Thai police in Omicron alert - crackdowns nationwide to stop spread of variant after PM's order

webfact

1 minute ago, fantom said:

It has been reported that there is no new strain in Cyprus, it was a laboratory error caused by contamination.

Confirmed or believed?..... I just watched a Dr John Campbell video that did support that idea and deny the Cyprus strain, for now. 

• Like 1

So what happened to Anutin's proclamation that "they could handle omicron"?

I sure am glad I cancelled my plans to come to Thailand again for this winter. They shut down the test and go to any new applications, re-instated the full 7 day quarantine, threatened to go back on their word to allow those already in the system to enter on the test and go, initiated manhunts for foreigners skipping out on their 2nd tests or for moving on before getting the results from the 2nd tests. And now they are talking more lock downs again, even though they previously said they wouldn't.

That's two winters of misadventures now with new variants coming along all the time. How many years does this go on and how many times do they shoot themselves in the foot? I have really missed spending winters in Thailand since leaving end of March 2020, but I am going to have to think long and hard about ever coming back now.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:
15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Deaths and infections occurred during every lockdown, they were proven to be spectacularly ineffective.

They were proven to slow the spread down. 

Where, specifically?   Which empirical data supports your claim?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 10:26 AM, ikke1959 said:

Enforcing the law must be done everyday.. People need to follow the rules to make live comfortable for everyone.. Not just as yesterday a movie at a temple at least 1km away which we could follow in my living room... Probably too many people and too much noise..and a Karaoke bar they switch into a barbeque restaurant singing till 0.00 every day...customers or not....I will never understand 

"Enforcing the law must be done everyday.. People need to follow the rules to make live comfortable for everyone."

What a load of rot, these soldiers don't have the brains to make rules for anything outside of the military.

This is a pandemic, and qualified people need to be in charge. not a bunch of uniformed, medal wearing Somchai's with a typical Somchai's mindset.

• Like 1

Pattaya police raided 2 entertainment venues last night:

spacer.png

At 9:30 p.m. yesterday (10 January 2022), the Pattaya Police inspected several entertainment venues on Soi Buakhaow and on Walking Street. At two  entertainment venues arrests were apparently made including at a live music bar on Walking Street, South Pattaya, which was still serving drinks to a large number of customers.

The police will examine the situation at 21:30 (9:30 p.m.) every day writes:

https://www.ch7.com/amp/542456

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Funny you should ask that.  This is Data from the US Navy.  It shows how locking down a ship, in some case like the USS Nimitz that went 304 days withoit an infection entering the ship, exiting  the ship or anyone catching the virus so proving I am correct that a pure lockdown can stop the virus  when you keep people in or out.  But alsas you will disaggree because  thats your nature.  Yoi just cant accept  facts. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_on_naval_ships

im sure I can find more data in other countries, or in other areas. But you will only disagree.  

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Oblomov said:

The point you and many  miss is that so many suffer serious outcomes due to extremely foolish lifestyle choices - not just from this, but from almost every other condition. The 99.6% recovery rate is important and large numbers of those that died with covid as a contributing factor, had conplex comorbidity factors. This is not new. Health services globally have been under severe pressure with the rapidly worsening obesity crisis. 

You make some valid though obvious points but 'negative economic effects' rather callously diminishes the wholsale destruction of many millions of lives and livelihoods to a mere economic factor. It is not. And it will be blighting the younger and youngest generation for decades. 

Personal fitness and good diet, as well as hygiene. Social distancing. Masks in crowded indoor spaces - these measures harm nobody. But a panicked deconstruction of whole societies through state mandated disruption to education, work lives and other social services was insane and will be shown to be so as the deleterious effects become evident even to the lockdown zealots, no doubt sitting happily at home with a pension or other safely bestowed income.

There's nothing callous about the phrase 'negative economic effects' I don't have the time to go into extensive detail and I often feel my posts tend to be on the long side so I assumed my intention would be understood which is an assumption your comments seem to back up. 

From my post.

'if there are to be restrictions on activities there needs to be sound evidence for it given the effects you mention. In the case of negative economic effects the government can give help. Education is more difficult but still needs to be tackled.'

'the effects you mention' is clearly a reference to 'yet unconcerned by poverty in the demographics that don't matter to the wealthy in power. Unconcerned by the young missing education and the hard working being ruined.'  so I would have thought my meaning was clear' Also my reference to 'negative economic effects' relates to financial help from the government which is what they should be attending to. 

My reason for mentioning the recovery rate is because a lot of people seek to use it to suggest Covid and in particular the Omicron variant isn't a serious threat so nothing should be done to slow it's progress. The point is that deaths although obviously tragic aren't the only concern as overwhelmed and understaffed hospitals create their own dangers and can cause extra deaths to add to those directly from Covid. In the UK there have been deaths of people waiting in ambulances to be admitted to hospital and the fact ambulance have been held up has caused deaths of people waiting for help. That's as well as those who haven't died but their prognosis has worsened due to delays.  Covid isn't the only reason for this as underfunding of health services has left them less prepared to cope. That's the situation in the UK and may well be similar in Thailand but I'll leave that for those who have more knowledge of this than me.

1 hour ago, GrandPapillon said:

with 1m daily cases per country in most European countries, the virus should be done with its round within 2 months ????

sans lockdowns, virus wins again ????

In South Africa, with poor vaccination rates, it was done in a couple of months

this is the only strategy to beat the virus, let it spread and win

The average age in South Africa is much lower than the UK and Europe in general and Thailand. Under 30 in South Africa and over 40 for the others from figures I've seen. Because Omicron was first detected in South Africa before it spread elsewhere they are further along in dealing with it. Their cases have been dropping and it looks as if that's about to happen soon in the UK. My guess is that Thailand needs to slow it as much as possible until cases drop which hopefully will be soon. South Africa had a curfew although that's now been lifted but there were still restrictions on large gatherings and mandatory mask wearing in public areas until recently and these may still be in place.

19 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

They were proven to slow the spread down.  

Show me this proof.  For every one country, or province, or state, that did it and thinks it slowed the spread, I will show you two countries, or provinces or states in the same country, that didn't do anything and it still slowed.  Those are just the outbreaks coming in waves.  Not the restrictions.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

Show me this proof.  For every one country, or province, or state, that did it and thinks it slowed the spread, I will show you two countries, or provinces or states in the same country, that didn't do anything and it still slowed.  Those are just the outbreaks coming in waves.  Not the restrictions.

I bet you think we should let all the infected swine mingle and drink together. At the little piggy troughs, And share their African swine flu with each other too.  Of course not, you probably feel they should be exterminated  so they dont infect the others pork products.  But you're ok with humans drinking at the same troughs and spreading the Vid.  Only difference  now is if its the Omicron  or Deltal.  So in summary, you feel kill the swine keep them from infecting other pigs, but let the humans all fornicate  and spread the vid.

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:
14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Funny you should ask that.  This is Data from the US Navy.  It shows how locking down a ship, in some case like the USS Nimitz that went 304 days withoit an infection entering the ship, exiting  the ship or anyone catching the virus so proving I am correct that a pure lockdown can stop the virus  when you keep people in or out.  But alsas you will disaggree because  thats your nature.  Yoi just cant accept  facts. 

5555555!     Perhaps you should have mentioned that you were talking about an alleged, extremely parochial lockdown on a ship or perhaps that's the only evidence, from one ship, that you can find!    When lockdowns are discussed they usually refer to lockdowns of cities or countries, not one ship.   How many of any population live on a ship?   Have you nothing that proves that locking down cities, states or countries works for the normal population, as you claim?!

It may be an idea to actually read your posted links before crowing about them!  That Wiki info confirmed that every ship mentioned had Covid infections and contained  no mention at all of any "naval lockdown", never mind a successful one!  Here's what it actually said...

"The COVID-19 pandemic spread to many military ships. The nature of these ships, which includes working with others in small enclosed areas and a lack of private quarters for the vast majority of crew, contributed to the rapid spread of the disease, even more so than on cruise ships.[1][2]

Due to the nature of operations security, national militaries may have policies in place that prevent or restrict reporting of SARS-CoV-2 infections and COVID-19 deaths.

The coronavirus pandemic was reported to have spread to the American aircraft carrier USS Nimitz when its first case was reported on 7 April 2020".

"I am correct that a pure lockdown can stop the virus  when you keep people in or out.  But alsas you will disaggree because  thats your nature.  Yoi just cant accept  facts".

Unfortunately, your link did not prove that you were correct, just the opposite, in fact, so, yes, I will disagree because you didn't show any substantiated facts, whatsoever. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

5555555!     Perhaps you should have mentioned that you were talking about an alleged, extremely parochial lockdown on a ship or perhaps that's the only evidence, from one ship, that you can find!    When lockdowns are discussed they usually refer to lockdowns of cities or countries, not one ship.   How many of any population live on a ship?   Have you nothing that proves that locking down cities, states or countries works for the normal population, as you claim?!

It may be an idea to actually read your posted links before crowing about them!  That Wiki info confirmed that every ship mentioned had Covid infections and contained  no mention at all of any "naval lockdown", never mind a successful one!  Here's what it actually said...

"The COVID-19 pandemic spread to many military ships. The nature of these ships, which includes working with others in small enclosed areas and a lack of private quarters for the vast majority of crew, contributed to the rapid spread of the disease, even more so than on cruise ships.[1][2]

Due to the nature of operations security, national militaries may have policies in place that prevent or restrict reporting of SARS-CoV-2 infections and COVID-19 deaths.

The coronavirus pandemic was reported to have spread to the American aircraft carrier USS Nimitz when its first case was reported on 7 April 2020".

"I am correct that a pure lockdown can stop the virus  when you keep people in or out.  But alsas you will disaggree because  thats your nature.  Yoi just cant accept  facts".

Unfortunately, your link did not prove that you were correct, just the opposite, in fact, so, yes, I will disagree because you didn't show any substantiated facts, whatsoever. 

304 days without  incident  during a lockdown  on an aircraft carrier  the size of a small city doesn't  prove to you... I bet you think we shouldn't  seperate the pigs that have swine flu from one another either.

17 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

304 days without  incident  during a lockdown  on an aircraft carrier  the size of a small city doesn't  prove to you...

No, ir doesn't, where's the evidence for that?    It wasn't in your link.  Every ship in your link had Covid infections!

Regardless of that atypical situation that does not apply to the general population, you've obviously got no evidence to back up your claim when relating to normal lockdowns in cities, states, countries, etc., that are not of the nautical type.  That is what lockdowns refer to in the real world.   

8 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

with 1m daily cases per country in most European countries, the virus should be done with its round within 2 months ????

sans lockdowns, virus wins again ????

In South Africa, with poor vaccination rates, it was done in a couple of months

this is the only strategy to beat the virus, let it spread and win

Tell that to the Chinese. 

11 hours ago, Bangkokian2019 said:

Pattaya police raided 2 entertainment venues last night:

spacer.png

At 9:30 p.m. yesterday (10 January 2022), the Pattaya Police inspected several entertainment venues on Soi Buakhaow and on Walking Street. At two  entertainment venues arrests were apparently made including at a live music bar on Walking Street, South Pattaya, which was still serving drinks to a large number of customers.

The police will examine the situation at 21:30 (9:30 p.m.) every day writes:

https://www.ch7.com/amp/542456

Usually a couple of examples will cause the other bars to toe the line. Let's see how much civil obedience is left among the bars. 

On 1/9/2022 at 8:30 PM, Oblomov said:

Terrified of a wiry flu type virus with 99% recovery rate (We can all hope in vain for a similarly high recovery rate in so many of the other more serious medical conditions that will undoubtedly carry most of us off) yet unconcerned by poverty in the demographics that don't matter to the wealthy in power. Unconcerned by the young missing education and the hard working being ruined.

As you say, sad and insane.

99.8% recovery rate globally as of the latest 7-day average data.

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, ir doesn't, where's the evidence for that?    It wasn't in your link.  Every ship in your link had Covid infections!

Regardless of that atypical situation that does not apply to the general population, you've obviously got no evidence to back up your claim when relating to normal lockdowns in cities, states, countries, etc., that are not of the nautical type.  That is what lockdowns refer to in the real world.   

The USS Nimitz  sailed 341 days without a Covid incident.   They went on more than one mission because they didnt have an outbreak because  of the implemented  COVID protocols.  Lets see locked down on a carrier.  No one comes, no one goes

Lockdown worked in this senario for 341 days.  These are just the facts.  Which is the truth that lockdowns work.  But as its a fact you will still say, "No, its not!"  If you lock down a country, let no one in or out with COVID, which will never happen,  just like infected people arent self isolating, as you say, they need money, so why would they stay home, fact is Nautical  or not its a proven fact.  No one came or got off the ship 341 days and no one caught covid.  You asked for proof.  I can draw you a picture in crayon,  or get an etch-a-shetch, but no one can make you comprehend, you asked for a actual  fact to back up my statement  that lock downs work, no matter land, sea, or Air.  Well, there you go.  But you will say no, just because  you dont want be wrong

Well the other readers can decide. 

Screenshot_20220112-072520_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220112-072528_Chrome.jpg

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So, have you ever heard of Sentinelese tribe off of India?  Well they are locked down from civilization.   They never caught covid!  So, thats two statistics.   One land locked in self isolation,and a whoke island snd then I fed you the information  on the USS Nimitz , and Im sure I can find more proving lockdowns work.  As in those two cases.  It requires total lockdown.  So, theres some facts and Im sure there's more

On 1/10/2022 at 6:55 AM, sandrew33 said:

None of this will slow Omicron. Like various other places in the World have learned nothing really will stop it. 

Its going to surge, the overwhelming majority of people (particularly the vaccinated) will get a nothing or a solid cold and they’ll have enhanced natural immunity as a result. But it’ll be a crazy month to 6 weeks. 

These steps just cripple business even harder on way through. 

Dead right - cripple businesses and hobble the young before they even get started with the egregious disruption of education

If this latest (and not the last) variant leaves significant levels of natural immunity, following patterns of previous variants, then it will be worth the chaotic couple of months. I read some research that the healthy and unvaccinated gain a much more robust natural immune response post infection. I'm up to date with my own vaccinations but the importance of all who are physically able, to get fitter, not get fat and eat a good diet has never been more important. We'd all get through this a lot better with much better  general fitness and without the dire obesity levels in an increasing number of nations.

Fingers crossed - better times in the near future

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 3:09 PM, RoyLee said:

I think excess deaths from all causes is more useful than just covid deaths for 2 reasons:

1. Western countries have fudged the covid stats so much they can't be trusted. 

2. Just glancing at your linked articles they don't consider effects of lockdowns. How many young people are lost to suicide or drug o/d to save an 80 y.o. covid patient?

Very true - if you remove those with complex co-morbidity factors, the clinically obese, the very old who are a feather touch from their last moments etc., the data would express more of an honest indication of fatalities -  The excess deaths, with covid a contributing factor, argument doesn't hold any water as of course there are excess deaths at the outset of a novo virus, but we'll all have to accept that this virus will be part of the usually complex causes of death of those of an advanced age or with complex conditions.

Data can be made to serve any purpose and it was 'fudged' as you say to instil fear to facilitate a compliance in extremely disastrous lockdowns. Now at least, it's a little more honest. 

No doubt that many of us have to get in much better shape as variants will escape vaccines whatever we do and though I'm up to date with my vaccines, I'm pushing hard to get my fitness levels as high as possible and the best diet possible. 

Have a good day RoyLee

On 1/10/2022 at 10:06 AM, webfact said:

9 pm closing will be strictly enforced. 

make sure it is enforced because the virus doesn't come out during the day, it finds it's way out after 9 pm only  555

Sarcasm

• Haha 2

Just now, Mavideol said:

make sure it is enforced because the virus doesn't come out during the day, it finds it's way out after 9 pm only  555

Sarcasm

Don't you feel a bit silly posting this repetitive nonsense?