Has anyone re-entered Thailand after expiration of a 'dodgy' volunteer visa?

hello,

just wanted to ask if anyone has an update from the last few months regarding the situation with volunteer visas? if you leave Thailand and return after the volunteer visa has expired - will you be detained in the airport for questioning? or will you be allowed in with a 'visa on arrival'?  would it be better to apply for a proper Thai tourist visa before entering Thailand at a Thai Embassy of my country?

Thank you!

Edited by webber4
correction

On 12/16/2021 at 8:18 AM, ubonjoe said:

I have not heard of anybody being denied entry that had a dodgy non-o visa extension issued.

I think is only a rumor and speculation. Arrival immigration would not know how you got your non-o visa or extension. For there to a problem on entry you have backlisted and they would not happen for that reason.

Newbie here but not new to the review boards. I was in Pattaya and talked to a guy who had come in on a tourist visa and then changed it to a volunteer visa while in the country. He went home and when he tried to return they saw the two visas and denied him entry. He was forced to fly out of the country the same day, said he was held in detention. He said he went back home and got a new passport. He also mentioned he had a friend who's uncle was one of the head immigration hotshots and on his return he was whisked through the VIP lines. 

10 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Why didn't he play this card when he was imprisoned and deported?

A good question!

A brief word on what happens when you are denied entry. You are not deported, a process which is totally different from being an inadmissible person (INAD). When you are denied entry, you are handed back to the airline that brought you to Thailand which is then responsible for promptly transporting you out of Thailand in whatever manner they think fit.

You may consider this a distinction without a difference, but there are many important differences. When you are locked up for an offence after entering Thailand, and will therefore be deported, paying for and arranging the deportation can sometimes be really problematic, especially if your country does not have consular representation in Thailand. If you are an INAD, you will be promptly removed from Thailand. Payment is then between you and the airline.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

A good question!

A brief word on what happens when you are denied entry. You are not deported, a process which is totally different from being an inadmissible person (INAD). When you are denied entry, you are handed back to the airline that brought you to Thailand which is then responsible for promptly transporting you out of Thailand in whatever manner they think fit.

You may consider this a distinction without a difference, but there are many important differences. When you are locked up for an offence after entering Thailand, and will therefore be deported, paying for and arranging the deportation can sometimes be really problematic, especially if your country does not have consular representation in Thailand. If you are an INAD, you will be promptly removed from Thailand. Payment is then between you and the airline.

What happens if, after you are denied entry, you refuse to pay for the ticket back to where you just came from?

3 hours ago, thaiasia said:

What happens if, after you are denied entry, you refuse to pay for the ticket back to where you just came from?

As I wrote, the airline is obliged to take you out of Thailand. They cannot escape that responsibility under any circumstances. The airline will try to get payment, but may not always succeed.

21 hours ago, webber4 said:

hello,

just wanted to ask if anyone has an update from the last few months regarding the situation with volunteer visas? if you leave Thailand and return after the volunteer visa has expired - will you be detained in the airport for questioning? or will you be allowed in with a 'visa on arrival'?  would it be better to apply for a proper Thai tourist visa before entering Thailand at a Thai Embassy of my country?

Thank you!

Hi, as you can see in this (and other) threads, some guys with ex-V visa were denied on entry (on visa exempt, didn't had TR I think), and then they returned with a new passport with no issues... If you intend to come back with old V visa in your passport, you should definitely make proper Tourist Visa, and also very important to check with your visa agent if they can assist if border i/o try to deny your entry (some agents offer this 'special service', on certain airports, with certain officers ???? ).