Do Thais Dance?

Brewster67

I have been here for 12 years and have been all over tourist places where western music blasts out of bars, but I can't ever recall Thais actually dancing on dance floors or if dance floors even exist.

Maybe i just havn't noticed because I don't dance myself any more. Don't get me wrong, I used to be a right mover in my youth and would usually dance for about 70% of the time I was in a nightclub. But now I have two left feet and would never want to embarrass myself by shaking my bits in public.

I have been to many Thai music venues and Saturday night bars, even in high student populations, the music plays but I have never noticed Thais dancing... 

Am I just not taking notice?... Or are Thais just too conservative to do their thing?

Oh, I am not talking about stage shows and pole dancing, that is for money and entertainment of the watchers and is organised.

• Confused 1

Thailand is famous for its dances. The question is astonishing because it is either a troll or just deeply ignorant. Morlam, Morlam sing, Boram, Temple dancing, traditional costumed dancing to the narrative of Thai religion and mythology, ghosts dancing, the khon, li-khe, ram wong, shadow puppetry, lakhon lek, and lakhon and go go dancing! Thai festivals feature dancing as much a food. The ghost mask festival features hours of dancing in masks....

• Like 2

Thais love to dance, young and old. They have some culture specific moves intertwined with modern dancing that are quite unique.

Throw a bawdy Issan popular song on the TV and you'll have trouble stopping them from dancing.

14 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Thailand is famous for its dances. The question is astonishing because it is either a troll or just deeply ignorant. Morlam, Morlam sing, Boram, Temple dancing, traditional costumed dancing to the narrative of Thai religion and mythology, ghosts dancing, the khon, li-khe, ram wong, shadow puppetry, lakhon lek, and lakhon and go go dancing! Thai festivals feature dancing as much a food. The ghost mask festival features hours of dancing in masks....

Yawn.... That is NOT the type of dancing I am talking about. You basically named a list of traditional show dancing for the viewing of others. I am talking about disco dancing in places like bars and nightclubs. How the hell did you miss that in my pretty specific post?

• Like 2

Do Thais like to dance? From my experience of living in a rural environment, Thais love to dance and do so at every given opportunity. 

Whether it be traditional dancing in groups at functions, contemporary dancing to the cheesy entertainment at events such as weddings or dancing in the road in front of a slow moving pickups weighed down by huge speakers, they basically can't get enough of showing their moves.

• Like 1

They're big into ballroom dancing in the states + dancing in general....To the point they have some open house rooms specially designed with dancing (all types) in mind....

Most small to decent sized Thai cities have night clubs with large dance floors & writhing Thai bodies to match....

Edited by pgrahmm

8 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Appears that the OP belongs to the class of the typical cultural-centric ignorant troll. 

Not worth a response.