The carnage continues on the Thai roads: 75 deaths on Monday including Swiss tourist in Phuket

webfact

2 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

Do we have any policeman who read these forums ? Or can reply as to why this is happening?  So why why Why 

I have replied.....the RTP are useless no matter how much training we have given them from overseas.

14 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

How could they? They never learned. 

My wife never learned driving by an instructor, but is proud to have a license.....????

My wife had a very good instructor in Chiang Mai. He told her the most important rules, and to watch around every time she maneuvered....He was really good. She had her driving license easy ! (That's no Guarantee I Know)

A couple of years later she did her driving lessons again in Europe and that was a lot of studying,...She studied a couple of months, did her exam and got it the first time. And I swear the exams were very hard and strict. They tried to trick her into making mistakes, but she did it excellently. She is now a excellent and safe driver. I let her drive as much as possible to get as much experience as possible, she drove in Germany, Switzerland, France The Nederlands and Belgium,...without a problem.

2 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

The Swiss “tourist” actually lives in Thailand and is well known locally as a keen cyclist. The taxi (according to the yellow taxi identification sticker on the side) apparently went too fast over the crest of a hill, lost control as a result of water on the road coming from a washing machine station by the roadside, crossed onto the wrong side of the road and simply smashed into the oncoming motorbike.

He never stood a chance and the motorbike was barely recognizable as such. Not helping the motor cyclists cause were the 3ft concrete posts newly installed by the government along the roadside only days before, but the car impact just crushed the motorbike anyway. The car ended up on its side on the grass verge on the opposite side of the road.

unfortunately I was at the spot a few minutes after the impact.

R.I.P. Mr Francioli

• Like 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Add in that their are no lights at the truly dedicated u-turn locations either.

there are lights at some but not all.  We've just had the highway here expanded from single lane each way to dual lane each way with median strips all along the new road construction. Every U Turn has street lights BUT only about 1/2 of them ever work.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, off road pat said:

My wife had a very good instructor in Chiang Mai. He told her the most important rules, and to watch around every time she maneuvered....He was really good. She had her driving license easy ! (That's no Guarantee I Know)

A couple of years later she did her driving lessons again in Europe and that was a lot of studying,...She studied a couple of months, did her exam and got it the first time. And I swear the exams were very hard and strict. They tried to trick her into making mistakes, but she did it excellently. She is now a excellent and safe driver. I let her drive as much as possible to get as much experience as possible, she drove in Germany, Switzerland, France The Nederlands and Belgium,...without a problem.

Yep, she did in EU and drove our Motorhome more than 20.000 km already. 

But as I said, many license holder never met any instructor so far and make their own rules.

Thais in general are not rule or law followers.????

1 hour ago, seedy said:
2 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

Poor road infrastructure

Hogwash - the roads here are fine

The engineering design reflecting the safety aspect is truly appalling/absent. U turns in dangerously ill considered places and rumble strips ON the bend and even AFTER  are the more obvious examples of the cluelessness along with totally insufficient distances for  warnings of roadworks etc. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

How about initiating some real driving schools where people drive with instructors who actually teach driving skills,  and then assess the abilities of drivers before allowing them to progress to a driving examination.

Rather than just buy a licence.

Who will do the instructing?

I can't see 'driving instructor' being on a work permit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

You dont have to be a Policeman to see why this is happening.  The reasons are:-

Poor road infrastructure

Poor driver training and testing.

Poor prosecution policies.

No real traffic policing

Thai mindset when driving and no danger awareness.

That's just for starters.

Can the Police actually read.g

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Life on the roads is a crapshoot.  Yesterday returning from Suvarnabhumi Airport, I watched as cars drove on the shoulders where they are not supposed to, and right by the RTP cops sitting at the gore points.  Then after stopping for the Red light as I prepared to exit at Rama 4 Rd, I watched as over 100 motorbikes queued in the roadway in front of the red light they were supposed to be behind, again right in front of the RTP traffic box.  As my light turned green to go right and as we all, the many cars behind me, proceeded to turn right, the motorbikes all took off going straight from our left and into an around all of the turning vehicles, who had the right of way.  Just to my left I watched as one of the motorbikes hit the side of a Mercedes and as he went down was hit by more bikes and the pile up began.  What a cluster.  If the flicking police would do their jobs we would not have such kaos, and if the drivers and riders would obey the traffic laws we would not have the needles accidents and deaths.

You no understand Thailand.

Police are not paid to work.

You must pay Police not to do bad things ok?

Stupid Farang...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

Do we have any policeman who read these forums ? Or can reply as to why this is happening?  So why why Why 

This image, more or less illustrates their attitude.

If I use the most appropriate choice of words, my post will surely be deleted.

images - 2021-10-22T001729.856.jpeg

26 minutes ago, oznomad said:

Who will do the instructing?

I can't see 'driving instructor' being on a work permit.

Once upon a time I had the bright idea to try and open up a driving school based upon US standards here.  I started the process only to be told I could own the school but could not teach as I was not Thai.  No matter how many times and people I contacted was told Can Not only Thai can teach.

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Life on the roads is a crapshoot.  Yesterday returning from Suvarnabhumi Airport, I watched as cars drove on the shoulders where they are not supposed to, and right by the RTP cops sitting at the gore points.  Then after stopping for the Red light as I prepared to exit at Rama 4 Rd, I watched as over 100 motorbikes queued in the roadway in front of the red light they were supposed to be behind, again right in front of the RTP traffic box.  As my light turned green to go right and as we all, the many cars behind me, proceeded to turn right, the motorbikes all took off going straight from our left and into an around all of the turning vehicles, who had the right of way.  Just to my left I watched as one of the motorbikes hit the side of a Mercedes and as he went down was hit by more bikes and the pile up began.  What a cluster.  If the flicking police would do their jobs we would not have such kaos, and if the drivers and riders would obey the traffic laws we would not have the needles accidents and deaths.

Yet I can relax in the knowledge  that whilst driving in my 4-wheeled vehicle I'm less likely to die than in the USA.

Seems a lot of posters in this topic have a hard time adapting.

Set in their Ways so much that they are up in arms if things are not just the way they were back in (insert country name here)

I do not have a problem - not more so than in any other country, as the road users there are just as dumb as the ones here.

Learn the local characteristics and drive by them.

Or come on public internet forums and P and M, whine and snivel "Oh Woe is Me" 555

But - as Darwin said - survival of the fittest.

• Confused 1

Sorry, but I don't get the importance behind all this road casualties.

Sure, every year there are a lot of deaths on the Thai roads.
But (mostly) a few days after their death, their corpse are burned and forgotten.

But nobody seems to care about the 1 million+ of people who are left handicapped for life and/or will need health care for life.

Nobody seems to care about the disaster this handicapped people brings to the Thai families and the Thai economy.

Most of these victims are not reimbursed by the insurance of the other party (assuming that they had an insurance) or the insurance are waiting for months with the compensation and leaving the hospitals and the families of the victim with the care of these victims.

How many people more need to be involved in this game before the as....s in the government will wake up and start to do their job? 

• Like 2

On 11/4/2021 at 1:58 PM, crazykopite said:

Can someone post me a picture of a paper glass as I have never come across one 

On 11/14/2021 at 9:51 AM, VocalNeal said:

Ah The Gun Club. Memories...

On 11/25/2021 at 1:28 PM, yogi yogi said:

what are rules in phuket i see alot of old timers drinking at outdoor bars after 9pm.  should i report them ?  

On 11/27/2021 at 7:59 AM, Mentors65 said:

Unfortunately this will not happen. 

New c-19 variant on the way

The police don't know, nor do the instructors or the license department. If you fail your test 3 times they will give you a pass for trying!

4 hours ago, bluemoon58 said:

What a load of cr*p! Proper driver training and making the police actually do their jobs of enforcing the law, instead of dreaming about where the next backhander is coming from, that would help save lives. 

Never going to happen, bad karma to upset people with traffic violations.

• Like 1