Have you ever met?

Meat Pie 47

As far as I remember I met 3 TV members in real life.

But I guess in reality I met many more but I don't know their user names here.

And if someone in real life would ask me about my user name in this and some other forums I would think twice if I would tell them. Sometimes it's nice to be (relative) anonymous. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

As far as I remember I met 3 TV members in real life.

But I guess in reality I met many more but I don't know their user names here.

And if someone in real life would ask me about my user name in this and some other forums I would think twice if I would tell them. Sometimes it's nice to be (relative) anonymous. 

I never met a member of Thai visa but I met 3 members on Facebook but covid put a stop to it

Discounting other mods (who you tend to meet at mod meetings) and those members I met at one of the infamous ThaiVisa parties in the early noughties, I've knowingly met maybe a dozen other TV members in "real life".

Around half that number I class as friends (as it happens I'm meeting 2-3 of them for a beer tonight) and three of the rest are dead (NOT as a result of meeting me I hasten to add).

Of my FaceBore "friends" I have met all of them at some point in my life (some waaaay back when there were dinosaurs) but I don't add those I don't actually know.

Do most posters on AN live here?

I think the op does not live in Thailand so it is not easy to meet posters on here.

Yes i have met a few posters in real life and have has conversations by way of pm with a bunch more.

On Facebook because of my hobby i have a lot of "friends" from all over the world and have met

a few also.This month one of those friends is coming to see me here in Thailand from Europe.

Have met some, some I wish I hadnt, some have become longtime friends, some have become "online friends" for years but due to distance have never actually met in real life.

Generally I dont talk about online activity or personas used, never met anyone that did.

In FB the only friends we have are people we actually know through living - not online....

I get friend requests from people that do not seem to have any link with my life, or be friends of friends/have any common connections but don't accept them.....

Some of my friends happen to also have been/are on ASEAN/TV...

I probably have met some TV people & have never known it..... It's not a topic I'd start, or ask about, out of the thin air....

I met loads of TV members between 2003 and 2005. Those were really crazy days, drinking till dawn. Many of them moved on, some of them are probably dead. A few are still in Thailand, me being one of them.

Most of them were jerks, drunks, sociopaths, or ex-SAS Walter Mittys.

Most people don't like me, but that's fine, I don't like most people.

I'm still in regular touch with one. He still posts here. He knows who I am in the real world and vice versa.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

2 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Does anyone admit in real life to being a Thai Visa Forum member?

Well, back in those days I was part of the Surin expat community. This was long before Martin at the Farang Connection died. His wife used to ferry me and my girl of those days out to the village. TV was much smaller and most members seemed to know eachother in some capacity.

Back then I was much more naive, coming from Hong Kong I just assumed the expat community in Thailand would be of a similar quality...

Oh boy was I wrong. I keep myself WELL away from other farangs these days. Riff raff.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I keep myself WELL away from other farangs these days. Riff raff.

Before the pandemic struck I had long since given up on even trying to engage other farangs in conversation as they were almost always dysfunctional with poor social skills or other issues. Once the lockdown hit and many fled the country, it seems to have left a better type of foreigner i.e. only those truly committed to Thailand and those with knowledge of how things work. From March 2020 to April 2021 I met many decent foreign gents of which some became good friends. Now it seems that things are reverting backwards as it becomes easier for short term visitors to enter the country.

I've met about a dozen or so members in real life, but that was the old old TV, so they're dead or no longer posting.

Generally I don't have a problem meeting up in real life, but it's not something I do without careful thought. The world isn't short of nutters, and they do tend to be over represented in online forums. 

Edited by Stocky