C.O.D. Scam

dddave

On 1/6/2022 at 4:21 PM, AustinRacing said:

For those who think COD is not the right way for ordering online you need your heads examined. Would you rather pay for something online and HOPE that you won’t get ripped off or scammed or would you rather wait until you have the goods in your hands and checked them BEFORE you pay for them like you do in shops? It’s a no-brainer. If you pay for delivery of a box into your hand without knowing anything about it or open it and check to make sure all is good then I’m afraid you’re the perfect target for scammers and will learn the hard way just like the OP. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the belief that you were usually not allowed to open the parcel prior to payment.

How many readers here actually open CODs from Lazada/Shoppee/etc. before they pay the delivery person?

I usually use COD only for items such as TVs.  If the box has holes in it or looks like it's been handled roughly I'll refuse it. This happened twice. once with a LCD TV and once with a monitor.

There have been quite a few threads on this subject here in the recent months, so it must be a thing.

Although the reports are often vague, confusing, often contradictory, laced with odd and unrelated "facts", so who knows.

Seems like a ton of effort and cost (box, plastic bags, phone charge, vehicle fuel, time) for, OMG, a 48 baht "take"?

Not sure who's dumber, the mark who pays 48 baht for a "mystery" box, or the con "artist" who is out spending their 48 baht?