MG Zs

eezergood

10 minutes ago, transam said:

Best specs, hmmm, the Chinese brand Chery have a near identical ride to the ZS, the big difference is, although they both have a 1500cc engine, the Chery has a turbo, it has some real pep, now that would look good with an MG badge....105hp vs 145hp.

Chery.thumb.jpg.c0c6d8b2d296adcba582a6c43bad9c76.jpg

Liking the Haval H6 ... that caught my eye.  Chery not established yet here.  Got a few years of warranty & 24 hr road service to go, before even thinking about a new vehicle.  

Next thing, if and when, will probably only have 2 wheels.  Or go all in silly, and have an outboard motor.  If I lived on the Andaman side, I'd have cat anchored in one of the coves, possible even live on.  Maybe the next big purchase.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 10:38 AM, KhunLA said:

Agree on the seat, as we do long drives out & about, and you have to adjust the seat just right, or it will seem hard.  I raise the seat, making it more level, as leading edge is raised a bit, and helps.  Luckily there is plenty of head room for that.

If having a not so good back, some of these cars can be a bit uncomfortable getting in.  ZS works out good for me.  I peeked at the MG EP this month, and just a wee bit to low, and not comfy at all for myself getting in & out.

Strangely, before getting the ZS, had a Mazda 2 (2011, I think), and actually looked at getting another, and I couldn't get in it at all.  Don't know what they did, or my back got worse, doubt it, but the redesign killed that sale.  Quite happy about it, as the ZS didn't cost that much more, and so much better.  Like the Mazda 2, peppy, but noisy as all hell on the highway.  Not much smaller, length / width wise, but no headroom, which makes you feel claustrophobic vs the not much larger ZS.  Headroom and sitting higher gives you a much better feel, and quieter.  

Probably much less so than larger SUVs, as I've ridden in Fortuners, but also almost twice the price.  Just don't need that much car.

The MG HS has a bit more room for bigger folks, and the seats are very plush.  The lumbar support is a back saver for me as well as the tilt able steering wheel which also can be moved outward for those who sit back farther from the dash. True I did pay more than a ZS would have cost, but when we travel with three of us it rides very good.  Mileage is very similar to the ZS as well.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, transam said:

I just looked at the MG warranty, 4 years OR 140,000KM/87,000 Miles, plus you have to have everything done at MG dealer during that period....????

https://www.mgcars.com/en/AfterSalesService

Yea, not a fan of that (service at dealer), as asked and told if oil change not done at dealer, voids warranty.  Not anymore expensive (free labor) or anything, just at the time, no dealer near us (100 kms away).  Not really a problem, as go to Hua Hin often enough.  Now have one 3 kms away.  Just think the every 10k kms is a joke also.  Not like I'm going to change the oil & filter myself anyway, as haven't done one in over 20 yrs ????

Probably the biggest plus about EVs, whether 2 or 4 wheels.

Edited by KhunLA

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Oh boy here we go another China hater troll post....You do realize many  Hi End cars parts and so on are produced in China as well as non Chinese cars themselves....

Not my German cars, but yes, enjoy your life if you have to shame buying Chinese cars, it's great for you !

4 minutes ago, bangkokstick said:

Not my German cars, but yes, enjoy your life if you have to shame buying Chinese cars, it's great for you !

Hilarious for you to believe that parts for your Mercedes etc. are not made in China.  But do yourself some research before you stick your foot in your mouth again.

https://forum.w116.org/test-drive/genuine-mercedes-parts-are-now-made-in-china/

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/09/10-german-vehicles-built-germany.html

But many of the cars and crossover manufactured by Teutonic firms aren’t actually built in the Fatherland. German companies have factories all around the world, from emerging markets like China and India to Eastern Europe, South Africa and even the good old U.S. of A.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 2

Just a suggestion, but check out the Suzuki XL7. Costs a shade under 800,000 but they are offering discounts up the ying yang. Traded in our Mazda 2 and they offered 140,000 baht, my wife said I want 200,000 baht….said Yes immediately. It is an MPV with 7 seats and not the huge size of the big SUV’s. We have another Suzuki Ciaz with 90,000 kilos….very comfortable and my favorite for quite a while when we had the Mazda. Suzuki service in Korat was the best when we lived there. I think they try harder. Suzuki were going to drive down to Pattaya to pick up the Mazda and then drive back to BKK……they really wanted to make the deal happen. It is a buyers market right now. Good luck.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, transam said:

When MG (Morris Garages) was bought by the British Motor Corporation, Morris badge was used on basic rides and the MG badge was used on performance rides, mainly the same cars with higher output for the MG badge

I am from the USA.  There were few MG's in the USA.  They looked nice but did not have a good reputation for reliability and service on them was always limited.  

I purchased an MG5 a little over a year ago.  I was very happy with it.  Had only 1 minor problem with a turn signal indicator switch which the dealership quickly fixed at no charge. The car had far more options and was slightly larger than the comparable Toyota Vios or Honda City and was less money. 

I think that the MG brand here in Thailand is a good value.  It is a nice looking car with lots of amenities for their price.  I have driven the ZS and HS models and they are nice.  They ride a little firmer than the comparable Toyota and Honda SUV's.  I bought my car as a repo with only 12,000 km on it.  Though I did not buy from the dealer, both dealers in Pattaya performed routine warranty service on the car and I was treated like a valued customer. 

The biggest negative to the MG;s is that they do not have the perception of a Toyota or Honda and hence the resale value is lower.  I had the opportunity to buy a used 2021 MG HS with only 8,000 km on it for 675,000 baht.  I bought a Toyota Corolla Cross instead.  In retrospect I should have bought the MG.  500,000 baht cheaper and larger cargo area.  

I am very happy with my Toyota Corolla Cross and I do like its ride better than the MG HS.  But it is smaller in cargo area than the MG and as a matter of fact, I could put more in the trunk of my MG 5 Sedan. 

If I was buying an MG again, I would do the same as the first time, buy used and preferably from a private party so no VAT.  The ZS seems to hold its value better than the HS.  I think that is because fewer Thai's can afford the larger HS and perhaps some concern that its size makes it more difficult to maneuver and park. 

I also looked at the new Glory, and Haval.  They look wonderful though I was not able to drive one.  The biggest negative is the lack of service centers throughout Thailand yet.  Also, since they don't have the perception of a Toyota or Honda I expect their used car value to plummet if you tried to sell it

image.png.32877b58e73ecba59e58fb24ac0e63e8.pngimage.png.beb587fb9ba7e8bea649a9acc46b8c25.png

Edited by Longwood50
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mansell said:

Just a suggestion, but check out the Suzuki XL7. Costs a shade under 800,000 but they are offering discounts up the ying yang. Traded in our Mazda 2 and they offered 140,000 baht, my wife said I want 200,000 baht….said Yes immediately. It is an MPV with 7 seats and not the huge size of the big SUV’s. We have another Suzuki Ciaz with 90,000 kilos….very comfortable and my favorite for quite a while when we had the Mazda. Suzuki service in Korat was the best when we lived there. I think they try harder. Suzuki were going to drive down to Pattaya to pick up the Mazda and then drive back to BKK……they really wanted to make the deal happen. It is a buyers market right now. Good luck.

we got a Suzuki XL7 a few months ago, we test drove a few other cars , and a few of them had lots of bells and whistles, I really liked the Haval H6 , but wife thought it was too big and said she was not comfortable driving it, The Jolion is also nice , but was not available at the time. 

But we really did not care about bells and whistles, we wanted something dependable that would stand the test of time. Me research showed that Suzuki tops the dependability charts around the world, and it's 1.5 engine can not be killed if you tried, and has some of the best fuel mileage. 15.2 km per liter

No description available.

The third row seat is mostly down, but during a family outing we had 9 people on the car. With the second and third row seats down we put two full size bicycles in all the time, and when we bought a queen size teak bed for the guest room , the place where we bought it were surprised that they could put the whole thin in the back with room to spare. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mansell said:

Just a suggestion, but check out the Suzuki XL7. Costs a shade under 800,000

Wee bit less hp for about 100k more.  That about the ZS's full options model price.

3 ys or 100,000 km vs 4 yrs / 120k kms .. Do like the 15 kpl though, as 11 kpl is bit lite, as used to 13/14 with Mazda2, but like using E85, fair trade.

Hard to believe they squeezed a 3rd row of seats in the XL7, as a bit shorter than the ZS.

Plenty of flavors out there for everyone.  Next few years will be interesting with the EV competition.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Amused by the comments on German cars. Out Xmas shopping and ended up talking to an Indian guy around 35. He coordinates the building of BMW chassis here near Pattaya….he did same job in India and Germany before this. So who knows where these cars are built anymore.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yea basically.  MG3-5-ZS all use 1.5L.  All the manufacturers seem to have that one down to a science.

Some other entry level cars may use 1.2 or 1.3.  Don't hear to many major complaints about engines.

I read somewhere that the ZS was going to have an engine change, a 1000cc 3 pot with a weeee turbo......They are certainly pulling the MG performance stops out.......????

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, transam said:

I read somewhere that the ZS was going to have an engine change, a 1000cc 3 pot with a weeee turbo......They are certainly pulling the MG performance stops out.......????

My HS has a 1.5 liter Turbo

https://www.sgcarmart.com/news/review.php?AID=1616

On the move, there's a decent amount of forward punch. With a healthy 160bhp and 250Nm of torque from the 1.5-litre turbocharged lump, power is sent to the front wheels via a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.

This allows for the HS to be pretty brisk at highway speeds, with overtaking manoeuvres executed in a breeze.

Hitting the cheeky 'Super Sport' button on the steering wheel allows for the transmission to hold higher revs, making that overtake just a tad more spirited.

• Like 1

Do any versions of MG ZS come with blind spot monitoring? Usually there is some kind of indicator in the side mirrors that lets the driver know there is something in the adjacent lane.  Had this on my Mazda CX3 before and it might have saved me from hitting a motorcycle that appeared out of nowhere on my left after had I initially checked that nothing was there.

11 hours ago, Dust said:

Do any versions of MG ZS come with blind spot monitoring? Usually there is some kind of indicator in the side mirrors that lets the driver know there is something in the adjacent lane.  Had this on my Mazda CX3 before and it might have saved me from hitting a motorcycle that appeared out of nowhere on my left after had I initially checked that nothing was there.

Not sure about this, but they do offer decent bang for buck 

12 hours ago, Dust said:

The ZS EV has blind spot monitoring.

Don't know about the ICE models. You could try Googling.

16 minutes ago, macahoom said:

The ZS EV has blind spot monitoring.

Don't know about the ICE models. You could try Googling.

Or simply turn your head and look.  Relying on mirrors & sensors is easy way to kill someone.

When I teach people to drive, I adjust the mirrors so they can't see anything useful.  You want to make sure nothing is there, turn & look.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Or simply turn your head and look.  Relying on mirrors & sensors is easy way to kill someone.

When I teach people to drive, I adjust the mirrors so they can't see anything useful.  You want to make sure nothing is there, turn & look.

I would agree with you but these motors that zip in and out between the cars make it really hard to be a Gumby at all times while keeping an eye on the road and cars ahead of you.  My HS has the warning sound, if I keep it turned on as well as the flashing yellow indicator on the side mirrors and on the dash as well.  Once in a while the center consoles infotainment screen pops on and shows me the offender, but that's only at a crawl while in traffic.

On 12/27/2021 at 11:15 AM, ThailandRyan said:

I would agree with you but these motors that zip in and out between the cars make it really hard to be a Gumby at all times while keeping an eye on the road and cars ahead of you.  My HS has the warning sound, if I keep it turned on as well as the flashing yellow indicator on the side mirrors and on the dash as well.  Once in a while the center consoles infotainment screen pops on and shows me the offender, but that's only at a crawl while in traffic.

what year is your car?

any major issues so far?

11 minutes ago, eezergood said:

what year is your car?

any major issues so far?

2020 Model, bought in March of 2021.  No problems whatsoever other than remembering to push the DVR button to record when I start the car...lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

2020 Model, bought in March of 2021.  No problems whatsoever other than remembering to push the DVR button to record when I start the car...lol

thanks - i think these things are a perfect second car choice, now to test drive one

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Change settings, as mine turns on & off automatically.