Did you try to learn Thai? How did you get on? How old were you? Was it worth it? Regrets?

Grecian

For me the biggest thing was finding a program that I liked. I kept on striking out with freelance teachers, and didn't enjoy going into tutor centers as it was a pain. Last year I found an online program with curriculum I liked and really good teachers. The rest is history. Now I can speak and read...can't really write as I have no need for that (voice to thai text works fine).

• Like 1

Sorry, but your numerous pompous posts warrant a response like this...

On 1/13/2022 at 3:51 AM, kwilco said:

There are of course some people who are there [sic] own worst enemies and just don't have the inate [sic] skills..

English much?

I have had to develop language courses for adults of various nationalities...

Lord, help them...

The 2 worst nationalities? The Spanish and the Americans.

So which are you?  Spanish or American?

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2022 at 2:58 PM, Neeranam said:

Interestingly, it's often English teachers that don't learn the language. What is this telling your students? 

Guilty!  Lived here for 17 years and never learned to read or write Thai, and can only speak it at a very basic level.  Most of my students thinks it's quite amusing and enjoy my mangled pronunciation, although, fortunately, they rarely have to hear it!

On 1/27/2022 at 6:03 AM, Neeranam said:

Total nonsense. I often talk to the monks in the morning about religious things, especially the Hindu connection in the type of Buddhism practiced by some here. Also the presence of Animism and Fetishism. I like to go to the temples, of which there are many near my home to meditate and often chat with monks about these things. Recently, I was discussing with two monks how there are 2 schools of thought here, does making amends  erase negative Karma. This alone is a cultural aspect that is explained, how some Thais don't apologize or make amends like Westerners do.  

You sound like a barrel of laughs.

I think i'd sooner blow my brains out rather that do what you mention.

My level of Thai is ok, can go about my daily life no drama's, will at some point learn to read a bit better.

• Haha 2

On 1/27/2022 at 6:06 AM, kwilco said:

Very ignorant argument.

I think becausevyou are <deleted> at it, you think it's "compmicated" and of course Thsi is useful outside Thailand. It doesn't compete with English but it has its uses...you just don't know about it.

Which other countries speak Thai where it would be useful?

It's handy in red light districts throughout the world tho!

Just now, HashBrownHarry said:

Which other countries speak Thai where it would be useful?

It's handy in red light districts throughout the world tho!

Fortunately any Thais engaged in the "red light" trade around the world are more than likely to have excellent English, so Thai language skills will be redundant.   I can't think of any reason why Thai would be useful outside Thailand.

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Fortunately any Thais engaged in the "red light" trade around the world are more than likely to have excellent English, so Thai language skills will be redundant.

Awrite for a bit of fun tho.

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I can't think of any reason why Thai would be useful outside Thailand.

Totally agree.