lucky to be in Thailand

cmarshall

Indeed. We just hit 1 million cases in a day. People ask me why. I say total indifference. No masks, no distancing, large gatherings, sporting events and concerts go on as normal. Staunch anti-vaxxers. When vaccine passports are brought up they're met with protest. People fight on airplanes and to enter stores not wearing masks. Hurr, durr, 'Murica!

Wife reads about the continuing labor shortages, and is anxious to be making $15/hr rather than $15 a day here. But given this nonsense we're waiting it out about another 2 years.

1003x-1.jpg

• Like 1

The one million reported for Monday was an anomaly due to limited reporting over the weekend. The NYT gives the 7 day average reported Tuesday at 547,6xx. It is going up however. 

I'm glad to be in Thailand rather than my California home which is cold in the northern half and reporting 40 some thousand per day.

Yeah, feel lucky to be here too.   Cancelled my US trip last minute last month because I guessed (right and wrong) that they would scrap Test and Go and instead do a 2 week type quarantine.   It really felt like a sure thing to catch covid after watching FB and Youtube clips of packed stateside ski resorts.  

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Again, all number being reported are suspect.  NY wants the reporting of covid case at hospitals to be more 'specific'.  Quick survey, and 20-50% of the cases reported were not admitted for covid, but tested positive while just happened to be at the hospital for something else, and no symptoms.  But yet, are added to the covid 'hospitalization' numbers.  That's just silly.

Link please.

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Again, all number being reported are suspect.  NY wants the reporting of covid case at hospitals to be more 'specific'.  Quick survey, and 20-50% of the cases reported were not admitted for covid, but tested positive while just happened to be at the hospital for something else, and no symptoms.  But yet, are added to the covid 'hospitalization' numbers.  That's just silly.

That's the reason that I posted the link to The Economist's comparison of excess death rates.  The number for Covid infections and deaths are hardly accurate anywhere for a variety of reasons.  But virtually all governments track deaths carefully.  By comparing the month by month death rates since the beginning of the pandemic against the monthly averages, for instance, over the previous five years, epidemiologists can easily report the excess deaths most or all of which are attributable to Covid.  Also, the excess death count adjusts the estimated Covid deaths for people who could have been expected to die of some other cause during that period.  So, excess deaths are the only reliable way to estimate the true mortality numbers.  The US reports 827,000 confirmed Covid deaths, but the excess death number is more than 1.1 million already.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Someone Else said:

If you don't care about COVID then why are you obsessively posting about COVID all the time in this forum? 

Looks like you are the reincarnation of a previously banned poster.

Your new life, on ignore.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

to compare different countries is comparing apples and oranges. Makes no sense at all.

Different counting methods, different test amounts. 

You either didn't read a word of what I wrote or didn't understand it.  When we are talking about estimating Covid deaths using the method of excess deaths, the tests and testing methods don't enter in to it at all.  Did you really not understand that point?

13 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

You either didn't read a word of what I wrote or didn't understand it. 

It's you who does not understand. The death counting methods are different too. Even a fool should understand that. Bu I'm aware, Google "experts" don't

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

It's you who does not understand. The death counting methods are different too. Even a fool should understand that. Bu I'm aware, Google "experts" don't

You have my sympathy.  Life with low reading comprehension must be very difficult.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

We just hit 1 million cases in a day.

But there aren't 1 million hospitalizations, or deaths a day, are there?

19 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

No masks, no distancing, large gatherings, sporting events and concerts go on as normal.

Sounds like people have had enough of the government <deleted> and are just getting on with their lives. Good for them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, cmarshall said:

The US reports 827,000 confirmed Covid deaths, but the excess death number is more than 1.1 million already.

I wish there was more info about the sort of people dying. It makes a difference if it it were for some preventable condition like obesity or down to no particular reason. I just haven't seen any such info out there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, olfu said:

...lucky to be in Thailand?

For you it maybe, for me  its Florida, USA.

As I said before US is cheapest country in the world if you know what you doing.

It may be cheap, but I bet it's not nearly as good as Thailand to live in ( for those with money ). For starters, how many died in Thailand from hurricanes, tornados etc, how many died from being shot, how many gangsters are roaming the streets of Thailand looking to mug some passerby, etc.

• Confused 1

Before we start fight I recommend look at crime rates published by multiple web sites.

For example Numbeo publishes lists on regular basis where you can learn that Thailand has higher crime rate than US.

Before going to any country I start from statistics and my real life experience.

Have a nice day. 

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wish there was more info about the sort of people dying. It makes a difference if it it were for some preventable condition like obesity or down to no particular reason. I just haven't seen any such info out there.

What does it matter what sort of people are dying?.

Putting aside they are all somebody’s wife, husband, parent or child and the human grief associated with their deaths, they all require health care during their illness.

The impacts of over a million deaths are of course no concern to you.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, olfu said:

Before we start fight I recommend look at crime rates published by multiple web sites.

For example Numbeo publishes lists on regular basis where you can learn that Thailand has higher crime rate than US.

Before going to any country I start from statistics and my real life experience.

Have a nice day. 

I think you will find that the crimes are usually committed against other Thais. As a farang I felt safer in Thailand than in the UK or NZ.

On 1/5/2022 at 3:20 PM, Someone Else said:

If you don't care about COVID then why are you obsessively posting about COVID all the time in this forum? 

Ignore him. He still hasn’t figured out if the moon landings happened. 

• Haha 1