Top official describes the popular ‘Test and Go’ entry as a loophole exposing Thailand to Omicron

webfact

53 minutes ago, law ling said:

I think the porous land borders have been a greater "loophole" ... but the guy is a Dr. so I won't argue with him.

Why didn't he speak up earlier? 

Test & Go is a child of the government ... so he's just made himself unpopular ... next time Senate seats need to be allocated.

You are making far too much sense. It is best to avoid the topic of truth, or the discussion of accurate information. Disinformation seems to be far more powerful when it comes to whipping up the public into a frenzy of fear of the impending Apocalypse. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

public health officials had demanded by banning alcohol sales nationwide

Blimey, it's a good job that particular demand didn't make the headlines yesterday or Makro's booze department would have been besieged again, lol! Remember scenes like this from April 2020?

DSC_6817-696x464.jpg

4 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

What is the end game here then?

This is an interesting question.  Is there really a plan for a path forward.  I am not sure.

A long time ago I arrived in Phuket shortly after the Tsunami.  I met an English couple who knew Thailand well and were making charitable contributions to the natives who had lost their homes from the Tsunami.  They explained to me that the government was not interested in helping the natives as their main goal was to retake the land for property development.

Could COVID be a new wave Tsunami?  Another excuse to let the common folks suffer so the government can take more control of the country?  I sure hope not.  But this could be the way.  And how convenient to blame foreigners and alchohol for a virus that globally nobody really has control of.  What an easy way out for the long lunch today.  

• Like 2

The Test and Go is not fit for purpose.

We have had a number of guests now that have been negative after the first PCR test on their one night quarantine, but are found to be positive after the second PCR test some five days later.

Where the guest is asymptomatic or mild symptoms, they are being allowed to quarantine in their rental villa. No visitors.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, koratkarlos said:

This is an interesting question.  Is there really a plan for a path forward.  I am not sure.

A long time ago I arrived in Phuket shortly after the Tsunami.  I met an English couple who knew Thailand well and were making charitable contributions to the natives who had lost their homes from the Tsunami.  They explained to me that the government was not interested in helping the natives as their main goal was to retake the land for property development.

Could COVID be a new wave Tsunami?  Another excuse to let the common folks suffer so the government can take more control of the country?  I sure hope not.  But this could be the way.  And how convenient to blame foreigners and alchohol for a virus that globally nobody really has control of.  What an easy way out for the long lunch today.  

Very little concerning the "official Covid narrative" seems to be fact based and accurate. They are multiple agendas and few benefit the masses. 

• Like 1

From the linked article:

On Thursday, the Ministry of Public Health raised the COVID-19 alert level from three to four meaning that alcohol sales nationwide can now be banned by order.

Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul and public health officials were reported to have pushed hard for suspension of all alcohol sales nationwide.

Anutin had warned that he did not want to see a return to crowded and rowdy bar scenes which many regular foreign tourists to Thailand associate with their holidaymaking activity in the kingdom.

Anutin may be the next PM.

• Sad 1

We are two years into this pandemic and no further down the road in terms of and end to restrictions and control  - the economy remains in tatters. Phuket currently has a major out break in the community (and I suspect many cases are not detected) and yes the bars are largely responsible for transmission events. With more "sandboxes" opening and this is really the minimum of control, it is impossible to stop the 5th or 6th wave of community infection. At this juncture, perhaps the Gov't is accepting this by opening more Sandbox destinations. It is an individual responsibility to ensure vaccination and control your own risk profile. This cannot be stopped and the end game is not yet in sight .... so lets get on with business and hope that those with Covid are responsible enough to do the right things and stay at home. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

‘Test & Go is a loophole for the virus to enter the country,’ Dr Taweesilp told reporters on Friday.

Xenophobia in overdrive again. With it already here , in my mind there is very little reason not to reinstate test and go, since there is more omicron now found in the thai populace in one day than the entire tourists from the opening day of Thailand in November. they are just wasting time and money now

The Burmese workers pose no threat, they never brought Delta to Thailand and they wont bring Omicron no matter how many we smuggle.

Nor will the people from Bangladesh that can also walk into Thailand through Burma, they have Natural immunity , no problem, just pay your 3k Bhatt and your immunized.

Anyhow it may be all over in another month or two, It may have displaced Delta already, I don't think anyone knows the true numbers as many will get Pben Wat and never know they had omicron.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Dr Taweesilp Visanuyothin is a blazing idiot. The number of people found positive from the program was miniscule. He is just another emotionally undeveloped fool, looking for a scapegoat, and refusing to take responsibility for anything. Dumb and dumber. 

Woe is Thailand when men like him end up in positions of leadership. True bottom of the barrel selections. 

Jap. And I didn't know Omicron needs a "loophole" to come in. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

On Friday, it was described by Dr Taweesilp Visanuyothin of the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) as a ‘loophole’ that left Thailand vulnerable to the Omicron virus storm now brewing.

Dr T reminds the populace, where this virus is coming from, who brings it in, and most importantly, by implication, who to blame. The Government is on top of this variant. 

• Like 1

As per the Royal Gazette in print.

Published in the Royal Thai Government Gazette on 8 January 2022, the announcement also officiated the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration’s (CCSA) decision to reopen 3 more Sandbox destinations – Krabi, Phang-Nga, and Surat Thani (only Ko Samui, Ko Pha-ngan, and Ko Tao) from 11 January 2022 – in addition to Phuket. 

The announcement also confirmed that travelers who have applied/obtained their Thailand Pass QR code before 22 December 2021, with scheduled arrival dates in Thailand from 24 December 2021, onwards, can still enter Thailand until there are any changes.

Currently, there is no cut-off date.

2 hours ago, koratkarlos said:

It has been evident that developers have picked up land in Pattaya during Covid.  Big business is just as likely to be doing this.....

6 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

This was literally last week, and countless other tourists being sent to hospitals (or isolation units). 

How is this possible?? I had Covid and could stay home for 10 days cause no symptoms??

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

From the linked article:

On Thursday, the Ministry of Public Health raised the COVID-19 alert level from three to four meaning that alcohol sales nationwide can now be banned by order.

Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul and public health officials were reported to have pushed hard for suspension of all alcohol sales nationwide.

Anutin had warned that he did not want to see a return to crowded and rowdy bar scenes which many regular foreign tourists to Thailand associate with their holidaymaking activity in the kingdom.

Anutin may be the next PM.

Get your plan b ready and your suitcases packed. 

I can very well see a pogrom against expats and long staying foreigners if he ever gets to be PM.

• Like 1