Female Russian tourist claims assault at Koh Samui viewpoint - Thai manager cites self defence

webfact

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The ’state of the sign’ is very relevant....       scribble on a piece of cardboard is hardly the makings of an official tourist attraction....   Yet, this place is being ‘peddled as a tourist attraction’.... 

What is "an official tourist attraction" and what makes visiting this private property such a thing?   No official agency is "peddling it as a tourist attraction" as far as I can see, some bloggers maybe, that's all.

The state of the sign is completely irrelevant, he's charging to enter private property,  he could write the entry fee with a dirty finger on the back of his shirt if he chose to, it's private property.   

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, seajae said:

so he had built a bridge without the land owners permission and was charging people to go onto their private land that the owners knew nothing about then attacked a female when she refused to pay  him, doesnt matter what the female did, this man was doing something totally illegal in the first place by charging people to access someone elses land, he should have to pay all her costs as well as restitutuion and also give all the money he had charged everyone to go onto the land to the land owners seeing he did not have their permission to do so

He is the manager of the property, he can do what he wants unless the owner says he can't. If you go into a private property, you have to do what the manager tells you, end of.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

The video I watched it seems more she picked up the chair and threw it before it came back like a Boomerang.

I don't speak russian. If she told her husband she'd divorce at home, he should be happy ????

Only saw the video in daily news link. In that one it shows the tourist being hit but no one on film throwing the chair. I’ll take your word that the tourist also threw a chair. 

46 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Fair enough... 

She clearly handled the situation very poorly.... So did the Thai guy..... 

Who ‘triggered who first’ ???....

I’ve certainly been the situation where some ‘local’ has come up to me in a very ‘dogged' and somewhat aggressive manner and demanded something, it's usually in tourist areas....   there are stories of such all over the internet. 

Or perhaps the woman just figured she was being scammed and refused to pay, thats not exactly surprising here. Then the Thai guy got angry, he was entitled to his money, right ?

Did she swear at him, call him something? did he ???

One of them trigger the other first - and as another poster said - it takes two to tango..... 

Clearly her  fault as she refused to cooperate  with her fellow travellers  and potentially  spoilt their experience. She should  have 'gone with flow ' and behaved with good grace because it's the best way of avoiding trouble when travelling.

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Wonder whether cute Ekatharina is so easily excited in other situations.

Sure not boring to live with her ????

If you have never had the pleasure of living in Russia for even a short time I can tell you that I never met a Russian who gave up easily.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GrandPapillon said:

paying 50 THB for 2 stones that are not worth of a visit, tourists in Thailand are really easy marks, no wonder some "dodgy" guy put together that scam. Probably a squatter in the first place, that was given some tips by visiting tourists and thought of making a business ????

He is the manager, so your Thai bashing doesn't work.

• Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Only saw the video in daily news link. In that one it shows the tourist being hit but no one on film throwing the chair. I’ll take your word that the tourist also threw a chair. 

If you go to the daily news link it shows her hitting him with one of those small fold up stools.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

This line says it all.

This greedy <deleted> of a man has just destroyed his cash cow by being obnoxious, bankruptcy awaits him.

indeed, som na na

the silly squatter got greedy over 50THB, and in return he is losing his business ????

if he was paid  by the owner to watch over the land, this extra income was definitely illegal

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, rwill said:

If you go to the daily news link it shows her hitting him with one of those small fold up stools.

So what? If someone hit me I'd hit them back too.

There's a reason he's being arrested for assault and not her and yes, the police have of course seen the full video.

Edited by ukrules

5 hours ago, mancub said:

Shame....a harmless piece of enterprise, which it seems, many have previously benefitted from. 

A proper or "official looking" sign would have helped though !

I agree with you completely.

Now, if you could tell me where you live (rent or own is fine) and I will go over there and put up a sign and pull the same caper as the Thai individual in this story and charge people to stay in your place. You wouldn't mind that, now. Just a harmless piece of enterprise, you understand. I will even generate an "official looking" sign just to make it ok

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Or obnoxious tourist enters private property and causes a scene.

You're very naïve. This 'manager' was scamming people by charging people to visit his boss's land, without the knowledge of the owner. Because of the fuss the owner is now blocking any access. Hopefully he'll fire the manager too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:
5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

When I see a handwritten sign on a piece of cardboard I too become very sceptical that someone is trying to rip me off..... 

Then you don't enter the private property and there is no problem.

Was there also a sign saying it was private property?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

If there is.

Why should the linked video be cut? Because the website wants Russian-bashing?

You know what the news is like in Thailand, they can show anything about a foreigner they want to but if a Thai is made to look bad in any way - even if it's true then it's lawsuits all the way to a payday - for the Thai.

• Like 1

She’s a feisty one, on the one hand I feel for the bf/husband being caught in the middle but that feistiness surely reaps rewards in other ways.  Having said that, she can p*** the F off for for making a mountain out of a molehill, to say the least.  Over 50 baht lol, enjoy the rest of your holiday Ekaterina, *don’t* come back soon.

2 hours ago, humqdpf said:

I agree with you completely.

Now, if you could tell me where you live (rent or own is fine) and I will go over there and put up a sign and pull the same caper as the Thai individual in this story and charge people to stay in your place. You wouldn't mind that, now. Just a harmless piece of enterprise, you understand. I will even generate an "official looking" sign just to make it ok

Well, you'd be welcome to try, since, if my homestead had become host to an obviously well-known tourist site,

("At the time of the incident there were 30 others there who paid the fee ")  then I'd be either happy to play along with it or It shows that I simply have no interest what-so-ever in what's happening there. 

You don't go to this place unless you've read up on its location (or been instructed by friends) and with that knowledge you will learn that it is located up some very steep mountain roads (especially the last 300 meters), or you park and walk up. You would also likely have been told there is a small entrance fee. You don't stumble upon this place. Most visitors wait at the entrance area so each visiting group can have their own experience (selfies/photos) around the bridge and rocks. During COVID there were some days it was free to enter (as other areas on Samui) as no attendants were working/collecting a fee. Sometimes there were Thai fees (20 baht) and farang (50 baht) but usually the same price. The story on Samui is this whole incident started with the couple walking past the sign to go onto the bridge, the security guard poking her in the arm about the fee...then voila. If there were people waiting for their "turn" to do a solo visit to the rock then butting in line would not be appreciated as well. Maybe this couple were truly ignorant of their surroundings, proper etiquette,  or they (she) just lives on a short fuse. Few here believe the owner of the land did not know what was happening on the land. This place has been around a long time for tourist visits. The police would have been well aware of its existence as well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What is "an official tourist attraction" and what makes visiting this private property such a thing?   

Writing on a piece of cardboard definitely doesn’t....  

[The ’state of the sign’ is very relevant....       scribble on a piece of cardboard is hardly the makings of an official tourist attraction....   Yet, this place is being ‘peddled as a tourist attraction’.... ]

No official agency is "peddling it as a tourist attraction" as far as I can see, some bloggers maybe, that's all.

The location is definitely being ‘peddled’ [the action of promoting an idea or view persistently or widely.] as a tourist attraction....   Google ‘Overlap Stone’.....

https://www.tatnews.org/2021/05/mu-ko-ang-thong-marine-park-ko-samuis-hidden-gems/

Official recognition in the TAT news anyone ??????

@ Liverpool Lou..... sometimes you should take off your argue against anyone hat and think before you post. 

The state of the sign is completely irrelevant, he's charging to enter private property,  he could write the entry fee with a dirty finger on the back of his shirt if he chose to,

He could... but... below... 

it's private property.   

Onto which he [the owner or caretaker] is inviting tourists, domestic, international, anyone.... 

Of course, for a fee.....   then take steps to avoid conflict, make it look like he’s not ripping people off !!! 

Scribble on a piece of cardboard does not meet that end and is quite likely the very reason this issue exists. 

Edited by richard_smith237