2.5M house or 5M condo - wife gets the same cut

15 minutes ago, TheScience said:

The discussion sidetracked a bit here. No idea about the Aussie stock market but US is pretty precarious. Just a few stocks distorting the market.

There's going to be inflation if it's not here already.

I apologise for the sidetrack....it was a question I'd been dying to ask. Regarding the stock market, I've been sitting on the sidelines waiting incase of a correction but the bubble just keeps inflating.        Also, good luck with your purchase, by the sounds of it you have a great lady so I dont think you have to much to worry about. 

Edited by AverageBloke

12 hours ago, AverageBloke said:

Thank you so much for your feedback. I will 100% look into some professional assistance. There would only be myself and my girlfriend and the 80,000 per month would be after 1 built a house and purchased a car. I'm guessing ill have to put aside 5- 10,000 per month for health insurance but after hearing you can do it with 6 mouths to feed  I feel a little more assured that I can make it happen...Happy Xmas

I left Sydney 6 years ago and have paid no tax on shares bought and sold, including no capital gains tax, it's the loophole foreign residents need to survive over here. It serves the government as they want money invested in Australian companies, so it's a win/win.

The only thing to look out for is that when your residency changes from being an Australian resident (for tax purposes) meaning if you reside in Australia, you pay tax in Australia as an Australian resident, but when you move it changes to a non residents or foreign resident (same meaning) for tax purposes.

The capital gains tax you will pay when you sell your property in Australia is like 42% as a non resident so if you keep your principal place of residence (house you live in), the capital gains tax will get calculated from the day you purchased it, i.e. not calculated the day after you left the country, which is the way it was up to 2019, so look out for that one now. 

Also the rent gets taxed at 32c in the $, and you cannot claim anything (negative gearing annually goes out the window) so it's hardly worth holding onto property in Australia unless your going to live between the two countries as an Australia resident for tax purposes, then you will pay tax as an Australian resident and there won't be any capital gains tax to pay.

But wait it gets better, you can longer vote as a non resident and no more Medicare just to stick it to you further for seeing that it's greener on the other side.

1st up, talk to your accountant about you moving overseas and then others regarding investing your money in Australia into something like shares where you don't pay tax on if they are receiving dividends, there are also other investments that you can look into, but be mindful of any potential tax pitfalls.

As this is off the topic, so you can send me a personal message if you want more information, but I cannot provide you with professional advise as it's not my area of expertise, that said, can provide you with a little knowledge, then you can do the rest.

Re building a house, been there, done that and can provide you with a ball park on costs and what to look out for and what not to do, e.g. only invest what your prepared to lose.

Merry Xmas back at yah.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

I would go for the house 100%, I couldn't bear living in a condo, I like to be able to walk out the door and potter around the garden, who needs a gym when you have a garden take care of and bit of DIY, no building services to pay, no rules on what you can do or not (excluding building regs.) A small pool would be good if one can afford it. I paid more for the land as only 10 min drive to a beach and good restaurants supermarkets ect I built a modest house cheaper than the land. Roughly 2m for 1 ria and 1m for the house.

On 12/25/2021 at 2:20 PM, jvs said:

So you are saying the house is 50/50?

As far as i know everything you acquire after you are married is 50/50.

My understanding is the house is 50/50 is purchased after legally registered marriage. It is the land the house is on that we cannot own.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 9:26 AM, soi3eddie said:

It's too late. You are already married. Even if you only have money in the bank she may be entitled to 50% anyway. If you were married in a western country you'd be screwed. In Thailand you may fare better. Condo 100% in your name she may not challenge you for a share. House (can only be her name) you'd almost certainly lose it all or spend fortunes on lawyers trying to recover your half of the value.

Correct...I would have had all this checked out over a decade ago!!! Before attaching the ball and chain to my ankle!!!  T.I.T.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I would go for the house 100%, I couldn't bear living in a condo, I like to be able to walk out the door and potter around the garden, who needs a gym when you have a garden take care of and bit of DIY, no building services to pay, no rules on what you can do or not (excluding building regs.) A small pool would be good if one can afford it. I paid more for the land as only 10 min drive to a beach and good restaurants supermarkets ect I built a modest house cheaper than the land. Roughly 2m for 1 ria and 1m for the house.

Agreed on all points.

2m for a rai is pricey.

One thing I can't get my head around is the ridiculous price of land. Even in these inflated times I can get a decent plot on water in US for 3m. Mid Atlantic down to Florida.

Phuket, Krabi are to me totally inland. Really put off by that. We like Phangnha but coastal land there is just as pricey...huge plots for tens of millions.

15 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:

Correct...I would have had all this checked out over a decade ago!!! Before attaching the ball and chain to my ankle!!!  T.I.T.

Lol. Again, my investments and money can entirely remain in US. Second, my wife has zero interest in what's in US and even less control of it. Finally, this is more for her than for me. I don't see it as an investment per-se but a way to preserve money that would be spent on rent...if it can work. If not, that's ok too AND ok by her.

Most of these comments are often made by men who can't attract mates at home, Thailand and if they did couldn't keep them about.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

, I couldn't bear living in a condo,

The whole covid thing is well. We've done all right living in small spaces for the time being but our place is perhaps only 40% occupied and is quite low rise at six floors.

I love to garden and we both love to swim.

Another huge issue is where to purchase land and build. If we are renting even a house we can always up and move if we're not happy for whatever reason.

• Like 1

Pretty much the same if you write off land and house in your wife's name, compared to a condo in your name, and 50% loss in case of divorce. However, the location might be an important factor to include, can you buy land and build a house for 2.5 million baht at approximately the same location where a condo is sold for 5 million baht..?

On 12/25/2021 at 2:44 PM, TheScience said:

So, even though you sign away all your ownership rights to the home as it's acquired in marriage it is both of your asset - as would be the condo in your name??

That's even more incentive to buy a small home rather than a sky-coffin.

You guys need to  talk to a lawyer preferably one who is versed in Thai law but not Thai (as Thai might side with your wife) Even though you sign papers giving up rights too land /home  a diviorce court trumps land law and can devide any property acquired after the marriage. A usufruct can protect you as long as marriage is intact or in the case of spouse death but a court can overrule any usufruct or prenup if they decide that they are blatantly unfair to the other party or illegal. You should keep a record of where the money came from when buying property, car, house land.  Even though a court could rule that you are required 50% of the value of the property if you bought it in Nachon Nowhere  surounded by her families properties you might find that it would be immpossible to sell if things went bad.

https://www.thelawsuperstore.co.uk/family/help-and-advice/what-happens-to-a-house-in-a-divorce

https://www.thaicontracts.com/ask/23-family-law-contracts/26-who-gets-what-in-a-thai-divorce.html

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

can you buy land and build a house for 2.5 million baht at approximately the same location where a condo is sold for 5 million baht..?

probably not - just the cost of demolition will kill you... and probably <deleted> off some people in the middle of the night. 

On 12/25/2021 at 5:57 PM, TheScience said:

Well, she'd not touch the cash in my accounts because that would be gone in a flash.

A condo in my name, she'd get half.

Imagine I'd lose on the house unless I lawyered up.

Anyway, I love her very much. She's a total even keel. Never done anything remotely sketchy with my money, asked for stupid money for parents or taken so much as a satang.

I want this for her more than me. Little if any financial appreciation but in the long run we're not causing money down a toilet for rent.

*Although as a lifelong renter I know all the merits... especially in Thailand.

Buy a house in her name, and immediately have it leased to you for 30 years.   That gives you security of occupation, plus should anything happen to your wife (you both need to make sure your wills are up to date) you would have one year to sell the house after her demise.   Likewise, the lease is void when you go.

• Like 1