"Sleeping" six wheel truck driver smashes into trailer at Bang Poo intersection

webfact

5pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Bang Poo police were called to an accident in Soi 3 A at the Bang Poo industrial estate in Samut Prakan yesterday afternoon.

A six wheel truck had slammed into the container on an 18 wheel truck.

When rescue services arrived the whole road was blocked.

The driver of the smaller vehicle, Jamroon, 44, had to be cut out after being pinned to the dashboard. He was rushed to Sikharin Hospital. 

584512.jpg

Pakorn, 49, the driver of the 18 wheeler said he saw the other vehicle coming at distance from Sukhumvit Road but after he pulled out the other driver didn't appear to brake at all. 

Police suspect that the injured driver fell asleep at the wheel, reported Naew Na.  

Microsleep or "lap nai" in Thai is responsible for much of the carnage on Thai roads. Signage throughout the country warns of this danger.

It is invariably in Thai language only. 

584515.jpg

584514.jpg

Aetna Platinum+ Light on premium, great on coverage

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-06

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Pakorn, 49, the driver of the 18 wheeler said he saw the other vehicle coming at distance from Sukhumvit Road but after he pulled out the other driver didn't appear to brake at all. 

So he knew he was pulling out in front of an oncoming vehicle and expected them to stop for him?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nahkit said:

So he knew he was pulling out in front of an oncoming vehicle and expected them to stop for him?

Of course. Just part of the Me First culture. I'd expect nothing else. As for the micro-sleep excuse that is so endemic in Thailand, something we rarely read of in other countries, call it what it is - a lack of concentration.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Of course. Just part of the Me First culture. I'd expect nothing else. As for the micro-sleep excuse that is so endemic in Thailand, something we rarely read of in other countries, call it what it is - a lack of concentration.

Micro sleep has been the subject of a TV campaign in the UK it is well advertised as a problem. there are frequent signs on British motorways telling drivers to stop and 'Take a Break' exactly the same as in Thailand

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Of course. Just part of the Me First culture. I'd expect nothing else.

Not necessarily so. Truckers get a bad rap all over the world. A well trained goods vehicle driver will learn how to properly 'command' the road. In other words, force your will on other road users. It's often the only way for them to make any progress.

7 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Not necessarily so. Truckers get a bad rap all over the world. A well trained goods vehicle driver will learn how to properly 'command' the road. In other words, force your will on other road users. It's often the only way for them to make any progress.

That's the cusp of it "well Trained"

4 hours ago, Darkside Gray said:

That's the cusp of it "well Trained"

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

This is normal, pull out and expect others to stop or slow for them.

The point is you can't criticise the driver of the 18 wheeler without more evidence. Yes, it's necessary for drivers of large good vehicles to pull out in front of other drivers to make progress. Nobody gives way to truckers, nobody. Without commanding the road, they would sit at the same point all day with their indicators on.