British man's visit to wife in Buriram turns into Covid Christmas Nightmare

webfact

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

This story would not be newsworthy if this had been a Thai person who was infected and had traveled to their village to visit family.

Well, I think the point was that he had been fully vetted and vaccinated before entering the country. Random Thai people going home would not be.

Another takeaway is the idea mentioned early in this thread that instead of bringing infection TO the market he may have brought it home FROM the market. I know, heresy.

In the end it makes little difference. Every country on the planet will continue to be infected eventually with every Tom/Dick/Harry mutation that the unvaccinated herd cooks up for all of us to enjoy.

Either survivors will finally develop immunity to this virus or it will be largely suppressed by pharmaceutical magic over the next several years.

Nothing is for sure except that this thing will go on for the next year or more.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Is that still the case?

I heard that the airlines do require tests and would like to know if this special exemption from testing is still in place on any airlines, especially Thai.

For test and go they upped it to everyone needs PCR tested. now for some reason it seems they went back to the old rules for Thai's. Airlines at first followed the arrival countries rules but now not sure as it stated only foreign arrivals needed PCR tests.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Big Bert said:

For test and go they upped it to everyone needs PCR tested. now for some reason it seems they went back to the old rules for Thai's. Airlines at first followed the arrival countries rules but now not sure as it stated only foreign arrivals needed PCR tests.

Well in that case there's no mystery where any infections are coming from - they're all catching it on the plane.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

He could have simply gotten infected on a plane, which could have had infected transit passengers so they'd not know the source. As it would have been very early, the infection would not have picked up on initial test, but only a few days later when the viruses had an opportunity to multiply to the detectable levels.

With Omicron being 70x more infectious than Delta (I read this number in the news, but a bit skeptical), it should not take much for someone to get it in any closed space. As US health authorities estimate half the Earth's population would catch Omicron over the next 3 months, getting into a pressurised tube with hundreds of strangers for a day, masks off during eating and drinking, is pretty much a sure bet to catch it.

Now all that said - Omicron is staying in the upper respiratory system and does not move down to lungs. The whole reason why COVID became global emergency was because it moved to lungs, and caused deadly pneumonia. Now if Omicron doesn't move to lungs - how is it any different from a common cold, which is just like COVID, just it doesn't move to lungs?

Some years ago an old Scottish friend came down with meningitis just over a week after he arrived in Bangkok, almost died. I suspected that he caught it on the 12 hour flight over, planes are like flying petri-dishes.

43 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

will continue to be infected eventually with every Tom/Dick/Harry mutation that the unvaccinated herd cooks up for all of us to enjoy.

And another bar stool expert not knowing what he's babbling about. But at least he found a scapegoat.

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

Well, I think the point was that he had been fully vetted and vaccinated before entering the country. Random Thai people going home would not be.

Another takeaway is the idea mentioned early in this thread that instead of bringing infection TO the market he may have brought it home FROM the market. I know, heresy.

In the end it makes little difference. Every country on the planet will continue to be infected eventually with every Tom/Dick/Harry mutation that the unvaccinated herd cooks up for all of us to enjoy.

Either survivors will finally develop immunity to this virus or it will be largely suppressed by pharmaceutical magic over the next several years.

Nothing is for sure except that this thing will go on for the next year or more.

"I know, heresy."

Ithink you mean "hearsay"! But I agree with what you say - if the incubation period is only 3 days there is a strong possibility that he caught it at the market, and unknowingly took it home with him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cape said:

So weird, "to visit his wife". Most people live with their wives. 

Then we read the police in Thailan admit there are pockets of prostitution in the country and there will be visits...

Not weird at all! There are a lot of "farangs" married to Thai ladies, and have to leave the country to work.

And to follow that statement up with the "insinuation" that his wife is a prostitute, I find your post thoroughly distateful, and will be "blocking" you from further posts, so that I do not have to read your rubbish!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It would appear you are accusing the chappy’s wife of being a prostitute....  Projecting from your own experiences or is it a general accusation you throw at other foreigners wives ?

Many people work overseas and return to Thailand when they can. 

Others work overseas on rotation returning to Thailand each time. 

There are many guys who may not live with their wife all the time, but there is one sort of guy who’d accuse a woman of being a hooker on such limited information... ????????‍????

To be fair, these foreign workers go home, they don't 'visit' their wives. 

9 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

He could have simply gotten infected on a plane, which could have had infected transit passengers so they'd not know the source.

Totally agree with this. Airplanes are very confined spaces with many people crowded together breathing in a confined space together for many many hours.

Perfect environment for transmission yet not getting much comment on the news.

1 hour ago, Rocking Robert said:

I wonder what country is going to be the first to announce that this is all BS and that it’s nothing but the flu so deal with it

I believe the president of Brazil took that route….but not the countries doctors. And Belorus is pretty much in that space also.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I don't think high fever is a symptom of Omincron so probably not Omicron. 

Apparently in about 50% it can be:

Researchers in Norway recently reported similar findings from an omicron outbreak among fully vaccinated guests of a Christmas party. In 87 confirmed or probable cases, the most common symptoms were cough, runny or stuffy nose, fatigue, sore throat, and headache. Just over half reported a fever, while 23 percent experienced a loss of taste and 12 had a decline in smell.

https://www.vox.com/22851808/omicron-symptoms-covid-19-vaccine-mild-variant

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I don't think high fever is a symptom of Omincron so probably not Omicron. 

Symptoms

The most important symptoms of COVID-19 are recent onset of any of the following:

• a new continuous cough
  • a high temperature
  • a loss of, or change in, your normal sense of taste or smell (anosmia)

So the official guidance in UK doesn't treat Omicron differently from other variants. 

I'm not sure when "high temperature" translates to "fever" - are you?

Edited by VBF

11 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

He could have simply gotten infected on a plane, which could have had infected transit passengers so they'd not know the source. As it would have been very early, the infection would not have picked up on initial test, but only a few days later when the viruses had an opportunity to multiply to the detectable levels.

With Omicron being 70x more infectious than Delta (I read this number in the news, but a bit skeptical), it should not take much for someone to get it in any closed space. As US health authorities estimate half the Earth's population would catch Omicron over the next 3 months, getting into a pressurised tube with hundreds of strangers for a day, masks off during eating and drinking, is pretty much a sure bet to catch it.

Now all that said - Omicron is staying in the upper respiratory system and does not move down to lungs. The whole reason why COVID became global emergency was because it moved to lungs, and caused deadly pneumonia. Now if Omicron doesn't move to lungs - how is it any different from a common cold, which is just like COVID, just it doesn't move to lungs?

Interesting last paragraph - could you support it with a link to a reputable source please.