Israeli Who Escaped Quarantine Will be Charged and Deported

snoop1130

20 hours ago, ukrules said:

Of course not, he's been found guilty and already sentenced in the media. Why bother with evidence.

I can't wait to hear his side of what actually happened as soon as he gets back home.

If he really did escape the hotel knowing what he was doing, and there was no mistake in any way, he deserves to get deported, and you won't hear anymore from him when he gets home.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

If he really did escape the hotel knowing what he was doing, and there was no mistake in any way, he deserves to get deported, and you won't hear anymore from him when he gets home.

In any case even if he has a good defense this could really hurt his career so it would be normal to just shut up about it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

And this.... 

Gotta love the punishments on that Phuket Hotel "catch and release"...

Punishments to be announced shortly for SHA+ places breaking the rules are:

1st offence - can't accept tourists for one day.

2nd offence - banned from accepting tourists for a week.

3rd offence - SHA+ privileges removed.

Let loose the angry crowd on these law-breakers. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not really...   understanding or suspecting that this could be a mistake in communication and perhaps a face saving exercise is not a ‘Thai bash’ but a realistic possibility. 

I have quarantined in Thailand in ASQ (Twice) in Sandbox (once) and Test & Go (once). 

In each of those intervals of quarantine there have been examples of miss-communication and the staff not understanding the protocol / procedures, at the Embassy level and the hotel level.

Maybe this guy was arrogant and didn’t think the rules applied to him, or maybe he was told he could leave by the hotel staff who made a mistake - its not a Thai bash to understand the latter is a possibility.

He left without his passport - in all conscience, would you have done that? 

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Then perhaps you should also direct your disdain towards the hotels who have also been allowing guests to leave before receiving their PCR results. 

i replied to the post about this guy not the system...we all know it plays a part 

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Seriously?

yes or you agree with idiots putting others lives at risk . I don't agree with all the rules here  but i live here i abide by them its people like this guy thats gets many of us painted with the same brush..when in Rome 

• Like 1

I noticed a lot of bitter ex-pats acting like somehow,  this guy is the victim. Lot’s of snarky Thailand comments. Question? What are you doing here? Thailand not your liking? Return to where clearly you think all is right and fair and without consequences. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SteveAZ said:

I noticed a lot of bitter ex-pats acting like somehow,  this guy is the victim. Lot’s of snarky Thailand comments. Question? What are you doing here? Thailand not your liking? Return to where clearly you think all is right and fair and without consequences. 

You should just say, “If you don’t like it, leave”. More economical.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I see it as a perfectly realistic possibility that after remaining in Test & Go quarantine for more than 24 hours he called up reception and asked if he was free to leave. Reception saw that he’d checked in the day before and simply told him he was free to go..... 

Unlikely scenario as reported by the Times of Israel

He traveled by taxi to the city of Pattaya, where CCTV footage showed him trying to check in at a hotel but being rejected because he refused to show his passport. On Saturday, he called the Bangkok hotel and said he was visiting a friend at a hospital and would return later that day, which didn’t happen.

Baruch then reportedly turned off his phone on Saturday night and traveled back to Bangkok and then to the southern island of Koh Samui.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-faces-thailand-jail-time-after-leaving-quarantine-evading-police-for-5-days/

If he left the Bangkok Hotel with the hotel aproval why would he

1) Refused to show his passport when attempting to check into a Pattaya hotel

2) Why would he phone the Bangkok hotel and advised them he was visiting a friend in a hospital in near Soi Phetchaburi 47 Bangkok and he would return to the Bangkok hotel later in the day

3) I think its virtually impossible for a farang to rent a vehicle without producing a passport

4) He must have been unlucky when selecting vehicle of choice as it didn't come with any usb ports for charging his phone hence he was unable to charge phone if battery had run dry or could be he simply turned the phone off

9 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

Three negative test and it was just a total misunderstanding or maybe the thia testing is Not very trustworthy TIT

The results of the testing are irrelevant, it is the fact that he left the hotel before he was cleared to do so. If you think Thailand is harsh try Australia or Saudi Arabia.

He should have waited, full stop and deserves whatever comes his way.

• Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Then perhaps you should also direct your disdain towards the hotels who have also been allowing guests to leave before receiving their PCR results. 

i replied to the post about this guy not the system...we all know it plays a part 

The two come hand in hand and can’t be separated IF it turns out the hotel told the guy he could leave as other hotels have been doing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retayl said:

He left without his passport - in all conscience, would you have done that? 

I've not read any reports which mentioned that he left his Passport at the Test & Go hotel. 

I have read comments on this forum that have assumed that because it was reported that he did not have his passport with him when attempting to check in at a Pattaya hotel. 

This last part [tried to check-in without his passport] may be poor reporting, it could be that he didn’t want to stay at a hotel which wanted to ‘hold on’ to his passport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retayl said:
1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

He didn't leave without his passport.

He was reported to have been refused a room at a Pattaya hotel because he didn’t have his passport? 

Reporting in Thailand is not known for its accuracy.....   

Was it that he ‘didn’t have his passport with him’ ??? or was it that the hotel in Pattaya wanted to hold on to his passport over-night and he refused that ?

OR... is any of the ‘Passport’ report even true at all ??? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:
1 hour ago, retayl said:

He was reported to have been refused a room at a Pattaya hotel because he didn’t have his passport? 

Not credible. Lost in translation. The original account said he lacked the necessary health clearance document. That is credible.

Why would a hotel in Pattaya ask for that ???

I’ve been in 3 different hotels in the past 10 days....   non asked for a health clearance document.

Does such a document even exist ???

When checking out of Test & Go (in Nov) we were issued PCR test result certificates but not any ‘health clearance document’ unless they are considered one in the same. 

47 minutes ago, NobbyClarke said:

What a Baffoon. Anyone with any sense would wait 1 night.

He did wait 1 night...  He was in his Test & Go hotel for more than 24 hrs and left at 2pm the following day (as reported in the Bangkok Post - we can’t link to that here but it can be googled).

He has not been arrested for no reason.

Could he have been arrested because after the hotel informed him (wrongly) that he was free to leave (as others hotels have been doing), the staff then back-peddled after being informed his PCR was positive and realised they had to lie to the Police and inform them that he’d ‘escaped’ quarantine rather than owning up that they’d let him go. 

The media response and the response of the police is based solely on the words of the hotel that he had ‘escaped quarantine’.... 

How many will he infect in IDC?

None - He has tested negative for covid 5x 

It would appear the first test was a false positive. 

I suspect the story that a sample had been send to Bangkok and tested positive for Omicron is a fabrication.

People, unfortunately, do not think of others.

Agreed...    in many places. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SteveAZ said:

Is this one of those ‘if you don’t like it here go home’ posts ????

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’ve been in 3 different hotels in the past 10 days....   non asked for a health clearance document.

When checking out of Test & Go (in Nov) we were issued PCR test result certificates but not any ‘health clearance document’ unless they are considered one in the same. 

Yes.

36 minutes ago, vinny41 said:
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I see it as a perfectly realistic possibility that after remaining in Test & Go quarantine for more than 24 hours he called up reception and asked if he was free to leave. Reception saw that he’d checked in the day before and simply told him he was free to go..... 

Unlikely scenario as reported by the Times of Israel

He traveled by taxi to the city of Pattaya, where CCTV footage showed him trying to check in at a hotel but being rejected because he refused to show his passport. On Saturday, he called the Bangkok hotel and said he was visiting a friend at a hospital and would return later that day, which didn’t happen.

Baruch then reportedly turned off his phone on Saturday night and traveled back to Bangkok and then to the southern island of Koh Samui.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-faces-thailand-jail-time-after-leaving-quarantine-evading-police-for-5-days/

Has the times of Israel found their own sources or have they copied / translated the Thai Press (as many media outlets do these days). 

I want to point out that I am not ‘defending the guy’.... I am identifying other possibilities in the story. 

IF Baruch escaped his Test & Go hotel then he clearly deserves his comeuppance. 

I’d like to address your points with other possibilities. 

39 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

If he left the Bangkok Hotel with the hotel aproval why would he

1) Refused to show his passport when attempting to check into a Pattaya hotel

Where is the CCTV footage of this - usually whenever there is CCTV footage of any event in Thailand its released very quickly.

Could it be that there is some mistranslation here ???  Refused to ’show’ or did not permit the hotel to hold on to his passport over night ? 

2) Why would he phone the Bangkok hotel and advised them he was visiting a friend in a hospital in near Soi Phetchaburi 47 Bangkok and he would return to the Bangkok hotel later in the day

Agreed... this is very strange. The times of Israel is the only place which has this comment - its just very odd.

OR... is this actually so....  Did he visit his friend in hospital and then decide to stay that night in the same hotel so called the hotel back to request that he stay a second night (after already initially staying the 24 hour period).

3) I think its virtually impossible for a farang to rent a vehicle without producing a passport

Where did he rent a vehicle ?

4) He must have been unlucky when selecting vehicle of choice as it didn't come with any usb ports for charging his phone hence he was unable to charge phone if battery had run dry or could be he simply turned the phone off

Again... where does it say he rented ?? - I just assumed he travelled to Pattaya via Taxi or Bus. 

His phone may not have actually been turned off as reported....  It is quite realistic (IMO) that he turned his phone to flight mode to avoid roaming charges and only used his WIFI connection. 

--------

I could be completely wrong of course... All of this thread (and the others on this subject) is interesting to me because it highlights how the optics vary depending on what we read, how we interpret information and how critically we evaluate the information put in front of us. 

This story could be exactly as reported.... OR...  this could be a complete stuff-up by the hotel and the Israeli has been thrown under the bus to save face. 

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:
29 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes.

????

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Where is the CCTV footage of this - usually whenever there is CCTV footage of any event in Thailand its released very quickly.

That's what I'd like to know, I suspect the cameras were 'being serviced' at the time.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No don't agree. But one year in prison for this is insane.

who knows how many people he has infected perhaps 0 perhaps 50..if people think they can just do it and get away with it ..what is that saying ..he did wrong..pay your money take your chance ..ok thanks for the comments  have a good new year

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Has the times of Israel found their own sources or have they copied / translated the Thai Press (as many media outlets do these days). 

I want to point out that I am not ‘defending the guy’.... I am identifying other possibilities in the story. 

IF Baruch escaped his Test & Go hotel then he clearly deserves his comeuppance. 

I’d like to address your points with other possibilities. 

Could it be that there is some mistranslation here ???  Refused to ’show’ or did not permit the hotel to hold on to his passport over night ? 

Agreed... this is very strange. The times of Israel is the only place which has this comment - its just very odd.

OR... is this actually so....  Did he visit his friend in hospital and then decide to stay that night in the same hotel so called the hotel back to request that he stay a second night (after already initially staying the 24 hour period).

Where did he rent a vehicle ?

Again... where does it say he rented ?? - I just assumed he travelled to Pattaya via Taxi or Bus. 

His phone may not have actually been turned off as reported....  It is quite realistic (IMO) that he turned his phone to flight mode to avoid roaming charges and only used his WIFI connection. 

--------

I could be completely wrong of course... All of this thread (and the others on this subject) is interesting to me because it highlights how the optics vary depending on what we read, how we interpret information and how critically we evaluate the information put in front of us. 

This story could be exactly as reported.... OR...  this could be a complete stuff-up by the hotel and the Israeli has been thrown under the bus to save face. 

There are many reports of the Thai Police reviewing the CCTV footage of the Bangkok Hotels, We must assume that they didn't release the footage becuase it had no added value i.e  if someone was wearing a baseball cap sunglasses and a full face mask unlikely anyone could identify him in the street

There are many detailed articles that state  he

had hailed a taxi from a hotel in Sukhumvit to a hotel in Pattaya

Upon reaching hotel in Pattaya, it appears that travel documents and covid test documents must be presented. Respondent refused to show travel documents. 

We must assume he was unwilling to show passport as that would expose that he recently arrived in Thailand and the Hotel would question why he didn't have the results of his  RT-PCR from his stay and go hotel.

reports state that he rented a  black Toyota Alphard van which police caught on CCTV in Chumphon

Once the Police were monitoring Road Camera CCTV is was only a matter of time until they located the van at  Nathon beach , Koh Samui, and then visit all the tourist locations nearby

Unable to provide a link as forum rules state English language only