Female Russian tourist claims assault at Koh Samui viewpoint - Thai manager cites self defence

webfact

18 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

A poverty stricken  Thai was showing showing gumption, initiative  and offering  unique service  for a paltry sum and some entitled, spoilt  tourist ruined it all for a few kopeks.

Russians are as poor as Thais.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Where's the video?

If you click on the daily news link that’s in the OP, there is a video there at the end of the article. It’s mostly the guy who is accused of assault giving his version of events, all but a few words in Thai.

• Like 1

My wild guess:
the girl refused to pay and tried to force her entry. 

The "manager" stopped her and somehow accidentally damaged her precious sunglasses.

(All this maybe happened before the start of the video)

Then the girl complained angrily that the "manager" broke her sunglasses ( at a moment she is showing her boyfriend the damaged items).

Of course the languages difference made the confrontation to escalate.

And here we go.... another interesting day in LOS.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

seeing a ‘home made cardboard sign’ does not lend itself to confidence that all is honest and above board. 

I would be highly suspicious when someone comes up to me and demands some money and shows me a cardboard sign. 

On private property the state of the sign stating an entry fee is irrelevant, it's private property, if they don't like it they can always bu_gger off.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

paying 50 THB for 2 stones that are not worth of a visit, tourists in Thailand are really easy marks, no wonder some "dodgy" guy put together that scam. Probably a squatter in the first place, that was given some tips by visiting tourists and thought of making a business ????

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
40 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

seeing a ‘home made cardboard sign’ does not lend itself to confidence that all is honest and above board. 

I would be highly suspicious when someone comes up to me and demands some money and shows me a cardboard sign. 

On private property the state of the sign stating an entry fee is irrelevant, it's private property, if they don't like it they can always bu_gger off.

The ’state of the sign’ is very relevant....       scribble on a piece of cardboard is hardly the makings of an official tourist attraction....   Yet, this place is being ‘peddled as a tourist attraction’.... 

Make an official sign, make it ‘look right’ and the clumsiness and suspicion is removed. 

As someone else mentioned - this is similar to those guys who hang around area’s of ‘disused land’ near markets etc and charge people a ‘parking fee’..... the reality is the parking fee is just a ‘pay off’ so they don’t damage your car (this is widely known). 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Not the ones I know and not tourists flying to Thailand! If she can't budget for minimal sightseeing expenses then she shouldn't  fly to Koh Samui!

You may have missed the the point....  People who argue about these things are rarely concerned with the cost and more concerned about principle. 

I can readily afford the entrance fee to National Parks but refuse to go on the basis of dual pricing. 

That said: I paid the Thai Price on Samet. 

Recently, I entered a national park with a group of Thai’s (I didn’t know it was national park), they paid my 400 baht (while they paid 40 baht) and didn’t tell me as they were so embarrassed.... 

In a nation not known for its honesty towards tourists, its perfectly understandable that some would get suspicious about someone who has made a cardboard sign to try and charge or even scam some money out of tourists. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

The video shows the tourist being hit by a chair but not who threw it. 

The video I watched it seems more she picked up the chair and threw it before it came back like a Boomerang.

I don't speak russian. If she told her husband she'd divorce at home, he should be happy ????

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that he used the 50 baht entrance fee mentioned in several languages on a makeshift cardboard sign to pay for the upkeep of the area including the bridge. 

At the time of the incident there were 30 others there who paid the fee but two did not creating trouble.

The owner of the land told Daily News that they did not know what was going on on their land

His little incidence of greed has just shut down his little perk.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Nice to see the comments... The 'manager' charged thb 50 per person. At this particular time there were 30 paying tourists. The owner of the land states that he does not know what is going on.

All according to the article. It seems to me that not only the lady is suffering from entitlement syndrome.....

10 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Principled people can still pay and demonstrate their moral purity in other ways. Principles included generosity  of spirit, respecting local, and respecting  elderly people. If her 'Principles' lead her to ignore so many conventions of behaviour  then her Principles are §hìť and of no value. She was just a spoilt awkward  trouble maker.

Fair enough... 

She clearly handled the situation very poorly.... So did the Thai guy..... 

Who ‘triggered who first’ ???....

I’ve certainly been the situation where some ‘local’ has come up to me in a very ‘dogged' and somewhat aggressive manner and demanded something, it's usually in tourist areas....   there are stories of such all over the internet. 

Or perhaps the woman just figured she was being scammed and refused to pay, thats not exactly surprising here. Then the Thai guy got angry, he was entitled to his money, right ?

Did she swear at him, call him something? did he ???

One of them trigger the other first - and as another poster said - it takes two to tango.....