Why Thais Use Washing Machines, But Not Dryers

I always wonder why Thais only use washers to wash clothes, but don't use dryers. With the humid climate, the clothes takes a long time to dry, even in hanging on the balcony. It is also strange to hang your underwear outside.

I always wonder why Thais only use washers to wash clothes, but don't use dryers. With the humid climate, the clothes takes a long time to dry, even in hanging on the balcony. It is also strange to hang your underwear outside.

Scott123,

Saving electricity.....habits.....feel cleaner with sunlight.....fresher smell when compared with dryer.....try it and you might like it.

Cheers!!!

on a sunny day things dry in less than a half hour, sometimes 10 mins... and it smells cleaner... and it's better for your clothes... but i still use a dryer... it's the american in me....

I think Thais use washers because it saves alot of work....washing clothes by hand is hard work and time consuming.

I think Thias don't use dryers because drying clothes is not alot of work. Hanging clothes out to dry and then taking them in after they dry is not hard work and really only takes a few minutes.

My feelings is due to financial reasons. A 'Thai style' washing machine is about 4,000B. A proper washing machine and dryer such as one may be used to in their home country, probably 20-30 thousand + baht each.

Do the math:

30-40 minutes in the dryer + spike in your electric bill.

10-15 minutes in the Thai sun. No loss of non-renewable resources.

Eco-friendly.

Actually, the Thais don't use dryers because Thailand signed the Kyoto Protocol way back in 1999. :o

My feelings is due to financial reasons. A 'Thai style' washing machine is about 4,000B. A proper washing machine and dryer such as one may be used to in their home country, probably 20-30 thousand + baht each.

I was using them in Oz because there is a ban on hanging clothes on the balconies and I was living in an apartment. One before, had a common drying area on the roof but leaving things there makes any outing uncomfortable with a sight of approaching clouds.

A combined washer/dryer would be 40K baht minimum and requires half the washed load to be unloaded, so, 2x1 hour separate drying runs. The dryer, as a standalone wall mounted unit, was only 150A$ (4100B) and I always used it, had to.

Air dried clothes - nice smell, less wear and tear on the clothes, no cost for extra equipment and electricity - what else one needs to forget tumble dryers in tropical climate?

Edited by think_too_mut

There are some pretty funky little dryer things for hanging undies and small stuff (but i load the poor thing up with all sorts as it takes little time and room). A sorta rotary dryer with tons of little pegs on the bottom and hangs from one hook. Gen plastic, and v cheap. Other stuff i just hang from coat hangers off the air con vent on my balcony. There is a no clothes rule here, but from where i am and the position its hung, you cant see it, in any case I notice most hang stuff out anyway.

Ditch the idea of a dryer. Air drying rules on the economy, wallet, and smell. Much better all round! :o

A word of Caution on Clothes racks. I 100% agree in the many reasons to use a clothes rack to dry your clothes in Thailand. In a village it would be a home made device, PVC, wood branch, electric cable or perhaps some pipes.

In a City or Town many retailers sell "painted steel" or PVC clothes racks. 500 to 800 baht with wheels. The problem is after a few months the paint will come off on your clothes, towels and sheets. A much better solution in my opinion is the SANKI "Aluminum" Clothes Rack. I've seen three sizes at Home Pro, one size at some independent furniture stores, but the lowest price on the medium size model in a box at Makro. There was no display model at the Surin Makro, but the product was much lower in price than the other stores. It was easy to put together, NEVER ruins clothes and is light in weight, but sturdy when your wife is moving it during a sudden thundershower. There might be other brands of ALUMINUM clothes racks available in Thailand, this is the only brand that I have seen.

Kamala Bob

Has anyone seen one for sale here ?,. i reckon it would be a bit like a chocolate fireguard.not a good seller :o

A word of Caution on Clothes racks. I 100% agree in the many reasons to use a clothes rack to dry your clothes in Thailand. In a village it would be a home made device, PVC, wood branch, electric cable or perhaps some pipes.

In a City or Town many retailers sell "painted steel" or PVC clothes racks. 500 to 800 baht with wheels. The problem is after a few months the paint will come off on your clothes, towels and sheets. A much better solution in my opinion is the SANKI "Aluminum" Clothes Rack. I've seen three sizes at Home Pro, one size at some independent furniture stores, but the lowest price on the medium size model in a box at Makro. There was no display model at the Surin Makro, but the product was much lower in price than the other stores. It was easy to put together, NEVER ruins clothes and is light in weight, but sturdy when your wife is moving it during a sudden thundershower. There might be other brands of ALUMINUM clothes racks available in Thailand, this is the only brand that I have seen.

Kamala Bob

They also sell it at Carrefour on Rama IV in Bangkok. I bought the large model and really like it It is exactly as you describe. And easy to dry king sized sheets on!

Larger Home Pro's (such as Fashion Island) have several models of clothes dryers including full size American types a as well the European combination spin dry types.

Wouldn't seem like much of a market as the the families that could afford one, probably have a maid to do the washing and hang out the clothes. Or just send them out to be done (our method).

TH

Edited by thaihome

Go on - be like Batman, Spidey & Superman. They have no problem with it (although it may be embarrassing for guests)

Man, we used those "Hills Hoist" contraptions back in the 50's in the US. Ancient technology. :o

You should see their cars :D

Vauxhal/Opel ship their out of date plants over there, change the name to 'Holden' and flog them to the poor ignorant bastards ....... :D

Aussies also have a penchant for drying clothes outdoors.

That's because they dry faster in a Victorian summer than in the dryer. :o

Always found that a rainshower hitting the clothes on the line followed by a quick drying in the sun left them feeling freshest.

Edited by cdnvic