Anyone flying to Phuket need to show the negative test results before boarding the plane?

ppatrick

Hi,

I'm planning to visit my family in Thailand around end of this month. Lots of Covid requirements are confusing to say the least. Yesterday I talked to a Thai Pass hotline agent. She told me that airlines would not allow me to board the plane unless I show the 72 hour negative test result. This sounds odd. Would the airline force passengers to abandon their plane tickets? The 72 hour negative test result sounds like a requirement to enter Thailand. The common sense tells me that airlines don't know the rules of every country. Hence they cannot enforce it (deny boarding when passengers have no test results).

Also, does it matter if the passengers have the PCR or rapid test results? PCR takes multiple days to get the results. 72 hour limit is really pushing IMO. Rapid test makes more sense to me.

I would like to know if anyone could board their flights to Phuket (that's my destination to participate in the Sandbox program) without the test results? Please share your experience. Thanks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Upnotover said:

It's been needed to enter Thailand for many months and many thousands of people have managed it. Are you serious?

Ur rigth.I even had to shove a negative RT-PCR test when i checked in a fligth from Oslo(norway)to thailand in late march last year.Quatar airways asked for this in the airport in oslo.I also needed i fit to fly serticicate.

• Like 1

If I were you, I would rethink this idea unless there was some unfixable reason that I couldn't do sandbox.

With AQ, you are restricted to a room and cannot leave. If you test positive, you restart with a hospital/hospitel quarantine at your expense.

With sandbox, you can go out for the day once your first negative test has come back. (The risk of a positive test and quarantine is still there.)

With regard to the pre-departure test: regardless of what you do, you need travel insurance. Your travel insurance should cover you if you miss a flight because of a positive test (check with them first, though).

• Like 1

A negative RT-PCR test result within 72 hours of departure to Thailand is required.  It will be checked at boarding.  Airlines have access to these sort of requirements via the TIMATIC system and they do enforce them rigorously because the airline can be fined otherwise and be responsible for flying back passengers at the airline's expense that are rejected by immigration in Thailand.

No one has ever gotten into the Phuket Sandbox without presenting a negative RT-PCR test taken within the allowed timeframe.

Every one of the tens of thousands of people who have participated in the Phuket Sandbox since it started in July 1, 2021 have managed to obtain a negative RT-PCR test within 72 hours of departure to Thailand.  Good luck.

• Like 2