Which (cheap) phone for a 12 year old boy to play games?

OneMoreFarang

My gf wants to buy a phone for one of the kids in the family. He is 12 years old.

I am the person who will pay for the phone. I am willing to pay maybe 3000B if that will do the job.

It seems i.e. the Redmi 9A is available for that price.

I have no idea which games he (wants to) play etc.

As far as you know is new a phone in the 3000 price area good enough? Or will he soon later complain that this and that game won't work?

Or does it make more sense to buy a 2nd hand phone?

Until now I haven't really made up my mind if I will buy that or not. But I like to have an idea how much I have to invest.

I.e. if modern games, which boys like to play, run only on a 6000B or more phone then likely I won't buy any phone.

He is 12 years old.  Something second hand and cheap.  At that age there is a reasonable chance it will get lost, broken or stolen.

Haven't his relatives got a cast off phone somewhere?

I haven't bought a new phone in the last 15 years.  I use my wife's cast off phones.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

He is 12 years old.  Something second hand and cheap.  At that age there is a reasonable chance it will get lost, broken or stolen.

Haven't his relatives got a cast off phone somewhere?

I haven't bought a new phone in the last 15 years.  I use my wife's cast off phones.

If he would use the phone as a phone then I would agree.

But I know from computer (PC) games that for the relative new and exiting games a 3 year old computer just won't work. And I think few boys would like to play an "old" game which the other boys (at least the cool boys) stopped playing 2 years ago.

It's not my kid and I won't waste my time thinking about if this is a good idea... 

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

My gf wants to buy a phone for one of the kids in the family. He is 12 years old.

I am the person who will pay for the phone. I am willing to pay maybe 3000B if that will do the job.

It seems i.e. the Redmi 9A is available for that price.

I have no idea which games he (wants to) play etc.

As far as you know is new a phone in the 3000 price area good enough? Or will he soon later complain that this and that game won't work?

Or does it make more sense to buy a 2nd hand phone?

Until now I haven't really made up my mind if I will buy that or not. But I like to have an idea how much I have to invest.

I.e. if modern games, which boys like to play, run only on a 6000B or more phone then likely I won't buy any phone.

Don't waste money on the 9a.

Decent possibilities seem to start around 4k, but don't quote me on that.

Models such as the Poco M3 or even a Redmi Note 9.  The problem is that you are payong for things that you don't really need, in order to obtain a decent CPU/GPU combo. Snapdragon might be better for games, so would lean towards the Poco.

But if you use the Poco as a benchmark, then perhaps you can find a 3k phone with an equal or better CPU/GPU combo that drops some of the other stuff that you don't need. But don't compromise on the chipset; otherwise it will all be a waste.

14 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Does she really want to turn the kid into a zombie , some of these

kids get really addicted to playing games , all they think about .

regards worgeordie

He is already a Smombie.

I don't think there is much hope for him in the real world anymore.