Solar System Specs for my needs? 12 sqm roof

I have a building on-grid that needs to run approximately up to 5000 watts at most.

The roof is slanted to the west and only bout 12 sqm.
I have an electrician on staff but do not know which equipment to procure.
1. I heard that investing in a battery is what adds too much cost to solar systems. Is that true? What battery might be recommended or not?
2. It might be preferable to just have the panels -- what kind is recommended?
3. And whatever else is needed/recommended?

Thanks in advance!

In my post above, I mentioned that the solar panels can lose as much as 25% of their efficiency due to a combination of the angle at which the sunlight hits the individual cells which make up the solar panel and the heat generated by the panels and radiated heat from the sun.

My 4 x 415 half-cut monocrystalline panels should in theory be capable of producing 1.66kW, but because the sun is currently low on the horizon during the winter season, the system is only producing 1.24kW max at midday as shown in the graph below.

Untitled.jpg.dc63f7c3e7812153e719319f6c67439f.jpg

It will be seen from the above graph that the system wakes-up at about 06:30am with very low power being produced because the sun is just breaking over the horizon.  The power gradually increases, almost exponentially, as the sun climbs to its maximum at midday.  The output power then slowly reduces, again almost exponentially, until the sun disappears below the horizon at approximately 6:00pm.

FYI… On the 8/12/21 it was a good sunny day and the system produced a total of 8.31kW slightly higher than expected.

Based upon the above graph, I may well find myself having to 'throttle' the system back during the summer season so as not to run into negative meter readings.

Edited by 007 RED
FYI added
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

Based upon the above graph, I may well find myself having to 'throttle' the system back during the summer season so as not to run into negative meter readings.

Sorry to but in, but may I ask?

You are reducing your electric bill by spinning the meter backwards, but what are you going to do when they come UN-announced and they see your Meter spinning backwards (happened to @Thaifish) and give you a NON-Spinning backwards meter. Will you then still see a 75%  reduction of your electric bill??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Thaifish said:

I have noticed that even though the Sun is low on the horizon I am averaging more production now per day than when the Sun was overhead.

Me too, but that's because when the sun's overhead it's also monsoon and there's lots of clouds and rain. I've got my panels lying flat.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

With the cost of power here and at my age solar power is a waste of money, look at enitial cost against what you spend on power every month and for me about 10-15 years before start to re-coup money, I'll be dead by then. Lets not forget breakdowns and replacement parts. I had solar in Oz where it was worth the outlay against power costs per month. Here in Thailand not worth it.

On 12/18/2021 at 8:20 AM, 007 RED said:

Some countries / power companies are happy to accept negative meter readings. Are there any possibilities in Thailand?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

3-4 years to make the money back in Thailand (assuming nothing breaks).

Unless you pay for someone to install it at 3x the materials cost.

I'm already two years in, saving 500bht/month.

Not every body has the skill set for self installation, so as I said the cost out weighs a return for 10-15 years depending on the system you install.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RocketDog said:

(Snip).....

But please understand that power and energy are two different things.

A panel that produces 1kW for one hour has produced one kilowatt hour. A pump consuming 1kw for an hour will consume one KWh.

It seems that you understand this from your comments, but it's vital to use proper units when discussing engineering especially for neophytes.

(Snip).....

Many thanks for pointing out my mistake.  They say your never to old to learn, and today I learnt the difference between kW and KWh (apart from the upper/lower case difference).  Unfortunately it's to late now to go back and edit my original post, so I hope that other members who read it will understand what I was trying to convey.

As my school teacher used to write in my school reports, "must try harder next time" ????

Good luck with your well pump project.

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's comments. Apparently I cannot do this on my small roof and would need to install the panels on the ground instead.

So basically I would need the: panels, the inverter, switch, brackets to hold it together, breakers and the isolation box?

I calculated that the panels would run about 70,000 THB (5800 watts) (12x panels at 535 watts each -- spread over 24 sqm)

Other components?

Assuming decent south facing light, what might I be looking at for ROI period?

• Like 1

It seems like this is the system I need (along with supports to hold them above the ground)?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/solar-loff-ongrid-hybird-huawei-528kw-3-phase-i2541775272-s9040130519.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:12654756915!117524295342!!!pla-294682000766!c!294682000766!9040130519!505884294&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5aWOBhDMARIsAIXLlkdl0KIVrM66DHeu-2aqCYKEBvk6hHlMedcp1KQTvoWdz17ki-rnpgcaAnrdEALw_wcB

However the return on investment might be like how long (for materials)? Considering I (live in Phuket and) can use south facing.

3 minutes ago, JakeR said:

It seems like this is the system I need (along with supports to hold them above the ground)?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/solar-loff-ongrid-hybird-huawei-528kw-3-phase-i2541775272-s9040130519.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:12654756915!117524295342!!!pla-294682000766!c!294682000766!9040130519!505884294&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5aWOBhDMARIsAIXLlkdl0KIVrM66DHeu-2aqCYKEBvk6hHlMedcp1KQTvoWdz17ki-rnpgcaAnrdEALw_wcB

However the return on investment might be like how long (for materials)? Considering I (live in Phuket and) can use south facing.

The 12 panels are worth 4k5 each = 54kbht

The inverter 75kbht, but there's a wide choice available for under 30kbht, do you really need '3 phase'

So 130k for the equipment, 60k for a few bits and pieces seems a little excessive.

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The 12 panels are worth 4k5 each = 54kbht

The inverter 75kbht, but there's a wide choice available for under 30kbht, do you really need '3 phase'

So 130k for the equipment, 60k for a few bits and pieces seems a little excessive.

Tell you what, pay me the 190kbht and I'll supply and fit a similar 12 panel system for you.

12 x 440w split panels, a 5k inverter (single phase), and I'll throw in a backup generator.

PS.

I'll be making 100kbht out of the 190kbht for my work.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

In summary we are looking at about 90k for materials (+ any installation costs if labor is hired).

And a short return on investment then?:
Lets say it supplies just 1/3 of my 6000 THB bill. So it'd be paid off in 4-5 years.
Is this realistic and sounds about right?

Edited by JakeR

7 hours ago, JakeR said:

In summary we are looking at about 90k for materials (+ any installation costs if labor is hired).

And a short return on investment then?:
Lets say it supplies just 1/3 of my 6000 THB bill. So it'd be paid off in 4-5 years.
Is this realistic and sounds about right?

I reckon you're in the right ball park (assuming on-grid with no batteries). For this to work you need to have a conventional disk-type meter which will run backwards on export (some don't), if you post a photo of your meter (redact the meter ID) we can hazard an educated guess whether it will or not. 

• Like 1