Gallstones surgery

fridog

UK surgeon here

The size of the stone is large.

But as someone else mentioned in the thread, when its that large there's actually a smaller chance of it going down the ducts as the first duct it has to get into is usually only 2-5mm in diameter.  But this isn't the only thing you should be thinking about.  

Common complications of gallstones can be pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) and inflammation of the gallbladder (cholecystitis), which can both be life-threatening, and should not be taken lightly.  It's for this reason surgeons recommend taking the gallbladder out.  To put it simply, you have a landmine in your body, it might never go off/it might never be triggered, but if it does, there's a chance you might die.  On the other hand, you could have a surgery (which does have its own risks but usually considered lower than leaving a gallbladder that has gallstones) to remove the bomb.  There are, of course, other bits of information you need to understand and consider about lifestyle adjustment if you choose not to remove your gallbladder and its consequences or after you've had your gallbladder removed also.  

Everyone assesses risk and risks to their mortality differently, but also quality of life.  Try and speak with a surgeon who's willing to give you a full picture of both outcomes, be as well informed as possible - try and think far into the future rather than just the instantaneous should i have surgery or not, think about 10 years, 20 years from now, what does that mean.  For example, let's say you're 40 now, you don't want the surgery, ok, you're fine for 20 years.  Now you're 60 you have a massive gallbladder attack, perforation, now it's an emergency surgery, you're 60 and you have more co-morbities, your survival rate from the surgery has plummeted as your age has gone up and it's an emergency surgery as opposed to planned.  

From a surgical point of view, if you need a surgery, you should always plan it, what we call an elective surgery and get it done ahead of time.  The mortality and outcomes are usually better, and you will likely have a better quality of life afterwards.  Waiting until the bomb explodes can lead to very poor outcomes for you even if the surgery is successful.  

There's a whole lot of of things that I could go on about but it should really be discussed in a formal clinic setting.  

Edited by azt219
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2022 at 6:37 PM, Justanotherone said:

Anybody here did the surgery already ?

Did it resolve all problems or you had some new bothering things afterwards ?

Just curious about reallife experience and not book knowledge

Yes I did, read my posts earlier in this thread. I feel fine.