Koh Samui: Three foreign tourists arrive with Omicron - Thai media says locals are not panicking

webfact

4 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

where did they come from?? How long were they already in Thailand?? I am not sure Koh Samui has an international airport. Not all needed information again in the article. 

3 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

from the picture: 8 single men and one family! 

is that typical demographic for samui now?

When I first arrived here some years ago it was - obviously still is!  Quality tourists!

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

where did they come from?? How long were they already in Thailand?? I am not sure Koh Samui has an international airport. Not all needed information again in the article. 

Samui airport is part international as it flys to Singapore HongKong and China that’s it as far as I know the Brits would have come by way of Bangkok at Phuket as would the Belgium from looking at the amount of cases in the U.K. as well as other countries the Thai government need to get on top of this strain as it’s reported it spreads like wildfire 

11 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I cannot speak for the whole of Samui, but in my little business this week I have checked in :-

Family of 8 from Dubai

Family of 5 from the UK

A couple from the UK (One with Covid)

A couple from the USA

2 male and one female from the UK

Family of 7 from Thailand

5 males from Denmark

Family of 3 from Singapore (plus maid)

Some smaller groups of domestic tourists and a couple of family groups of Chinese.

Today -a couple from Dubai, family of 8 mainland Chinese and  family of 5 from the USA.

Yes - quality tourists.

I thought the Chinese were not allowed to leave China until 2022 and my neighbour who is Chinese confirmed that with me as at this time of year all his houses would be booked with Chinese visitors he has zero Chinese staying at the moment 

6 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Usually there are few international flights . I  am unsure about now.

8 hours ago, RmcaIssan said:

British couple ...with current status in UK, madness to travel and now locked down !!

It has probably been booked for a while and they obviously passed all the checks before barding the aircraft or they would not have been able to board. The report does not mention the country of their departure so you have no idea which country they were staying in. 

You just made an assumption based on nothing other than they were British. They could have come from the UK, EU, any of the Arab Gulf states depending on the airline (name not given).

And if they did come from the UK, so what? AFAIK there is no ban on travelling from the UK to Thailand. The couple may not even have known that they had Omicron.

1 hour ago, Mrfox said:

How on earth on they allowed to travel and allowed on the plane??? 

AFAIK there are no travel bans and if they had passed ALL the checks AND the airport tests then why would they not be allowed to board the aircraft and travel?

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Singapore are NOT Chinese!

Really?

Where did you get that idea from?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Singapore

From the link.

quote "Singapore is a multiracial and multicultural Asian society and its people are broadly organised under the CMIO (Chinese–Malay–Indian–Other) system of categorisation since 1965. Ethnic Chinese at 75.9% form the largest group, followed by ethnic Malays (15.0%) and ethnic Indians (7.5%), collectively making up virtually the entirety of its citizen population (98.4%).[3] The remaining 1.6% consists of those classified as "Other" or are Eurasians."

Edited by billd766
Bold and underlined by me.

14 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

All the information you need is that they would have transferred from Suvarnabhumi, Omicron sheds much more virus into the air and it's likely to be spreading everywhere. So far it's only causing mild symptoms, some people don't know they have it and it's displaced Delta in SA. 

Looking likely that it will displace Delta soon in the UK, USA, and other countries soon Australia also. Its now in NZ, so watch the Data coming out daily, looking good in SA now, hopefully this will be the beginning of the end of the pandemic. 

• Like 2

On 12/22/2021 at 1:37 AM, kiwikeith said:

Looking likely that it will displace Delta soon in the UK, USA, and other countries soon Australia also. Its now in NZ, so watch the Data coming out daily, looking good in SA now, hopefully this will be the beginning of the end of the pandemic. 

Actually Omicron is already the dominant strain in the UK and USA already. We should remember that one month ago no-one had heard of this variant. Yes, it spreads like wildfire - 106,000 covid-19 cases in UK yesterday. Until last week i only personally knew 2 or 3 people who had got Covid-19, but last week told my brother and his wife got it end of November, and yesterday my son and 2 of his friends in Ghana tested positive (it is ripping through the capital Accra now, may not show up in statistics because testing isn't free).

I expect cases in Thailand to rise rapidly in January.

• Like 1