First time to Thailand

Craigie22

By the end of February, the weather will be hot. In Phuket, you can enjoy a ton of beaches.

If you are in Phuket City, you can get a tour and see some of the islands temples, and other attractions, like Promthep Cape,                                                                    and a viewpoint view of Kata, Karon and Patong Beaches. With all the rain that Phuket and the south have had, you should be able

to see all the greenery and enjoy the tropical experience. If you want to see some famous temples and museums

then visit Bangkok and there is lots of both to visit and enjoy in the hot heat.  In the Hua Hin area there is the Big Buddha statue, 

the statues of the Past Kings of Thailand, and other natural attractions like caves.  What ever you do try to enjoy yourself and

do not wear unnecessary expensive jewelry.  Be cautious.

Phuket is a tourist nightmare. Bangkok has everything a tourist should see. Temples and nightlife. To get a birdseye view of Thailand go to SiamNiramit. Great show and gives you an idea about Thai culture. A short visit to Pataya to enjoy the bar scene if you want a bit a action but Bangkok definitely has the best options for a first time visitor. Cheers, Sercoed

• Sad 1

I'm getting the impression for a first time visit is to stay in Bangkok and do a few day trips ?. Would you book the hotel for length of stay or book it day by day in case I decide to go somewhere else ?. I'm presuming all that is needed is a pcr test to enter Bangkok ?

Follow the advice of many here OP, stay in BKK, also stay in the tourist areas of Phuket and Pattaya and see very little of what many expats here think that Thailand is about. Its a very personal thing and you will only know how you feel about it , when you personally, have sampled it all. Personally, I am not a city person and I particularly dislike Bangkok and indeed Phuket, but you will only know once you try them yourself. Asking opinions on this subject on here ( or arguably on any other subject),  is like asking if you should try curry or not, you will get no useful opinion or information by asking and so will be none the wiser. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Tom said:

Follow the advice of many here OP, stay in BKK, also stay in the tourist areas of Phuket and Pattaya and see very little of what many expats here think that Thailand is about. Its a very personal thing and you will only know how you feel about it , when you personally, have sampled it all. Personally, I am not a city person and I particularly dislike Bangkok and indeed Phuket, but you will only know once you try them yourself. Asking opinions on this subject on here ( or arguably on any other subject),  is like asking if you should try curry or not, you will get no useful opinion or information by asking and so will be none the wiser. 

Disagree, most single men arrive here for the cheap sex.

Anything else they find to like about the place is a bonus.

PS. I also disliked Bangkok, but Pattaya, Hua Hin and Chiang Mai were great.

Edited by BritManToo

2 hours ago, Craigie22 said:

I'm getting the impression for a first time visit is to stay in Bangkok and do a few day trips ?. Would you book the hotel for length of stay or book it day by day in case I decide to go somewhere else ?. I'm presuming all that is needed is a pcr test to enter Bangkok ?

No need to book anything in advance, Thailand hotels are 90% empty everywhere.

On 12/28/2021 at 1:46 PM, Craigie22 said:

Yes, I recommend staying in Bangkok for about 1 week to 10 days. Do a few day tours, around the city, maybe get one for elephant riding through the jungle, etc. Do some research on tourist sights in Bangkok. Then make a trip down to Pattaya. Stay there and if you get bored, return to Bangkok, take a train up Chiang Mai.  Many guys fall in love with amazing Thailand, and don't want to return to their home country.

Craigie, as things stand you would need to quarantine in a hotel (aka Prison) for 7 days on arrival in Thailand, unless you go to Phuket-Sandbox, where you can travel the island freely and after 7 days you can go anywhere in Thailand (CovTest depending) If you only have 14 days hol Phuket is best option. If you have much longer hols and like prison food; see above recommendations

A bunch of my (first-timers) mates from UK are gagging to come in Feb22 but I have talked them out of it - too many uncertainties. "The sweetie shop and beaches will still be there later next year" I told them. Save more dosh, you'll need it as a first timer lol. Study the Thai seasons/weather if you want to 'go walking' it's not Blighty