Cataract Exam - Queen Sirikit Hospital - The Good, the Bad, any other suggestions on places to go.

Longwood50

Isaan is better....or at least, cheaper !

Teerawat Hospital, Kalasin.    Tel.  04381 1757,  mobile 0638 728143

I had my cataract op on Christmas Day !. I went for a consultation but instead they kept me and carried out the op. 

A bit confusing; best to have a Thai speaker with you. The doctor himself speaks fluent English.

THB 25,000

including an overnight stay for myself and my wife and a lunch and dinner box; bring your own if you want decent food.

Yesterday my first post-op check-up...all OK, included in the fee.

Consultation and op Saturdays only; call for an appointment (Thai speaker !).

Good Luck !

11 minutes ago, kalasiner said:

Isaan is better....or at least, cheaper !

Teerawat Hospital, Kalasin.    Tel.  04381 1757,  mobile 0638 728143

I had my cataract op on Christmas Day !. I went for a consultation but instead they kept me and carried out the op. 

A bit confusing; best to have a Thai speaker with you. The doctor himself speaks fluent English.

THB 25,000

including an overnight stay for myself and my wife and a lunch and dinner box; bring your own if you want decent food.

Yesterday my first post-op check-up...all OK, included in the fee.

Consultation and op Saturdays only; call for an appointment (Thai speaker !).

Good Luck !

As you mention this was immediate wonder if they performed measurements on your eyes to determine lens required.  Normally this is a separate computer laser or ultrasound procedure in my understanding and what I received.

20 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

As you mention this was immediate wonder if they performed measurements on your eyes to determine lens required.  Normally this is a separate computer laser or ultrasound procedure in my understanding and what I received.

No idea !

I guess they have a choice of lenses......big or small, depending on the size of your eye !

What is important for me is that my eyesight has improved greatly.

1 hour ago, kalasiner said:

No idea !

I guess they have a choice of lenses......big or small, depending on the size of your eye !

What is important for me is that my eyesight has improved greatly.

This is normally a test made before operation to insure the right lens is used and was a separate room/computer before operation in my case so not hard to forget:

The surgeon uses a computer program to determine the appropriate IOL power in advance of the surgery. The calculations are based upon those dimensions of the eyeball, which determine the unique optical properties of that individual eye. These painless measurements are taken preoperatively. The most important are 1) the amount of corneal curvature, which correlates with the cornea’s optical power and 2) the distance from the cornea to the retina. Since this distance cannot be determined with a ruler, ultrasound (medical sonar) or similar technology is used to measure this distance in tenths of millimeter accuracy.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, doctormann said:

The promotion is still running.  I went to Jomtien Hospital last Friday, 07 Jan, and the cost for single lens replacement was quoted at 39,000 Baht per eye - and I have this in writing.  I fully expect there to be additional charges for medication or whatever.

The eye examination was free but I felt was not particularly thorough - no check for glaucoma, for instance

I also went to Jomtien last week but went on Thursday.  There were two doctors I saw that made appointments.  The doctor on Thursday is Dr. Santa Methasiri.  I checked before making the appointment and this man's education and training were excellent. That is why I chose to go on Thursday. 

Now though the examination was not as extensive as what I got at Queen Sirikit, I was there mostly to ask about what lens he recommended and if there was any reason not to do the surgery. 

He said exactly the same thing as 4 other ophthalmologists have told me.   Stay away from multi focal IOL lenses.  They all say it is difficult to get the power of the lens correctly and if the fitting is not perfect that because the lens has several focal points that the vision might actually be worse than before the surgery.  Also, that light refraction at night can often by worse because of the different focal points. 

For me, he said simple single vision lenses or single vision lens with Toric correction for astigmatism was the best route.  He said to go with clear lens rather than yellow for clearer vision and better color vision.  

Overall, I was very pleased with my visit.  I am scheduled on Tuesday to go to Bangkok Hospital Pattaya to get the machine reading to determine if I do or do not need Toric lens and to calculate the power of correction for the surgery.  I am scheduled for the 20th at Jomtien for the surgery.  

39,000 baht for single vision lens, 56,000 baht for single vision/Toric lens.  So I will know Tuesday which of these I need. 

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

This is normally a test made before operation to insure the right lens is used and was a separate room/computer before operation in my case so not hard to forget:

I was checked twice at a machine, about a minute each time; maybe to make a photo/digital image of the eye ?

The third machine check took longer, about 3 minutes, and red vertical lines continually crossed from left to right. From your description, I suspect this was the ultrasound eye measuring.

Thanks for your interest and be assured that "hi-tec" has reached even Kalasin !

I have been going to Q Sirakit now for about 5 yrs,every 6 months ,for my cataract and also to check the pressure in my eyes as it was a bit high and can lead to gloucoma ,luckily with drops it is always normal,spoke to the doc a few months ago regarding a cataract operation , was told that i must get a letter from my heart doc at Chonburi govt hospital to say i can stop one of my meds for 5 days,this i have and was told that when i go back an operation on one eye ,the one with a cataract will be done within a month or so 22k .

As i said i have been with them for years  and have a pink card ,very good hospital.