Northern Thailand, the Asian cycling hotspot that is quickly becoming a destination for the world’s best riders

webfact

screenshot_16070.jpg

Japanese professional cyclist Yukiya Arashiro, training in Thailand. Photo: Steve Thomas

● Chiang Mai has rapidly become one of the world’s prime cycling destinations

● But with the Chiang Rai just up the road, it’s not the only place in the area with great riding on tap

Steve Thomas

Chiang Mai in northern Thailand has rapidly become one of the world’s prime cycling destinations, although it’s not the only place in the area with great riding on tap.

When it comes to road cycling and racing Europe has always been the epicentre of the sport, but in recent years it has evolved into a global phenomenon with Asia well and truly part of that.

It was about 15 years ago that Chiang Mai started to ping on the radar for international cyclists. Its mild and dry winter climate and profusion of both flat and mountain roads, combined with relative ease of access and low costs, soon drew the attention of riders worldwide.

Full story: https://www.scmp.com/sport/outdoor/health-fitness/article/3159323/northern-thailand-asian-cycling-hotspot-quickly

logo.jpg

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It used to be very popular 2-3 years back, but now everyone is gone and the cycling clubs are all defunct.

Gotta laugh about all the news sources running stories outdated by COVID for two years.

I remember back then there would 200+ people cycling up to Wat Doi Suthep on a Sat/Sun.

Now it's down to around 10 ...............

I don't agree with you about the cycling clubs being defunct. In the district where I am in NE CM there are at least 6 or 7 cycling clubs that I'm aware of. Only last weekend 3 of the clubs rode 110kms together.

• Like 1

The article talks about professionals and organized clubs, good for them.

The day to day cycling for individuals in CM however is another story. There's a little stretch of bycicle path, about 6km, running from the Intl conference center to Don Kaew. Cycling there during daytime hours is dangerous. No car will stop when crossing the path, even if cyclists have right of way. Or they just park on the path. Also, it seems quite all right to drive scooters and motorbikes on the bycicle path, often leaving a stinking trail of smoke for the cyclist's pleasure. And come late afternoon, the bycicle path is full of joggers even if they have their own reserved path.
Let's not even mention cycling on the main roads. Remember the young lady driver who decided to play bowling with a group of cyclists some years ago. I have been rear-ended by a car myself on the Mae Rim road, luckily at slow speed but bycicle annihilated.

The local rules of the road apply: van, car, dog, motorcycle, bycicle, pedestrian, in this order.

I know that Chiang Mai (pre-Covid-19) was a vey popular area for mtn biking and had a lot of mtn biking races there.  They also put on some downhill events for people that are into that.  As for raod cycling, yes, cycling up Doi Suthep seems to be very popular.  I would suggest not cycling up Doi Suthep on a Saturday or Sunday as it gets quite busy then.  

I bet that Chiang Rai would be much more interesting for both road and mtn biking.

8 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I would suggest not cycling up Doi Suthep on a Saturday or Sunday as it gets quite busy then.  

Not since COVID.

If you cycle up now, it'll probably be just you.

I actually enjoyed the camaraderie and competition when there were 100s of us.

Edited by BritManToo

On 12/14/2021 at 1:29 PM, Hanuman2547 said:

I know that Chiang Mai (pre-Covid-19) was a vey popular area for mtn biking and had a lot of mtn biking races there.  They also put on some downhill events for people that are into that.  As for raod cycling, yes, cycling up Doi Suthep seems to be very popular.  I would suggest not cycling up Doi Suthep on a Saturday or Sunday as it gets quite busy then.  

I bet that Chiang Rai would be much more interesting for both road and mtn biking.

3 years ago, as part of a hiking package up Doi Suthep, I opted for the downhill bike option from Doi Suthep to the city. Was quite exciting, most fun I've had on a bike in a long time.

• Like 1