Do you technically drink too much? I think a lot of people probably do.

denvemosc46

Older and wiser ? I’ve noticed that all my older friends have either stopped drinking, or have the odd glass of wine , or only a bottle between two when at a restaurant.  You mind more about your health as you age ! I worked in the restaurant business in a very busy south of France. All my friends drank after work. We worked hard and very long hours , often 7 days a week . The mental fatigue and stress brought us all together for a few nightcaps , sometimes more before going home to bed. I mean, what do you do when you Finnish work at 1 or 2 am or even later , you need to wind down. Just as an office worker doesn’t go home to bed at 6 pm.  I stopped drinking completely around 50. My friends eased off too, just like smoking , but that was 20 years earlier. Didn’t stop me going out, I’d have the very odd coupe de champagne, or a tonic water . These days when I go out with friends, we have a really good bottle of red, but personally I drink nothing at home, or during the week. Now the festive season is over, I’ll be back to being «  dry » , just for health reasons, same as going on a week or two diet to loose the weight from over eating. It doesn’t bother me at all. I have regular blood tests etc, and they’re all very good. I think having check ups help you realize a lot and help you avoid problems when they start showing signs. Happy and healthy new year.

• Like 1

Yes, I drink too much.  The neurologist that attended to me after an apparent stroke told me so.  He said one drink a day is probably good for you, two might be and three is definitely not.  I'm at around ten (beer and/or wine), but I've occasionally gone years without drinking. 

It turned out to be an ocular migraine that he failed to diagnose (maybe not the best neurologist).  That was 11 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thnk the answer is probably yes but by the amount of replies suggest that there are many who do not want to reveal their alcohol intake .  I had a doctor friend in the UK who could drink me under the table every night and he is still going strong , aged 65 years old . I am 74 years old and still like to indulge beyond the reccomended limits . Have had numerous medical tests and life style questionairres but still manage to avoid the ticking off of the doctors . I do stay away from the top shelf .

• Like 1

Excessive alcohol consumption can also lead to insulin resistance, that for many people can lead to old age diabetes.  Especially if there is a history of that in your family. 

Keep an eye on your blood sugar , if it is higher than 100 fasting (in the morning before you eat). you might be heading for trouble.  

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2022 at 1:53 AM, Mark Nothing said:

Enjoy your life.  Have fun.  Your body is strong in your 30's and 40's.

My brother told me, "One drink is just right.  Two is too much.  3+ is never enough."

For me, one drink is too many and 30 not enough. 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 11:48 PM, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

A long, long time ago I ordered a couple of wine coolers for me and a trucker I was drinking with in a bar UK side (we were bored of beer and just having some fun). I remember the smirk from the barman. I felt like punching the smirk off his face. A real man drinks whatever he likes.

Just not milk or milk shakes …. Unless with burgers ????????

On 1/1/2022 at 11:21 PM, superal said:

I thnk the answer is probably yes but by the amount of replies suggest that there are many who do not want to reveal their alcohol intake .  I had a doctor friend in the UK who could drink me under the table every night and he is still going strong , aged 65 years old . I am 74 years old and still like to indulge beyond the reccomended limits . Have had numerous medical tests and life style questionairres but still manage to avoid the ticking off of the doctors . I do stay away from the top shelf .

Not that strange that in the part of the forum where they address alcohol problems many post that they drink too much.

I don't know what kind of tests have been done but assuming they were comprehensive and checked your liver then your probably fine. 

But if someone does not want to change there is no point in making someone change. Change comes from the desire to change, or getting a wake up call health wise. Same goes for weight loss, if someone does not want to change there is no point.

Can't force a healthy life on people (and i believe it should not be done). People should be free to abuse their body the way they like. But should not moan when it catches up with them. A lot of expats love their drink and don't nearly get enough exercise. Their choice not something they should be judged on. 

I never had a drinking problem, weigh was a problem that sometimes comes back if i my routine gets broken up. But it takes effort to do healthy stuff and the benefits are not seen right away. Besides if you can drink all night with a girl on your lap and that is your dream (many came here to party) then that is not likely going to change. 

I have always struggled with sleep, I thought i exercised enough. I used drugs to try to counter the sleeping problems. Did not work (or at least not good enough). Only since i went back to doing a lot more exercise on top of my weight lifting did things start to change. Now i am sleeping much better without any drugs. Had i known it would have helped my sleep i would have done it more long ago. 

But it takes effort and it too me over 1 1/2 month to see the results in my sleep.  It also means a row of 5000 meters a day for me. Not many are willing to do that kind of volume. Many people want instant gratification (me too). But without problems most wont change as there is no need. (until problems hit).

IMHO people need to make the choice themselves and given how socially accepted alcohol is (and obesity) this won't happen often. Forcing people to stop or exercise is never ever going to work. So only option is to wait for problems to come or for someone to change their mind. No easy solutions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Not that strange that in the part of the forum where they address alcohol problems many post that they drink too much.

I don't know what kind of tests have been done but assuming they were comprehensive and checked your liver then your probably fine. 

But if someone does not want to change there is no point in making someone change. Change comes from the desire to change, or getting a wake up call health wise. Same goes for weight loss, if someone does not want to change there is no point.

Can't force a healthy life on people (and i believe it should not be done). People should be free to abuse their body the way they like. But should not moan when it catches up with them. A lot of expats love their drink and don't nearly get enough exercise. Their choice not something they should be judged on. 

I never had a drinking problem, weigh was a problem that sometimes comes back if i my routine gets broken up. But it takes effort to do healthy stuff and the benefits are not seen right away. Besides if you can drink all night with a girl on your lap and that is your dream (many came here to party) then that is not likely going to change. 

I have always struggled with sleep, I thought i exercised enough. I used drugs to try to counter the sleeping problems. Did not work (or at least not good enough). Only since i went back to doing a lot more exercise on top of my weight lifting did things start to change. Now i am sleeping much better without any drugs. Had i known it would have helped my sleep i would have done it more long ago. 

But it takes effort and it too me over 1 1/2 month to see the results in my sleep.  It also means a row of 5000 meters a day for me. Not many are willing to do that kind of volume. Many people want instant gratification (me too). But without problems most wont change as there is no need. (until problems hit).

IMHO people need to make the choice themselves and given how socially accepted alcohol is (and obesity) this won't happen often. Forcing people to stop or exercise is never ever going to work. So only option is to wait for problems to come or for someone to change their mind. No easy solutions.

Tis surprising the amount of sports stars ( healthy & fit ) who die early or retire early and cease their exercise routine and turn obese and then hit problems . I worked hard all my life in mechanical engineering , enjoyed football , rowing and golf . Now I am a lazy so & so and my weight has gone up by 10 kg . Dont like it cos many of my clothes no longer fit . I have thought about exercise but thats as far as it gets , mainly because it gets too hot over here , plus the gyms do not have qualified instructors . Also the pools are not supervised  ( saw a guy drown in a Pattaya hotel pool because no trained first aid personnel ) .I believe you have to be careful if you are out of shape and want to start exercising again and over here it is not the same as developed countries with health & safety awareness .

47 minutes ago, superal said:

Tis surprising the amount of sports stars ( healthy & fit ) who die early or retire early and cease their exercise routine and turn obese and then hit problems . I worked hard all my life in mechanical engineering , enjoyed football , rowing and golf . Now I am a lazy so & so and my weight has gone up by 10 kg . Dont like it cos many of my clothes no longer fit . I have thought about exercise but thats as far as it gets , mainly because it gets too hot over here , plus the gyms do not have qualified instructors . Also the pools are not supervised  ( saw a guy drown in a Pattaya hotel pool because no trained first aid personnel ) .I believe you have to be careful if you are out of shape and want to start exercising again and over here it is not the same as developed countries with health & safety awareness .

I am not exactly sure if being a sport star means your healthy and fit, these guys operate at the peak of their ability. Maybe with extra help from steroids (im not totally against them but too much is a bad thing). I doubt that these guys are super healthy. Fit sure but operating at that high a level can wear someone down. More exercise is not always better.

Your point about working hard is a good one as for those in sedentary jobs need sports (to relieve stress for one). 

I don't think swimming in a pool needs an instructor, but then again im a strong swimmer and a diver. Been brought up around water. So my views might be bias. But if you did rowing why not go to a gym and start rowing on a machine. At least you know the movement. 

If your out of shape start slow, plenty of information on the internet on how to start an exercise program. Sometimes its a lot better to read it yourself then to be told. Also don't believe celebrity influencers good looks does not mean they know what they are talking about. 

I think if you start rowing like 10 minutes and increase with no more then 10% per week (time your ok) or at least that is what is advised normally. But even just walking is exercise, just walking half an hour is good. But your right its hot outside. That is why i like gyms as heat affects me too much. Its all a matter of finding something that suits you. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ding said:

If I drew a line halfway down a bottle of my favorite, I couldn't stop at that line.

So I don't get a bottle, or draw a line, or see if I can stop. I just don't start no matter what.

That is really recognizable, I am trying to get really lean. In the past i have done it too but i noticed that this time it went easier. Reason, i did not take any syrup with soda anymore. I have found that i just have to cut it totally out as stopping is just not an option. It would always become more. I know its not alcohol but for some people its just better to cut stuff out as its too hard to limit.

Not everyone has this problem but if you know you have this problem cutting something out completely is much better. I don't even have the urge anymore. Wish i did it years before, makes things a lot easier.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/1/2022 at 3:50 PM, khunPer said:

The 14 drinks for men as healthy advice is for middle aged, or older men; for younger beings it's not a health advice, but a limit not to spoil both yone's body and life, according to health studies and the qualified experts.

For the healthy parts it's not only red wine that is recommended, some studies found beer equally healthy, and other concluded that the alcohol is the major healthy part, even several sorts of red wine includes the healthy resveratrol.

Like everything else in life, it seems to be a question of balance...:whistling:

Of course you can enjoy the benefits of maturing, and being told that one or two glass of wine (or beer) with the dinner is healthy - personally I'm religious enough to believe in it - but I also don't think that it's directly unhealthy for younger beings. However, partying every week end and getting stoned with hangover next day is a different matter, I can easily get the impression that it might be quite unhealthy.

A difficult part about enjoying a glass of something that includes alcohol is, as it often is to almost everything in life, not to get addicted...????

This is Thailand, does 14 drinks mean 14 x 320 ml bottles of beer or 14 x 620 ml bottles. 

3 x 620 ml bottles (at 5% abv) is near enough 10 units of alcohol and is way over any legal fit to drive limit. So is 2 bottles come to that. 

• Haha 1