PROS & CONS OF THAI ID CARD

I've been married and living in Thailand for almost 15 years, got my yellow book about 10 years ago and never tried for a pink card.  In the 10 years with my yellow book I tried to use it once when I renews my driver's license, the DLT said no must be a residency cert form immigration. And used it when I opened my bank account, not mandatory but useful.

The value of the yellow book and pink card (IMO) is overrated.

Edited by bbko
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Not everyone can get a Thai driving licence though.

Use an Agent. Like Immigration. Can’t or won’t meet requirements ? 
TIT. Connections & Money the solution. Never used Agent myself for DLT TDL as too easy process with full western driving Licences. Neither saying you should actually drive with your agent TDL if not able or qualified. BUT it’s just a very useful Govt. Photo ID to have for general non- driving use here. 

57 minutes ago, bbko said:

I've been married and living in Thailand for almost 15 years, got my yellow book about 10 years ago and never tried for a pink card.  In the 10 years with my yellow book I tried to use it once when I renews my driver's license, the DLT said no must be a residency cert form immigration. And used it when I opened my bank account, not mandatory but useful.

“Overrated” ? As my above analysis, they are simply not required for anything much except a Thai ID - based TDL. DLT do now accept YB as Address Proof.

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Major plus, though I think they changed the rules since, if out & about a lot, use to check in hotels, and no need to do TM30s, as that ID isn't accepted into the Imm reporting system, so they never know you're out of town.  Don't think I've had a hotel refuse it, and ask for my PP instead.

Driving license had the same effect. Since the change last year, that a TM30 upon return is no longer required, it's of course irrelevant.

If a hotel really wants to do the TM30 (in my experience usually a bit upper class western chain hotels), they would reject both, driving license and pink ID card, and would insist on passport.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kokesaat said:

I'm not aware that there's any 'official translation' of a foreigner's name into Thai language.  When I got my pink ID, I wrote my name in Thai on one of the forms and that's what they gave me.  Likewise, my Thai wife of 49 years.......just recently changed her last name from maiden name to my last name (it's a long story).  She asked that the Thai name be spelled the same as what I carried on my pink ID.  No problem.

When I did my yellow book I had to provide certified translations of my passport and birth certificate. It was these which were used for my name in Thai language.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bbko said:

Agreed. Until such time as these "hallowed" docs include the most important piece of personal information about the holder - namely the date when their current permission to stay in Thailand expires - their usefulness strikes me as being limited - except for those seeking to apply for Thai citizenship for which they are, I understand, prerequisites.

17 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Except when your local Amphur man says that you must be MARRIED to get a Yellow Book/Pink Card, which is totally wrong, but who am I to argue..

They certainly do. Plus resident at least 12 months. If/when you satisfy both conditions and then go back requesting your Yellow Book/Pink ID Card they will have thought up some further requirements by then!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Also Cost me a very large payment there,  via my Land Owner, to replace my wholly incorrect House Blue Book. Hint: google Peaks Residence. 

This one?

The Peaks Residences reduced to rubble

PHUKET: The Peaks Residences, ruled by the Supreme Administrative Court as illegally occupying protected forest land at Kata Noi, on Phuket’s southwest coast, has been demolished.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/the-peaks-residences-reduced-to-rubble-82412.php

Edited by tomazbodner
Removed top of quote to expose part replying fo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Agreed. Until such time as these "hallowed" docs include the most important piece of personal information about the holder - namely the date when their current permission to stay in Thailand expires - their usefulness strikes me as being limited - except for those seeking to apply for Thai citizenship for which they are, I understand, prerequisites.

Visa status necessarily separate from all other govt. docs.

otherwise be impractically updating them every two or 12 months !

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

They certainly do. Plus resident at least 12 months. If/when you satisfy both conditions and then go back requesting your Yellow Book/Pink ID Card they will have thought up some further requirements by then!

Marriage not required for YB in Thai law. large amount of work to produce YB so some try to avoid …… Tessaban clerks hold the very lowest status within Thai govt so take every chance to exercise their “power” even with Thais .my (unmarried) Thai lady wanted to throttle the bitch toad presiding over my YB issue…….