TMB/Thanachart cannot accept wire transfer over 50k baht (from foreign pension agencies) ?

19 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

Many do not have one as many UK banks are now refusing to send cards to non UK addresses.

I have had credit cards sent directly to my Thailand address using courier service (ie., DHL) and typically charged $100 by the credit card company. As cards duration is 3-5 years, amortizing the cost monthly isn't a significant cost.

• Confused 1

Paid a visit to my local TTB just to clarify.

Staff told me, this limit only applies to TTB accts

As usual, take this with a dumptruck of salt.

I remember TMB as always stringent with rules etc

I have hoped they would become more 'modern' after the merger with Thanachart

On 12/21/2021 at 10:41 AM, foreverlomsak said:

So much for their concerns over non payment of hospital bills by foreigners if you cannot transfer a large sum of funds here at short notice.

Just tried Wise from UK 30 minutes ago 600K THB cannot do, 400K THB cannot do, 200K THB OK get tomorrow 2.13pm in Bangkok Bank.

"...if you cannot transfer a large sum of funds here at short notice.

You can.   Use SWIFT!   

On 12/20/2021 at 3:12 PM, VinnieK said:

The story is what she told me and keep in mind that she is 80 and mildly senile...some details might be missing.

"...she is 80 and mildly senile...some details might be missing".

Tell her to use the traditional method of international transfers, SWIFT.   No bank will restrict the amount that can be transferred bank to bank, it makes no sense for posters to suggest that they do.

The same thing happened a few days ago with someone claiming, falsely, that cash in excess of B50k cannot be deposited over the counter into Thai bank accounts. 

On 12/20/2021 at 5:05 PM, BritManToo said:

So retirement requires 65Kbht/month transfer from abroad .......

But you are limited to 50kbht/month.

Somethings not right there.

Would suggest using Wise, and it being recorded as a 'local' transfer.

But makes the paperwork harder if you're using 65kbht/month to get a retirement extension.

Which part of the Wise menu do you use to 'record as local transfer'

On 12/21/2021 at 9:48 AM, Finlaco said:

As of December 1st, the maximum you can send in a single transfer will be 49,999.99 THB. The change is due to new regulations introduced by the Anti-money Laundering Office (AMLO) and Payment System Office (PSO) for Thailand and applies to all money transfer companies.  Azimo

I received this email from.one of the peer to peer transfer companies earlier this month.  I check with Wise and they say no limit for them to Thailand.  I haven't done a tlf since the new laws.

I think you will find that limit is 50,000 USD not 50,000 Thai Baht! :cheesy:

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

I have had credit cards sent directly to my Thailand address using courier service (ie., DHL) and typically charged $100 by the credit card company. As cards duration is 3-5 years, amortizing the cost monthly isn't a significant cost.

UK banks charged you $100 ??????

20 hours ago, Chris.B said:

UK banks charged you $100 ??????

UK is not my homeland where I bank, have credit cards and a business address. The credit card belongs to the bank. Likely the bank added a "convenience" charge to arrange courier delivery. ???? 

22 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

UK is not my homeland where I bank, have credit cards and a business address. The credit card belongs to the bank. Likely the bank added a "convenience" charge to arrange courier delivery. ???? 

Yet you responded to a post which was discussing UK banks...... ????

Edited by Chris.B

On 12/22/2021 at 11:32 AM, Srikcir said:

But who took it to theveryone DHL office? Not your bank?

I use a firm called Currency Fair for my transfers. Similar to Wise. A few weeks ago they emailed me to say that transfers above 50k Baht may have to be sent via Swift and may take longer and result in additional fees. This being a change at the Thai end.

To be honest I have no idea what Swift is and my transfers are less than 50k so did not pay much attention, just reporting what they said.

On 12/22/2021 at 3:24 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

"...she is 80 and mildly senile...some details might be missing".

Tell her to use the traditional method of international transfers, SWIFT.   No bank will restrict the amount that can be transferred bank to bank, it makes no sense for posters to suggest that they do.

The same thing happened a few days ago with someone claiming, falsely, that cash in excess of B50k cannot be deposited over the counter into Thai bank accounts. 

It's the Swiss pension system that decides the mode of transfer not her.

• Haha 1

During the second week of July 2021, my two Thanachart Bank savings accounts were converted into Thanachart TTB Bank savings accounts.  

The new staff of the Thanchart TTB Bank branch on Soi Asoke assisted me in applying for my monthly US Social Security "retirement" account (I am 65 years of age).

Starting in September 2021, I began receiving a monthly payment of US $2,255 - always delivered in Thai baht.  Depending on the USD/THB exchange rate, that has meant that my  monthly receipt has varied from 74,000+ baht to 75,000+ baht.   All deposits have been received routinely, with no difficulties.

Edited by maisodni
Correcting a message spacing error.
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 1:57 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

You're not seriously trying to say that the Swiss will not pay a pension that is less than CHF1,400 to an overseas bank?   

As of December and this particular bank...yes.

She was using the same bank (TMB) for ages, for her pension with no problems

Like I said earlier, staff at the bank told me it's a new regulation for TTB.

As always, I believe about 10% of what any 'staff' tell me here. 

She switched bank and a form had to be mailed back to Swiss by snail  mail.

Thanks for all the answers 

• 1 month later...