CNS Chairman Affirms Election To Be Held Despite Unrest

Jai Dee

CNS Chairman affirms election to be held despite unrest

The Chairman of the Council for National Security affirms that elections will be held by the end of the year.

Army Commander in Chief and Chairman of the Council for National Security Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin affirms that elections will be held in the nation by the end of the year despite the nation's unstable situation.

Various demonstration groups, including Thaksin supporters and former Thai Rak Thai Members of Parliament have verbally attacked the government and the Council for National Security (CNS). Authorities are currently investigating each Thai Rak Thai member in order to determine their involvement in these activities.

Gen Sonthi said that protesters who will be rallying in front of the Royal Thai Army headquarters as a display of people power on June 24th will be closely watched by officials.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 08 June 2007

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This can only be a good thing. It will lend to taking the wind out of the sails of the anti Junta groups. However I expect they would say it is a ploy of sorts. As for the TRT, I am sure they will invent some meaningless reason to make noise.

This can only be a good thing. It will lend to taking the wind out of the sails of the anti Junta groups. However I expect they would say it is a ploy of sorts. As for the TRT, I am sure they will invent some meaningless reason to make noise.

I think you don't understand the situation.

The question is not that elections will not happen. Most people know that the military has to hold elections.

The issue raised by the demonstrators (not all TRT supporters) are about under which conditions the elections will be held, under which constitution, who will be permitted, and the not exactly democratic control mechanisms the military has introduced.

This is neither good nor bad news, just the same statement the junta always made, saying nothing really other than stating the obvious.

Certainly. And the best reason to make noise would be to... not be able to field candidates !

:o

Again, I don't understand the hype :

CASE 1

Ex TRT can't field candidates : then what's the point, elections would solve nothing, it will be the exact opposite of elections of april 2006 = Democrat will be the only "real" party to compete. Crisis

CASE 2

Ex TRT can reform under a new name, and present candidates. Then, they would probably win the elections. Lile they did in 2001, 2005 and 2006 ! But of course the junta doesn't want to allow that. Crisis.

CASE 3

Ex TRT can reform under a new name, and present candidates. Democrats gain infuence. No clear majority. The assembly is deeply divided (like the country). Crisis.

So please, could we try to think a little bit and stop repeating the propaganda mantra : "elections in december are going to solve everything" ?

I could rephrase : what magical event could change completly the situation before december, in less than 6 months ?

Edited by cclub75

This is definitely good news. The longer the uncertainty over the general election stays, the harder it is for the economy to recover. People right now definitely wanna see a firm commitment from the gov't and the Junta that they will hold the lection as soon as possible. Investors (both Thai and foreign) are gonna welcome this great news with open arms. A lot of sensible Thais understand and accept the court rulings in the party disolution cases. This is definitely great news.

And Ccclub7, the junta definitely doesn't have problems with TRT as a whole. They are only against Thaksin and few others. If the remnants of TRT somehow win the majority in the next election, there definitely won't be a crisis. Somkid, ex TRT, was actually supported by the Junta and thought to have a good chance of becoming the next PM until he got banned by the court. Sonthi didn't expect this. He would be more than happy if Somkid gets a pardon and wins the election. Your theories just don't hold water.

Edited by ThaiGoon

like a broken record , I know ......................

First , Referendum

then , Election ...............

all this talk of the cart before the horse is confusing .

If the charter draft doesn't get approved (which I think is very unlikely), then the previous contitution will get amended and used for the next election within 30 days. So what's the problem?

Thai leader says polls will be held by year-end

Thailand's Council for National Security Chairman Sonthi Boonyaratkalin insisted on Thursday that a general election will be held towards the end of the year.

"There will be an election," the general, who led a military coup last year, told reporters.

He did not comment on the ongoing anti-government and anti-coup demonstrations which is held in Bangkok nearly every day.

Source: Xinhua - 08 June 2007

If the charter draft doesn't get approved (which I think is very unlikely), then the previous contitution will get amended and used for the next election within 30 days. So what's the problem?

as typified by your post ,

the problem is the implied irrelevance for a constitution , the building block of democracy.

as typified by your post ,

the problem is the implied irrelevance for a constitution , the building block of democracy.

People understand the choices they have right now, either this new constitution (which I think will be much better than the last) or the amended one based on the last constitution. The people get to choose with their votes, so what's undemocratic about it? Plus there's no way that there would be a lot of amendments done on the old constitution given the fact that the NLA would only have 30 days to amend it. So it would still roughly be what "some people" love so much about the last one.

Again, what's the problem?

And Mid, this topic is abviously about whether or not the election could take place by the end of this year as promised, and now you've veered off to another issue about whether or not the new contitution will be legitimate. Again back to the topic, what's the problem of reaffriming that the election will take place by the end of this year when everything so far obviously has been on schedule?

People understand the choices they have right now, either this new constitution (which I think will be much better than the last) or the amended one based on the last constitution.

silly me , I thought the referendum was a yes or no affair on the topic of the presented constitution ,

i didn't realise that it was a vote for one of the other with a choice of constitutions ,

and let's not throw the south into the debate ....................................

People understand the choices they have right now, either this new constitution (which I think will be much better than the last) or the amended one based on the last constitution. The people get to choose with their votes, so what's undemocratic about it? Plus there's no way that there would be a lot of amendments done on the old constitution given the fact that the NLA would only have 30 days to amend it. So it would still roughly be what "some people" love so much about the last one.

Again, what's the problem?

Thaigoon..Where did you get the information that the last constitution would be amended if the new constitution is not approved. Please let me know the reference for this. I have heard that it is more likely that they would go back in history and grab one of the old military constitutions..And the possibility exists that it would be a lot less "democratic"..

Stoneman

To complete my previous post, and to put things in perspectives.

GENERAL ELECTIONS

Total votes cast : 28,62 millions votes

TRT 11,63 millions 248 seats

Demo 7,6 millions 128 seats

Total votes cast : 32,34 millions votes

TRT 14,07 millions 377 seats

Demo 4,01 millions 96

(or 18.8 and 7.06 millions for TRT and demo, with other sources)

Total votes cast 29,08 millions

TRT 16,42 millions

http://psephos.adam-carr.net/countries/t/thailand/

And Mid, this topic is abviously about whether or not the election could take place by the end of this year as promised, and now you've veered off to another issue about whether or not the new contitution will be legitimate. Again back to the topic, what's the problem of reaffriming that the election will take place by the end of this year when everything so far obviously has been on schedule?

are you really that dense ???

the referendum must pass before the election and is directly related to this topic ............................

Thaigoon..Where did you get the information that the last constitution would be amended if the new constitution is not approved. Please let me know the reference for this. I have heard that it is more likely that they would go back in history and grab one of the old military constitutions..And the possibility exists that it would be a lot less "democratic"..

Stoneman

It's been on almost every piece of news that reported about the charter draft. I'm sure you will see it somewhere or hear it from your friends, neighbours or other posters on this forum.

the referendum must pass before the election and is directly related to this topic ............................

Mid you must either be senile or extremely thick or both. I already said in my first reponse to your post in this thread that if the referendum doen't pass the charter draft, the NLA will amend the old one within 30 days and use it for the upcoming election. So what's the problem?

Edited by ThaiGoon

Certainly. And the best reason to make noise would be to... not be able to field candidates !

:o

Again, I don't understand the hype :

CASE 1

Ex TRT can't field candidates : then what's the point, elections would solve nothing, it will be the exact opposite of elections of april 2006 = Democrat will be the only "real" party to compete. Crisis

CASE 2

Ex TRT can reform under a new name, and present candidates. Then, they would probably win the elections. Lile they did in 2001, 2005 and 2006 ! But of course the junta doesn't want to allow that. Crisis.

CASE 3

Ex TRT can reform under a new name, and present candidates. Democrats gain infuence. No clear majority. The assembly is deeply divided (like the country). Crisis.

So please, could we try to think a little bit and stop repeating the propaganda mantra : "elections in december are going to solve everything" ?

I could rephrase : what magical event could change completly the situation before december, in less than 6 months ?

You have left out what many consider will happen, which is a mix of 2 and 3. Part of TRT will set up a succesor party. Other parts of TRT will set up their own independent parties. TRT influence is down. A coalition government will be formed which could well include one or more of the ex-TRT factions probably with the Dems and Chart Thai. We just have to wait for the new party formation law to see what will devlop afterwards. That will give us a better idea of what the electoral layout will be.

And Mid please don't go back and say "the problem is the implied irrelevance for a constitution , the building block of democracy." we have already discussed that as well.

As for:

silly me , I thought the referendum was a yes or no affair on the topic of the presented constitution ,

i didn't realise that it was a vote for one of the other with a choice of constitutions ,

and let's not throw the south into the debate ....................................

Again, if people are not thick or senile or both (like you), they would understand immediately that what would happen if the draft doesn't get passed. Hence they would know that right now they have two choices for the constitution, either the new one being drafted or the amended one. Again, assuming that people are not thick, senile or both. :o

And Ccclub7, the junta definitely doesn't have problems with TRT as a whole. They are only against Thaksin and few others. If the remnants of TRT somehow win the majority in the next election, there definitely won't be a crisis. Somkid, ex TRT, was actually supported by the Junta and thought to have a good chance of becoming the next PM until he got banned by the court. Sonthi didn't expect this. He would be more than happy if Somkid gets a pardon and wins the election. Your theories just don't hold water.

Don't be so aggressive.

These are not my theories. Just a list of hypothesis. You just provide a fourth hypothesis: a kind of collusion or agreement between TRT and junta.

Interesting. Albeit audacious.

However, you can't deny that the aim of the junta is to keep the power, more or less behind the scene.

I continue to think that's the weak point of the "everything will be okay" folks. I believe many thai won't be -genuinely- happy with such political trick.

Basically, you think that it's enough to play with words and labels : we keep TRT "envelopp" or apparatus and we put friendly leaders, and everybody won't notice.

Again : possible, but dangerous.

Mid you must either be senile or extremely thick or both. I already said in my first reponse to your post in this thread that if the referendum doen't pass the charter draft, the NLA will amend the old one within 30 days and use it for the upcoming election. So what's the problem?

Just for the record and I dont want to be brought into a fight! The official line on what happens with the referendum seems to the new charter will be put to a referendum and if it passes it will become law. This looks a bit 50-50 right now. If it is not passed the CNS can choose from any of the previous constitutions, and ammend them if they want and it will then become the constitution of the land. What you propose is what some (maybe many) are in favour of, but that choice will not be given to the public at the referendum unless the CNS announce before the said referendum what constitution they will choose if the new charter falls.

Peace

when you learn to quote me in context I 'll be happy to resume conversation with you

mid

Don't be so aggressive.

These are not my theories. Just a list of hypothesis. You just provide a fourth hypothesis: a kind of collusion or agreement between TRT and junta.

Interesting. Albeit audacious.

However, you can't deny that the aim of the junta is to keep the power, more or less behind the scene.

I continue to think that's the weak point of the "everything will be okay" folks. I believe many thai won't be -genuinely- happy with such political trick.

Basically, you think that it's enough to play with words and labels : we keep TRT "envelopp" or apparatus and we put friendly leaders, and everybody won't notice.

Again : possible, but dangerous.

The problem with your way of thinking is to assume that the junta wanna hold on to power. The truth of the matter (which I see) is that they only wanted to get rid of Thaksin and correct the old system. I believe they have a genuine desire to rescue the country. And now they just want to gradually fade away without Thaksin or his people going after them later. That's all. They never have any intention to take over the country for themselves.

The problem with your way of thinking is to assume that the junta wanna hold on to power. The truth of the matter (which I see) is that they only wanted to get rid of Thaksin and correct the old system. I believe they have a genuine desire to rescue the country. And now they just want to gradually fade away without Thaksin or his people going after them later. That's all. They never have any intention to take over the country for themselves.

"Taking over the country for themselves" is the same simplification that has been used against Thaksin. But one of the intentions of the military definitely was to exert greater control over the country along extreme social conservative lines, under pretense of bringing back democracy. The newly revamped ISOC that will stay out of parliamentary scrutiny is proof of that fact.

Given the combined factors of Thai history and how the ISOC during the 70's has ordered horrific human rights violations, and that not all Army Generals are exactly democratically minded, this is indeed a very worrying and entirely unnecessary step by a Junta that pretends to only bring back democracy.

Re-installing and at the same time removing the most powerful mechanism for internal security matters from the public into the hand of the military is undermining democracy worse than Thaksin has ever done.

Sonthi tells Isoc to start preparations for election

Junta chief General Sonthi Boonyaratglin has instructed the Internal Security Operations Command (Isoc) to start preparations for the general election, including the push for a successful referendum on the new constitution.

"Sonthi has hopes the elections will restore political normalcy, boost investor confidence and revitalise the economy," Isoc spokesman Colonel Thanathip Sawangsaeng said Thursday.

Sonthi is concurrently the director of Isoc.

Under Sonthi's instruction, the Isoc will assist in explaining the charter draft to the people so that they can form a judgement before casting votes in the referendum in September, Thanathip said.

Source: The Nation - 08 June 2007

CNS Chairman has never ordered soldiers to track politicians

The Royal Thai Army Commander-in-Chief and Council for National Security (CNS) Chairman, Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratglin, affirms that he has never assigned army officers to stalk politicians, including Thai Rak Thai Party former deputy leader Sudarat Keyuraphan.

Gen. Sonthi reiterates that the military has never taken such action, and he will investigate the rumour's source.

As for the People's Television (PTV) rally on June 9th, Gen.Sonthi says the CNS and the government believe the demonstration will not escalate into violence since public expression must be done under the law.

Gen. Sonthi also says the general election will be organized sooner.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 08 June 2007

no doubt he's telling the truth ,

all he has to do is ask the authorities to keep an eye on the situation , which he has done

the underlings will have understood his request ..............................