Only 250,000 international travelers arrived in December reports Government

ASEAN NOW News

Why am i not trusting those figures huh? the Thai government is know to be a big embellisher on all kind of figures just to look good and make a point and maybe because i'm thinking that no sane traveler would want to come to a country that strict with its covid rules, quarantine, and no nightlife to speak of where there are closer and better places to go, but what do i know

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Henryford said:

How many of those were just transits, people going on to less restricted countries.

Less restricted countries ??name a few south east Aisan countries with less restrictions ,I'd love to know incase I want a little holiday. Thanks. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Soon even this small party will come to an end. Pretty grim news from US today.

500k and moving upwards there  but the majority if cases are minor cold symptoms. Hospitals in the US have always been busy even preparing covid. Nursing staff shortages are hitting hard now.  

15 minutes ago, Enzian said:

I guess I was hallucinating when I wandered around Sukhumvit last night.

Likewise. Just came back from four days in Kanchanaburi town, other than everyone wearing masks and fewer customers it was close to business as usual. Had a fantastic time ????

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, WHansen said:

Likewise. Just came back from four days in Kanchanaburi town, other than everyone wearing masks and fewer customers it was close to business as usual. Had a fantastic time ????

That’s when reality hits the whiners. Folks it’s NY eve. Let’s have some cheers less jeers. Happy new year ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

How many of those were just transits, people going on to less restricted countries.

Are you allowed to transit through BKK?

I think most flights that stop and continue to another location the passengers are not allowed off the plane?

Plus transit passengers are not considered as arrivals.

57 minutes ago, WHansen said:

Great place to spend a few days for sure, lots to do.

Long may it continue but i'd suspect in the next month or so ( if not sooner ) places will start to shut down.

10 minutes ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

Unless my Chinese calculator is wrong,  adding  up the  numbers given here comes to  109,801  arrivals..... What was the nationality of the missing  141,194   from the total of   251,00   quoted, or is  Tourism Thailand using an even  older  Chinese calculator??

Ya beat me to it.  So the top 10 countries were less than 43.82% of arrivals, who else?  If you take the roughly 90 (if that) other countries able to get in, that comes up with abut 1,500 per country.

• Like 2

I guess I am the only who wonders where they hide all of those 250,000 tourists then.

Sure there has been a bit of an uptick and you do see a tourist left and right but 250K sounds like a lot, even if spread around the country. I guess they claim 2.5x real digits.

Or it might be that the majority only stays 7-10 days a trip now, did came across quite a few who said so and came from middle eastern countries and the like.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

30 minutes ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

Unless my Chinese calculator is wrong,  adding  up the  numbers given here comes to  109,801  arrivals..... What was the nationality of the missing  141,194   from the total of   251,00   quoted, or is  Tourism Thailand using an even  older  Chinese calculator??

And as a Brucie Bonus sent home with Covid and a 2 week quarantine.

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Why am i not trusting those figures huh? the Thai government is know to be a big embellisher on all kind of figures just to look good and make a point and maybe because i'm thinking that no sane traveler would want to come to a country that strict with its covid rules, quarantine, and no nightlife to speak of where there are closer and better places to go, but what do i know

Seems to be the only show in town.

Tried Bali - no dice.

Sunshine, nice pools, plenty of places open. Pleasant beach trips.

The STV was straightforward and approved within 3 days. Similarly the Thailand Pass was simple and approved in a day. Test n Go, slick and easy (apart from the food where I stayed.)

Off to the south with Thai friends next week. 

I usually live on Bali for winters but lived in Thailand a lot before that. Grateful that Thailand made these sunny winter months possible. 

Most of the germans where thai nationals married to germans, a mate of mine his wife and daughter both thai nationals traveled to punket he did not go.

Thia's are considered as foreigners when the marry/live ouside its less accepted than in the normal world.

lots of Thai's live in Germany as we know very well

Am sure any lowly airport worker would know the %

Edited by tomyami
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, ChC1 said:

The news said it is 251,000 international arrivals, not 251,000 foreign arrivals. (for those do not comprehend, the first term is all arrivals to the country, the second term is foreigners arrived to the country).

So the question is, among the 251,000 arrivals, how many Thai national? Top 10 countries contributed 109,801 arrivals. Considering lower number from outside top 10, possible another 20k to 40k in total. There is a good chance that Thai national could count for 50% or 75% of the total arrivals, depends on how many Thais holding foreign passports.

Very good work TAT. That surely will give Thai economy confidence (of destruction).

Transit passengers count as well

• Like 1