what is meant by "eligible foreign expatriate" and how would I find out if I fit

monty1412

Lived in TH last 10 years as a BOI work permitted expat.. left TH on Nov 5th for business trip to Kenya and now trying to get back via Blue Zione sandbox.. haven't been to any other country than Kenya which is not designated high risk 

The following  is on the TAT website under Blue Zone sandbox category  which was updated Dec 16th

So how does one ascertain what exactly is an "eligible foreign expatriate " ?

Anyone face same issue ??

any help appreciated .. I am double vaxxed ( AZ) with Thai Vax passport 

Rgds 

• Eligible countries
    • All countries/territories except African countries.
      • Currently, travellers from 8 African countries – Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, and Zimbabwe, which are listed as high-risk countries are not allowed to enter Thailand.
      • The rest of the African countries are listed as low-risk countries. Travellers from these countries or those who have stay in these countries in the last 21 days will not be eligible to enter Thailand under the Sandbox Programme.
    • Returning Thais and eligible foreign expatriates, who previously travelled from Thailand, are exempt from this requirement, except for those from the 8 high-risk African countries.

Looks to me that being "double vaxxed ( AZ) with Thai Vax passport" already, you are eligible and just need to do the two tests during the 7-day 'confinement' bit of the sandboxing.

What will happen within the 7-day stay in the Blue Zone Sandbox Program?

• Day 0-1: First Test through RT-PCR test
  • Day 6-7: Second Test through Antigen Test Kit (ATK) or self-testing ATK.

After your 7 -day stay in a SHA+ hotel, you can then travel to other Thailand destinations freely. And if staying under 7 days, travelers will have to leave Thailand immediately after their planned stay.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/travel-to-thailand/the-blue-zone-sandbox-program

Not sure if the "Lived in TH last 10 years as a BOI work permitted expat" has any relevance unless it no longer applies. What nationality and/or visa will you be planning using to re-enter if the BOI enabled WP and the immigration status that came with it are no longer relevant?

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Looks to me that being "double vaxxed ( AZ) with Thai Vax passport" already, you are eligible and just need to do the two tests during the 7-day 'confinement' bit of the sandboxing.

After your 7 -day stay in a SHA+ hotel, you can then travel to other Thailand destinations freely. And if staying under 7 days, travelers will have to leave Thailand immediately after their planned stay.

Not sure if the "Lived in TH last 10 years as a BOI work permitted expat" has any relevance unless it no longer applies. What nationality and/or visa will you be planning using to re-enter if the BOI enabled WP and the immigration status that came with it are no longer relevant?

Australian national and NON IMM visa. If i dont fit under ' eligible foreign expat' then I cant do sandbox rather 14 days quarantine as I have come from Africa ( low risk country Kenya). That was the whole point of my question what is definition or criteria of  " eligible foreign expatriate' .. thanks anyway

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

also be careful sending thai embassy links as they are not always up to date.. see the latest update Dec 16th on tatnews.org   .... that explains why you came to a certain conclusion which in reality is not correct.. no big deal but thaiembassy website is a starting point and then you have  drill down into all updates... thanks anyway  buddy, appreciate you trying to help

Edited by monty1412

You would not be able to apply a Thailand pass for a sandbox if returning from Kenya since it does not appear on the drop down list for "Departure from country / area" when registering for it.

Go to this page and select sandbox to confirm what I wrote. https://tp.consular.go.th/en/plan

Kenya is only on the list for alternative quarantine.

Edit: Checked the same info for a Thai on the lists. Only a AQ is allowed for traveling from Kenya.

Edited by ubonjoe

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You would not be able to apply a Thailand pass for a sandbox if returning from Kenya since it does not appear on the drop down list for "Departure from country / area" when registering for it.

Go to this page and select sandbox to confirm what I wrote. https://tp.consular.go.th/en/plan

Kenya is only on the list for alternative quarantine.

Edit: Checked the same info for a Thai on the lists. Only a AQ is allowed for traveling from Kenya.

many thanks.. cheers

Yeah, you're up the creek without a poodle.

Thai powers that be consider the entire continent of Africa as one country by the looks of it which is total BS.

I'm in the same position, i left Thailand when the requirements for re-entry would have been Sanbox, just recently booked my hotels for compulsory 14 day prison stay!

Hopefully this does not last line but based on Thais being very racists and African countries not being massive tourists to Thailand who knows.

However people coming from UK ( where the case numbers are crazy ) can arrive to Thailand under 'test and go' - total madness!

3 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Yeah, you're up the creek without a poodle.

Thai powers that be consider the entire continent of Africa as one country by the looks of it which is total BS.

I'm in the same position, i left Thailand when the requirements for re-entry would have been Sanbox, just recently booked my hotels for compulsory 14 day prison stay!

Hopefully this does not last line but based on Thais being very racists and African countries not being massive tourists to Thailand who knows.

However people coming from UK ( where the case numbers are crazy ) can arrive to Thailand under 'test and go' - total madness!

yeah good point re the tourism potential coming from Africa  is nothing huge unless you count the hordes of Kenyan and Ugandan girls that use to line the lower end of Soi 4 at night. I think I will just transit via BKK  to Phnom Penh and do 21 days free to do whats I want  there which turns me back ti green status .and then can come back in under test'n'go.. and the bars are open in PP.......

1 hour ago, monty1412 said:

yeah good point re the tourism potential coming from Africa  is nothing huge unless you count the hordes of Kenyan and Ugandan girls that use to line the lower end of Soi 4 at night. I think I will just transit via BKK  to Phnom Penh and do 21 days free to do whats I want  there which turns me back ti green status .and then can come back in under test'n'go.. and the bars are open in PP.......

What cocerns me about this option is the rules changing again whilst waiting for the 21 days to elapse in PP.

10 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

What cocerns me about this option is the rules changing again whilst waiting for the 21 days to elapse in PP.

yeah I know, Im thinking about that as well on a number of fronts.. Kenya at present has minuscule new infection rates  less than 80 people per day .. Cambodia claims it is >80% vaccinated but most of that is Sinopharm and started seeing reports / discussions that Sinopharm is not effective towards Omicron..... thinking along worst case scenario.... Omicron goes ballistic everywhere ,TH  pulls shutters down again .......where would I rather be  living  for maybe a few months and medical health care standards...... 14 days strict quarantine in TH doesnt look that bad if you add all the ifs buts and maybe's together...... will wait until 23rd Dec and see if TH modifies any of its conditions .....if they said OK 7 days Q from low risk African nations i would be there like a flash

1 hour ago, monty1412 said:

yeah I know, Im thinking about that as well on a number of fronts.. Kenya at present has minuscule new infection rates  less than 80 people per day .. Cambodia claims it is >80% vaccinated but most of that is Sinopharm and started seeing reports / discussions that Sinopharm is not effective towards Omicron..... thinking along worst case scenario.... Omicron goes ballistic everywhere ,TH  pulls shutters down again .......where would I rather be  living  for maybe a few months and medical health care standards...... 14 days strict quarantine in TH doesnt look that bad if you add all the ifs buts and maybe's together...... will wait until 23rd Dec and see if TH modifies any of its conditions .....if they said OK 7 days Q from low risk African nations i would be there like a flash

i did 7 days locked up last entry, it was ok.

2 weeks is torture.

For sure Omicron is everywhere, i think they'll bring in quarantine back for a lot of the european countries where it's going out of control.

All a big pain in the ass for sure.