Ghost ship found floating in Gulf of Thailand

webfact

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAivXZhZex87SAiRqlicxsVz5joFjz46hRbGT77CP.jpg

A mysterious ship, believed to be a freighter, was found floating in the Gulf of Thailand, about 100 miles from the coast of Songkhla, on Wednesday night by a Thai Navy patrol boat, according to Vice Admiral Sunthorn Kamklai, commander of the Royal Thai Navy’s second fleet.

Sailors on the patrol boat, Tor 113, boarded the ship and found no one on board, no cargo, anchor or electricity. The vessel has the name “Fin Shul Yuen” painted on its side, but the last digit of the registration number appears to have been deliberately erased. The ship is about 80 metres long and was taking in water when it was found.

The Thai sailors used an electric pump on the patrol boat to pump water out of the mysterious ship, to prevent it from sinking and obstructing navigation in the area, but the operation had to be suspended due to rough seas, which could have led to damage to the patrol boat because it had to moor alongside the ship.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/ghost-ship-found-floating-in-gulf-of-thailand/

Logo-top-.png

........but the commander of the second fleet has ordered an investigation into the owner of the vessel.

Odd that the Commander knows the identity of the vessel's owner yet the ship is unidentified. Wait.....I can just make out a name under the rust and paint....Marie Celeste...?

49 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

........but the commander of the second fleet has ordered an investigation into the owner of the vessel.

Odd that the Commander knows the identity of the vessel's owner yet the ship is unidentified. Wait.....I can just make out a name under the rust and paint....Marie Celeste...?

Your timely mention of the Marie Celeste reminded me of great 1981  song "Marie Celeste" by the Neo-Rockabilly group the Polecats.  Here's a Youtube link in case you haven't heard it:  

2 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

For what? Just turn off the pump if you want it on the bottom of the sea. Or keep it afloat, find out who it belongs to, then heavily penalise the owners...

Laws apply salvage etc  If you find it you own it  .

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai sailors used an electric pump on the patrol boat to pump water out of the mysterious ship

OMG, who drew the short straw to go on board. 

I reckon the entire crew would have been avoiding going on board the GHOST SHIP. 

The old sphincter would have been quivering, a few sailors would have been sh1ting themselves. 

LOL 

4 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Damn foreigners , get a sub to torpedo it .

Plenty of Thai registered vessels in Thai waters second hand from China, still with Chinese written all over them. Most if not all the ferries to Samui and Phangan are ex-China (I'm pretty sure most of those are ready to sink too).

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

Since the ship sank, I hope that there was not too much bunker oil and other oil on board.

Does anyone read Chinese, I am curious what the Chinese writing besides the number 2 meant?

at least it was not too close to land when it sank.

9 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I wonder why the crew didn't just scuttle it?

The gulf of Thailand is not deep, around 58 meters in many parts, less in other areas, max 85 meters, perhaps the location of the ship means scuttling it would possibly cause danger to other shipping?

10 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Odd that the Commander knows the identity of the vessel's owner yet the ship is unidentified. 

I assume they mean "has ordered an investigation to find out who the owner of the vessel is"