Top official describes the popular ‘Test and Go’ entry as a loophole exposing Thailand to Omicron

webfact

1 hour ago, geisha said:

Honestly , the world saw that video, it was a horrifying example of lack of hygiene!! The best possible  place to catch Covid, not on an airplane or in a bar, just in an isolation unit .

would there be a defamation suit for negative review!

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

Would have come in regardless, as it did with Thais for all the other variants.

Just racism to try and blame Thailand's problems on foreigners.  Sad.

I agree 100%, Looks like todays numbers of cases are once again a charade as the number have dropped backwards......so how again is what they are doing just since Friday Evenings announcement been responsible for a drop in 2 days.  However, I am sure they will see it as they have again won and been successful. 

I think the porous land borders have been a greater "loophole" ... but the guy is a Dr. so I won't argue with him.

Why didn't he speak up earlier? 

Test & Go is a child of the government ... so he's just made himself unpopular ... next time Senate seats need to be allocated.

Omrcron will have entered Thailand whether or not borders closed  It will be with us indefinitely.  International  Tourists will not come to Thailand or any where else when quarantine is required and when those who have braved the ever changing rules imposed by government  and local administrations are treating so badly incarcerated in state hospitals for no medical reason and charged  double  prices which not recoverable from Thai Insurance Insurance Polices  they have been compelled to purchase. So make up your minds allow tourists entry without restrictions or keep borders closed stop the immeasurable harm being caused to the tourist industry before it is too late.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And again, the foreigners are to blame. This stupid oversimplification of a complex problem shows the helplessness of this "doctor". As if their, sometimes idiotic, measures would completely eradicate C19. With such limited-thinking people, the misery only gets worse and lasts longer.

• Like 1

So, it has only taken this Top Official,- Taweesilp, over 2 Years to realise that any kind of " Opening " of the Country to Tourism without Quarantine, would make the Country vulnerable to any kind of Covid Variant that was in existence.

What a top man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Ha, wonder what this government will do if the new 'combination Delta/Omicron, Deltacron' is found in Thailand (25 cases apparently identified in Cyprus)? 

I also heard from my Daughter yesterday of this so called  "Hybrid " Variant that was located in Cyprus.

However, I have seen no such reports on BBC or any other News Channel of this reported find.

Anutin did mention that Omicron, and Delta, were both on the increase here in Thailand.  - Again, it was Anutin speaking

Are they combined into this " Hybrid " Variant. ?

We will have to wait and see. I for one certainly hope not.

2 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

I also heard from my Daughter yesterday of this so called  "Hybrid " Variant that was located in Cyprus.

However, I have seen no such reports on BBC or any other News Channel of this reported find.

Anutin did mention that Omicron, and Delta, were both on the increase here in Thailand.  - Again, it was Anutin speaking

Thailand will call it OhMyMelticron................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Countries with their borders sealed are still seeing massive omicron waves. 

Thailand's borders are not sealed - they have porous boders into Mynamar, which are in turn porous into India. India is seeing a massive wave of Omicron infections at the moment, and this will eventually seep into Myanmar and then into Thailand. 

Targetting tourism (which is vital for the Thai economy) is low grade xenophobia playing to the crowd. 

Thailand are treating this new Omicron wave just like the original variant. You cannot do this. You have 300,000 daily cases in France, 480,000 cases in the USA, 200,000 cases in Italy - you can't lock this many people up daily. Targetting tourism is like cutting of your nose to spite your face. 

What is the end game here then? Just seal borders forever?

You are behind. USA has surpassed a million a day! And yes, it happened that fast. It almost doubled in a week. 

However, it is not the same as before. Symptoms are milder and vaccination definitely helped prepare for it.

16 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

They are millions of variants. Everytime viruses spread they mutate. It is just that some are more notable than others.

3 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

Why do u keep saying their locking everybody up? Mandatory quarantine is no longer been enforced. Home isolation is the new Go for people who with no symptoms or mild.Things are completely different here this time round,no lockdowns, no curfews.

"Mandatory quarantine is no longer been enforced"

It is where I come from, and a couple of my friends with no symptoms are being "held" in th e most expensive hospital on the island - why? - IMHO because they have insurance and he is a "wealthy farang". And people that are being tested at the local clinic are being told told that if the test proves positive, an ambulance will be sent to their home to "collect" them and take them to hospital.

"Things are completely different here this time round,no lockdowns, no curfews."

Oh.yeah, for how long? "The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) on Friday did not go as far as public health officials had demanded by banning alcohol sales nationwide. Nonetheless, it is believed that a further tightening of regulations has begun."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Would have come in regardless, as it did with Thais for all the other variants.

Just racism to try and blame Thailand's problems on foreigners.  Sad.

I wonder who they would try to blame if Thailand had its own mutation? Most probably keep quiet until they allow it to transmit outside then blame them?

• Like 1