Vaccine Risk Group Criteria & Sources for "Private Vaccines"

lowp

Two questions:

1. Is being over 60 considered a risk factor for receiving booster shots according to official Thai Ministry of Health guidelines? I remember seeing something regarding this about 8 months ago, but not sure if it was *official* or just a recommendation.

2. What are the locations where one can buy Astrazeneca, or pfizer or moderna privately?

I know many hospitals are taking money for moderna reservations, with vague timelines and no refund policies due to various factors. A Thai friend said most of those are PR moves and hampered by supply issues. I would be OK with an AZ shot, but heard all of those are gov restricted as well as pfizer. So not sure why the for-profit moderna is not in the same category or am I missing something?

OP, I cannot assist as I'm hoping for answer to same questions.

Can I add one more to your list.

So I'm in risk group also and now just past 3 months since my 2x AZ jabs.

When are folk eligible for booster (time wise) if using private hospital or otherwise. 

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

When are folk eligible for booster (time wise) if using private hospital or otherwise. 

I was able to get a Moderna booster at Sukhumvit Hospital, 3 months after my last AZ jab.

Paul Laew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The guidance has been changed regarding the time between your last AstraZeneca jab and a 3rd booster jab from six (6) months to three (3) months.  I have received a 3rd booster jab of Moderna in Phuket at a walk-in clinic at Patong Hospital (something they are doing every Wednesday morning, what is available changes but can be AstraZeneca, Pfizer, or Moderna).  In Phuket it is possible also to register at Phuket.win for a 3rd booster jab appointment.  I don't know what's available outside Phuket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

At least in Phuket the requirements/qualifications for getting a 3rd booster jab are pretty relaxed.  You don't have to be in a risk group.  You don't even have to have received your previous 2 jabs in Thailand (as long as you can document having received the vaccinations).  You don't even have to prove you are resident in Phuket.  But doses are limited to maybe 50 per day.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, lowp said:

I missing something?

What is your vaccination history? Be very specific with names, dates and even locations.

Where do you live?

This way you get relevant focused comments. Otherwise it's a crapshoot: "My wife's cousin's sister's friend heard about someone who got a booster recently in Nakhon Si Thammarat."

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

I was able to get a Moderna booster at Sukhumvit Hospital, 3 months after my last AZ jab.

Paul Laew

Thanks for advice 

Did you specifically want Moderna? I'm not fussed. 

I have Thai partner and in perfect world would like to go together for the booster. She is not in any risk group and under 60.

She just informed me of the location of that hospital which suits. 

Don't really care about the cost but out of interest what was the charge.

@mtls2005...My history is 2 x AZ.

Both my jabs given at Bang Sue (SCG).

First then followed by second 3 months later and currently coming up to 3 months ago was 2nd shot of AZ.

My location Pra Ram 9, Bangkok, so most places easy to get to. 

Thanks also @skatewash 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

My location Pra Ram 9, Bangkok, so most places easy to get to. 

Pra Ram 9 Hospital has Moderna (paid, 1.650 thb). I'd contact them. Was there last week accompanying a neighbor for their Moderna #2. Was told they have nearly same-day - not walk-in per se - Moderna service.

Maybe ask your Thai partner to snoop around Facebook for paid moderna.

Look at BMA Din Daeng QueQ App and Bang Sue via mobile phone apps.

You're nearly eligible for MoPH/BMA Pfizer, but wait until you're three months then make an appointment.

There's a huge run right now, boosters, omicron, holidays, supply issues all contributing to challenges.

Maybe lay low for a few weeks while you source a booster?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lowp said:

Is being over 60 considered a risk factor for receiving booster shots

No, not as far as I can tell.

The only qualifying criteria are vaccination history, and time period since second dose.

13 hours ago, lowp said:

What are the locations where one can buy Astrazeneca, or pfizer or moderna privately?

As observed, you can buy Moderna, maybe you can buy sinopharm. AZ and Pfizer are free, from the government via disparate channels.

Depending on location there might be free walk-in Pfizer booster vaccinations available, where I live there has already been a couple of Pfizer walk-in free 1st, 2nd, or 3rd jab for foreigners.

Otherwise Moderna is available from private hospitals, a lot of 3+ million doses is said to come in this month.

Moderna was/is free at many government hospitals. The recent Moderna delivery is being distributed now. My wife's 2nd dose appointment for Moderna was postponed from last Friday 7th January 2022 to this Thursday 13th January. A 6 day delay. Not a problem. My walk-in Moderna booster on 16th December was free and is showing on the Mor Phrom app and Intervac International Certificate. It will be interesting to see if this latest Moderna delivery is distributed differently this time, with an election looming.

On 1/10/2022 at 1:07 PM, fdsa said:

I'm interested in buying Pfizer vaccine too, please PM if you know where to get it for sure.

I don't think you can buy Pfizer here, maybe some knock-off in a market or in a border town ("imported from Laos or Cambodia), it's not for sale here.

What is your vaccination history? Where do you live?

I think there is a shortage of Pfizer right now, with deliveries expected any day, so maybe just wait it out for MoPH or BMA or provincial options.

Yes, the GPO did take a large portion of the most recent Moderna order, and is distributing it for free throughout various government channels.

FIvH-HRUcAUMNy-.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I don't think you can buy Pfizer here, maybe some knock-off in a market or in a border town ("imported from Laos or Cambodia), it's not for sale here.

I don't really care if there will be any injections at all, I just need a confirmation paper allowing me to travel.

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

What is your vaccination history? Where do you live?

No vaccines yet, but I don't want to take any other vaccines except Pfizer as it is the only organization I somewhat trust.

I have 2 shots of Moderna available at MedPark if anyone is interested. They can be used separately (as a booster for 1 or 2 people) or as a full course for one person. I just booked my booster with them, and they were taking bookings from Jan 24th, but as I understand it, they won't let you book an appointment if it's soon since your last vaccination.

On 1/10/2022 at 9:26 AM, DrJack54 said:

My history is 2 x AZ.

Both my jabs given at Bang Sue (SCG).

If you got your last Az at Bang Sue you should get an invitation SMS for a booster (probably Pfizer) when / slightly after you become due.

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2022 at 8:43 AM, DrJack54 said:

If you want people to help, you must state your location.  :cheesy:

6 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

If you want people to help, you must state your location.  :cheesy:

From earlier in the thread.....

"Both my jabs given at Bang Sue (SCG).

First then followed by second 3 months later and currently coming up to 3 months ago was 2nd shot of AZ.

My location Pra Ram 9, Bangkok, so most places easy to get to."