Pattaya City officials say they continue to work to solve problems with overpopulation of street dogs in the area

Jonathan Fairfield

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The thread notification activated  and I replied to it..just as you are now responding! LOL. Or don't  you know how this forum works?

But I am pleased to say around Pratumnak and cozy beach it appears many dangerous stray dogs  have been put down making the area much safer.  So we'll done to the authorities!

I think that you are confused. You replied to a five month old post. Are you suggesting that the notification was delayed by five months??

I replied to something that you just posted. Understand the difference? 

Have a nice day. I will reply to you again only if you post something that makes sense.

Pattaya please remove the soi dogs, dump them in a jungle some where, but, please let the stray pussies to keep running around and let more in, and remove the ones that become covered in tats and strange coloured hair.

On 12/14/2021 at 4:55 PM, Thunglom said:

Culls can't work.

If you KILL the dogs - what happens is that within a few days the space they occupied is taken up by dogs from adjacent zones.

Dogs can breed from about the age of 6 months to a year old, pregnancy lasts about 2 months and a bitch will usually have about 6 pups....this can be up to 12!

A bitch living unsupervised, can have up to 3 litters a year and can continue this until ill health prevents it from happening........ this could mean over a dozen litters or so 

Oh culling works great - done sufficiently and in tandem with other  methods  of control

8 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Oh culling works great - done sufficiently and in tandem with other  methods  of control

Culling does NOT work - this has been shown all over the world. The only place it has a chance is on small islands

it CAN"T work for precisely the reasons I've outlined above.

now you need to specify what you mean by "other methods of control" and how you think they work with culling.

Edited by Thunglom

13 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Of course it works. A couple posters here  will give you everything else and a song except the solution. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/13/2021 at 1:21 AM, Stargeezr said:

Dog problems again? Why are the stray soi dogs not taken care of by the government.

The government could hire a dog catcher, and if the dog has an owner, it has to have a collar and

registered number on it. If not the dog gets put down, or killed off as it costs to feed these animals.

Most countries have modern policies to take care of this problem. A third world, or developing country

however has its many excuses, or reasons that it has to do things differently.

I agree with your sentiment, however, the real reason why this is not done is down to Thais and their Buddhist beliefs. I guess that the average Thai would be horrified at the thought of soi dogs being rounded up and killed, however, it would be interesting to get their views on the subject.

17 hours ago, morrobay said:

Of course it works. A couple posters here  will give you everything else and a song except the solution. 

Just a little research will show that culling does not and cannot work.

the solution used in countries that have dealt with their dog problems is  CNVR  - Capture, neuter, vaccinate and RETURN.

I think people seriously don't think about culling and how it might even be carried out.

ask yourself what you would do with 680,000 dog carcasses in Bangkok?

680,000 dogs. 

There are no examples of successfully culling dogs. If you need information, it is generally available on line to all who care to look it up.

There is a solution; it is "CNVR" - Spay and neuter vaccinate and RETURN is the only proven, sustainable hygienic (and incidentally humane) method of reducing the stray animal population.

This system has been shown to work all over the world. It has also been implement successfully in Phuket and is a long term project in Bangkok - where they are aiming to CNVR 680,000 dogs. To get information on this and other projects, you can contact the Soi Dog Foundation who are the key organisation in Thailand working on this problem. They have also recently  been working on the Samui archipelago.

However if the system isn't implemented correctly or is damaged by interference of others then it either slows or doesn't work.

As I said earlier, I haven't got figures for Pattaya, but personal anecdotal evidence cannot definitively confirm the scheme is or isn't working.

It is worth noting however that problems like this aren't solved overnight - they take several years. I also don't know what effect Covid and Covid restrictions may have had on the carrying out of these measures.

Culling dogs is a very difficult campaign to undertake – you can’t poison them due to killing other animals or even humans.

Culling present huge impracticalities which inevitably lead to its failure. For instance, you have to kill ALL dogs in a period less than their reproductive cycle – culling  creates a vacancy in that habitat and it is refilled in days by neighbouring animals who then quickly breed and replace the gaps. On a mainland site there are no limits to where dogs will move in from adjacent areas to replace the population just culled as the food supply is still in place.

Culling also helps to spread rabies as animals increase the range they roam into the areas left vacant bring with them all their own diseases – if they fight or mate with any remaining dogs rabies is spread even more quickly.

Pattaya recently had a rabies scare – a dog bit 6 people who tried to interfere with it. Killing dogs around it just brings more dogs into a rabies infected are.

You also have to find a dispose of all the animals you’ve killed. (where do dogs go to die??)

Roaming dogs are a public health problem, this is exacerbated by culling.

With CNVR, the population is not left with caps and it decreases naturally over a period of a few years.

The size of a dog population is dictated by the food supply – when food runs low bitches cease to breed – so a key to dealing with the problem is the authority’s policies for dealing with, collecting and storing rubbish and people ‘s habit of feeding stray dogs.

Reduce the food supply and the population decreases correspondingly.