Omicron five times more likely to reinfect than Delta, no milder, study says

gargamon

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/omicron-five-times-more-likely-to-reinfect-than-delta-no-milder-study-says-1.5711645

The risk of reinfection with the Omicron coronavirus variant is more than five times higher and it has shown no sign of being milder than Delta, a study showed, as cases soar across Europe and threaten year-end festivities.

The results of the study by Imperial College London were based on U.K. Health Security Agency and National Health Service data on people who tested positive for COVID-19 in a PCR test in England between Nov. 29 and Dec. 11.

"We find no evidence (for both risk of hospitalization attendance and symptom status) of Omicron having different severity from Delta," the study said, although it added that data on hospitalizations remains very limited..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Gargamon - thanks for that - but we must take into account the relevant qualifications e.g. "the study said, although it added that data on hospitalizations remains very limited".

And "Dr Clive Dix, former Chair of the U.K. Vaccine Taskforce, said it was important not to overinterpret the data. "The conclusions made are based on making assumptions about Omicron where we still don't have sufficient data," Dr Dix said. "For example, we have no data on the cellular immune response which is now probably driving effectiveness of vaccines. This is a crucial missing assumption in the modelling. Some of the conclusions are different to the data emerging from South Africa, where vaccines are holding up well against severe disease and death at present", he said."

Omicron has an 'R' rate of between 3-5 compared to the R1 we were watching last year. It's very worrying and hard to see how Thailand will avoid stringent measures when transmission of Omicron becomes apparent.

However, clear messages from RSA from the start, have indicated that the rates of hospitalisation and severe illness are lower with Omicron. Let's hope that's right . . . .

Edited by TorquayFan
spacing
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

How the study can conclude that Omnicron isn’t mild, but then state they have insufficient hospitalization data, is a mystery to me.

We know Omicron is very infectious.

We don’t know how severe it is in the Real World.

And few recorded deaths from it.  Just read a news-blip, none in USA as of yet.

• Like 1

Ohio became the latest state to summon the National Guard to help overwhelmed medical facilities. Experts in Nebraska warned that its hospitals soon may need to ration care.

Perhaps they should look at vaccine status when determining who gets the care and who misses out? We always knew it was going to come to this.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-hospitals-struggle-as-covid-beds-fill-5e98f09c578a231be1411516e9dfff58

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/18/2021 at 8:29 AM, Danderman123 said:

If you don’t fear a virus that has killed 5 million+, then I guess you can rationalize anything. Until it affects you personally.

That is not a lot of people compared to other things like heart disease...yet we are not all going around scared to death of fried chicken. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Driving around Pattaya for the first time in years, I can understand the fear.

I’m just not sure what’s gonna get people first.  Old age, heart disease, cirrhosis, diabetes, obesity or Covid (due to the aforementioned comorbidities)

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 4:03 AM, ozimoron said:

Seven people believed to have had the Omicron variant had died as of Thursday, up from one death in the UKHSA's previous data which ran up to Tuesday.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/london-declares-major-incident-help-covid-hit-hospitals-2021-12-18/

Just saw on sky news that UK will not make more restrictions before Christmas since there are not enough evidence if omicron is more severe.

So fingers crossed that it will stay less deadly, compared to delta 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Virt said:

Just saw on sky news that UK will not make more restrictions before Christmas since there are not enough evidence if omicron is more severe.

So fingers crossed that it will stay less deadly, compared to delta 

It should be remembered that the spike in cases in the UK is mostly Delta, so there should be a big spike in hospitalizations and deaths in the next weeks.

i am hopeful that Omicron will eradicate Delta in the UK and Thailand. It is beginning to look like the end of the epidemic is coming.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

Danderman I'm interested in how a new variant moves to dominance. Does a new virus actually 'eradicate'  the existing virus or does it simply get to the victims first because it's more transmissible? Thanks.

The latter. So over time there are less and less opportunities for other strains to infect a host.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KC 71 said:

How does the PCR test differentiate which particular variant or strain someone might have ?

Serious question though , i have always wondered.

Here in DK they developed a variant specific PCR test, that can detect omicron, so it's not necessary to do full genome sequencing, but they still sequence a lot to keep track of new mutations.

In this article there is a bit described about the test as far i can understand.

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2021.26.50.2101146?crawler=true

An RT-PCR detecting the Omicron variant using the 452L marker (estimated specificity: 99.99% based on retrospective analysis) [5] was developed and implemented in the TCDK by 1 December.

Edited by Virt
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, KC 71 said:

How does the PCR test differentiate which particular variant or strain someone might have ?

Fact check: Genomic sequencing, not PCR testing, detects COVID-19 variants

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/07/31/fact-check-covid-19-pcr-tests-dont-detect-virus-variants/5407334001/

9 hours ago, KC 71 said:

PCR is designed to detect all current SARS-2 strains without differentiation. In special cases, PCR can differentiate between variants, in particular Omicron versus other currently circulating strains.

How? PCR tests for 3 small code segments in the virus. If PCR detects all 3 then you detected covid. Omicron is so badly mutated that one of the 3 test fails, notably the spike or S-protein test. Currently, if PCR detects 2 code segments, and fails to detect the S-protein, you know you have Omicron.

This is a special case but is very useful considering how incredibly fast Omicron spreads. I believe their is now a new Omicron variant that is not detectable this way, but there are very few cases. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Oh right, so are people currently being tested via Genomic Sequencing ,and not With a PCR ? 

I find it all a bit confusing be honest ????

4 minutes ago, KC 71 said:

Oh right, so are people currently being tested via Genomic Sequencing ,and not With a PCR ? 

I find it all a bit confusing be honest ????

Did you actually read the article that the link led to?

"PCR tests can only tell if someone is positive or negative for the coronavirus. Positive samples, however, typically go through a more sophisticated analysis called genomic sequencing, which can discern whether a sample contains a new or a known COVID-19 variant."

15 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

Danderman I'm interested in how a new variant moves to dominance. Does a new virus actually 'eradicate'  the existing virus or does it simply get to the victims first because it's more transmissible? Thanks.

Discusses the process, but I think the direct answer is "It infects more people", 

It doesn't actually directly eradicate the other variants.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-do-variants-such-as-delta-become-dominant1/#

"Why Do Variants Such as Delta Become Dominant?

Mutations that make a virus more transmissible are only part of the equation"