearch engine, as its name suggests. Throughout its lifetime it combined web search results from sources including Google, Yahoo!, Bing, Ask.com, About.com, MIVA, LookSmart and other search engine programs.Wikipedia

Ha, ha, ha.  I have a lot of N-95 masks with exhalation valves I use in my woodshop.  I purchased them pre-pandemic when they were cheap.  If I truly want protection, those are my go to, as they are the only ones that will protect the wearer.  The "surgical masks" everybody is wearing are a joke.  So, if I want to fly and want protection, too, I'll just double mask.  My N-95 with a valve and a cheap, loose-fitting surgical mask to hide it!  Ha, ha, ha.   There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Joules said:

Ha, ha, ha.  I have a lot of N-95 masks with exhalation valves I use in my woodshop.  I purchased them pre-pandemic when they were cheap.  If I truly want protection, those are my go to, as they are the only ones that will protect the wearer.  The "surgical masks" everybody is wearing are a joke.  So, if I want to fly and want protection, too, I'll just double mask.  My N-95 with a valve and a cheap, loose-fitting surgical mask to hide it!  Ha, ha, ha.   There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

That sounds like a great plan. Especially, if you want to enjoy a run-in with the staff of the airline.

• Haha 1

Just now, Joules said:

Ha, ha, ha.  I have a lot of N-95 masks with exhalation valves I use in my woodshop.  I purchased them pre-pandemic when they were cheap

Yeah, me too. I got them to wear on my bike in the January smoke and exhaust fumes. Oh well.

Just now, jerrymahoney said:

This needs context
EVIDENCE

While Fauci, along with several other US health leaders, initially advised people not to wear masks, Fauci later said that he was concerned that there wouldn’t be enough protective equipment for health care workers. This was also early in the pandemic before public health experts fully knew how contagious the disease was and how it spread.

Actually, at the time, there wasn't much in the way of good research of how well masks performed. What little there was suggested that they wouldn't provide much protection in a pandemic.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

I think mask wearing is great, but I have seen this too often when people wear the mask when they have to cough or sneeze they lift the mask. Waiting in the check out line in Tesco I was slimed by a very young beautiful girl behind me that lifted her mask and sneezed all this liquid on my arm. She did say sorry and the check out girl did have a towel to wipe it off. So my point is when the masks are use correctly their great but I see a lot of people misuse them or wear them on their chin.

Did you get her number? Perhaps she’ll lift something else for you later on…? ???? 

15 hours ago, bdenner said:

I use quality masks BUT now we are approaching the cooler season my glasses are fogged up.

Although I have not flown for 2 years I'm sure it could be a problem.

What's the solution?

Get a mask with a straw hole!  They haven't banned straw holes yet!  I kind of like that one with the zipper, too.  You can just sneak it open when you glasses start to fog.

Reusable Straw Hole Zipper Mask Easy to Drink Washable Drinking Face Mask |  Wish

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Try and read my post and not interpret is as wearing it to protect others but both protecting the wearer from others droplets and being a responsible individual to protect others from you spreading droplets. It works both ways.

How do they protect your eyes?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Is your post just being sarcastic, or do you believe what you posted?  Masks do work at reducing the contact one has with the droplets of others.

Mask don't work against viruses!...but they may stop the direct spread of ...droplets,yes ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1