Have you read The Fourth Turning? You should.

connda

“Try to unlearn the obsessive fear of death (and the anxious quest for death avoidance) that pervades linear thinking in nearly every modern society. The ancients knew that, without periodic decay and death, nature cannot complete its full round of biological and social change. Without plant death, weeds would strangle the forest. Without human death, memories would never die, and unbroken habits and customs would strangle civilization. Social institutions require no less. Just as floods replenish soil and fires rejuvenate forests, a Fourth Turning clears out society’s exhausted elements and creates an opportunity.”
– 
Strauss & Howe – The Fourth Turning

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I hope it is delayed a few more years to come, so I will be in my 70íes at least before hell brakes loose in about 20 years. Im old enough and will be ready to leave this planet by then. 

From dust to dust, ashes to ashes

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Once one realizes that we are just a transport system for a bunch of selfish genes, all scrambling to replicate themselves and that once that purpose is achieved though the rather crude method of mammalian reproduction, we cease to be of any further use.

Our obsessive fear of death is nothing more than an irrational mind set induced into us by the religiously misguided. I realized these facts many years ago so I do not worry in the least about my demise, nor will ever buy health insurance in a futile bid to prolong my life.

I've produced my sprogs, job done.

Exactly what purpose do life have? Anyway I enjoy my life to the fullest now, and hope it will last a bit longer. 

My genes stops with me. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
50 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Our obsessive fear of death

47 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

'YOUR' obsessive fear of death.

I don't appear to have that fear.

Please do not use half a sentence to make it appear out of context. (it's actually against forum rules)

The full sentence (and paragraph) read: ''Our obsessive fear of death is nothing more than an irrational mind set induced into us by the religiously misguided. I realized these facts many years ago so I do not worry in the least about my demise'.

• Sad 1

Those first few words in the 1st sentence falsely assumes I'm obsessed with fear about death and need to unlearn it, 5555.  I have no need to read a book like that, if you're obsessed with fear about death read on, I'll give it a pass.

• Like 2

I've heard the fourth turning also described thus it makes some sence and is supposed to go in a full loop every 80 years or so

Good time make weak men  (I think We are at the end of this 20 year quarter of the 4th turning) 

Weak men make bad times

Bad times make strong men. 

Strong men make good times

Might not be word for word but that's the basic concept 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 3:36 PM, Moonlover said:

Once one realizes that we are just a transport system for a bunch of selfish genes, all scrambling to replicate themselves and that once that purpose is achieved though the rather crude method of mammalian reproduction, we cease to be of any further use.

Our obsessive fear of death is nothing more than an irrational mind set induced into us by the religiously misguided. I realized these facts many years ago so I do not worry in the least about my demise, nor will ever buy health insurance in a futile bid to prolong my life.

I've produced my sprogs, job done.

Perhaps crude, but the act of insemination is immensely enjoyable if done properly with the right person.

Worth remembering that modern medicine keeps most of us alive well past our use by date, and for most of human history most people usually never lived long enough to be able to collect a pension ( had one been available throughout human history ).

On 1/13/2022 at 5:43 PM, connda said:

The book is about 'generational theory'. 

"According to the Strauss-Howe generational theory, many nations undergo decisive changes every four generations. They calculate that to be about 80 to 90 years. They argue that, when this period is over, a radical transformation in the social and political structure occurs."
- ExploreYourMind, Psychology, Theories

It's about change that tends to manifest quite violently in relatively consistent waves of time.  Literally earth-shaking periods of history.  Like a tsunami, it's easy to dismiss an ultra low-tide as an anomaly without understanding what is about to crest the horizon. 
As stated by Samuel Clements, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."  And I've lived long enough to hear the four-part harmony starting to kick in.  When this comes (and it will) most people will be standing flat-footed on the beach watching the fish flop.

I realised that western society is ( probably ) doomed when I first heard that the idea of multi genders was being taken seriously.

The Roman Empire took hundreds of years to decay to the extent that the opposition could take Rome without so much as a battle. Bear in mind that things happen soooooo much faster in these times.

On 1/13/2022 at 5:03 PM, mtls2005 said:

This book was published in 1997 right?

I feel like I'm watching S01E01 of Game of Thrones, "Winter is coming". I watched the whole series, did winter ever come? And if that was it at then end, it was easily dealt with by a teenager wielding a knife - spoiler alert.

Are we "there" yet"

Steve Bannon's favorite book.

Right-wing-nut best seller.

Why does thailand and this forum have so many quirky foreigners?

?????????????????

Winter in G O T referred to winter, the season, not an invasion of the dead, and yes it did arrive.

• Like 1

I too never became one of the fearful hiding under my bed, though I am surprised by some I know that really did accept the mantra of "be scared, be scared, be scared". Some still are, and some are even more scared than at the start.

Given the probable winner of the conflict to come, I'm happy to hopefully not being around to see the winners parading through the streets. Given the state of our "defence force" I expect a large sign in the relevant language saying "we surrender" to be erected at the border.

BTW, re population control, I assume you don't refer to population size, as out of 8 billion it hasn't had much impact ( so far ).

On 1/13/2022 at 3:42 PM, Hummin said:

Exactly what purpose do life have? Anyway I enjoy my life to the fullest now, and hope it will last a bit longer. 

My genes stops with me. 

If we stop thinking of ourselves as being special and superior, we are just a more intelligent species that happens to be inhabiting the planet for a period of time. IMO we will eventually join the dinosaurs in extinction, because we polluted ourselves to oblivion. The dinosaurs didn't cause their own extinction, which goes to show how dumb humans are. The planet will survive and a ( hopefully more enlightened ) species will evolve to become dominant. The cycle will continue till the sun dies.

Ditto on the genes.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2022 at 4:35 PM, Moonlover said:

The full sentence (and paragraph) read: ''Our obsessive fear of death is nothing more than an irrational mind set induced into us by the religiously misguided. I realized these facts many years ago so I do not worry in the least about my demise'.

Use of "our" is erroneous. Some do not fear death, as it would be irrational, IMO, to be afraid of something that is inevitable. One can fear the means of our demise, though that is not the same as "death" per se.

BTW, it's more likely that the non believers are afraid of death ( as it means they become nothing ) than the religious who know that a better existence is to come on the other side. I think you mean those that have reason to fear hell is to come on the other side.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I realised that western society is ( probably ) doomed when I first heard that the idea of multi genders was being taken seriously.

The Roman Empire took hundreds of years to decay to the extent that the opposition could take Rome without so much as a battle. Bear in mind that things happen soooooo much faster in these times.

I guess you think immortal souls have knobs or wendies.  Brilliant. You combine a fatuous woo woo spirituality with a "Daily Mail" conservatism. I suppose it makes sense to you.

[for the record: I neither believe in immortal souls, or that gender is determined by bodies rather than minds.]

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 10:00 PM, Moonlover said:

And where does that notion come from? From the religiously misguided of course who themselves are too full of their own self importance. Oh and it fills their coffers full of riches.

IMO you refer to the false religious that only worship for society status but don't believe.

A true Christian is humble. Not many true Christians around though.

BTW, the congregation fills the coffers, not the other way around.

On 1/18/2022 at 4:48 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Gender is determined by reproductive ability, and only hermaphrodites can be either.

Inventing mythical genders may satisfy certain personalities, but I'll stick with genes.

I regard mythical genders at the same level as mythical creators ......... 

Believing in either is a clear sign of serious mental illness.

A clear and obvious break with reality.

'Schizophrenia involves a psychosis, a type of mental illness in which a person can't tell what's real from what's imagined.'

Edited by BritManToo