Thai government pushes ahead with international tourist tax, 300 baht per visitor begins in April

webfact

10 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

300 baht will include medical cover--this could be interesting----For however long the tourist stays in Thailand?

Hmmmm, does that mean they will drop the current $50,000 compulsory covid insurance required for all tourists at the moment......... I Doubt it,, silly me.. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sungod said:

And no one will notice so it will not affect numbers.......

But I pay £80 per year for travel health insurance with £10,000,000 worth of cover to protect the Thai economy and health system so why should I have to pay again and for something I will never use, because I never travel without health insurance.

what is it that forces the Thais to rip off people who want to come to Thailand and spend loads of money?

will they ever learn to be fair?

• Like 1

Another nail in the tourism coffin - not because of the amount (which is ridiculous) but the gesture of getting creamed before collecting your luggage from the belts. 

As this is the minimum daily wage I suggest that Europe introduces a corresponding arrival tax for the semi-divine Khon Thai to the tune of a daily wage of the country they visit. And yes, travelling from Stockholm to Lisbon you pass at least four countries = collect the "Welcome Tax - Thai nationals only" not once, twice, three but four times. 

A quick look confirms, it is not 1 April - just yet (pun intended)! Good luck with this idea; I am sure that all hotels, tour operators and restaurants availing services to non-Thais arriving from faraway lands will more than appreciate the endeavours by the government in defacilitating their business. 

But yeah, it is their land and let their business be taken care of by their chosen people at the helm of this runaway tourism train ........ 

Another nail in the tourism coffin - not because of the amount (which is ridiculous) but the gesture of getting creamed before collecting your luggage from the belts. 

As this is the minimum daily wage I suggest that Europe introduces a corresponding arrival tax for the semi-divine Khon Thai to the tune of a daily wage of the country they visit. And yes, travelling from Stockholm to Lisbon you pass at least four countries = collect the "Welcome Tax - Thai nationals only" not once, twice, three but four times. 

A quick look confirms, it is not 1 April - just yet (pun intended)! Good luck with this idea; I am sure that all hotels, tour operators and restaurants availing services to non-Thais arriving from faraway lands will more than appreciate the endeavours by the government in defacilitating their business. 

But yeah, it is their land and let their business be taken care of by their chosen people at the helm of this runaway tourism train ........ 

Good Luck with that...You've already scared off all the tourists with your high priced Sandbox schemes, broken promises such as "Thai Pass", ridiculous quarantine policies for fully vaccinated tourists, expensive RT-PCR Tests, expensive health insurance, Phone software to track tourist's every move, & now this...Tax 'em when they arrive, & Tax'em when they leave!  I wish you well!

• Like 1

Once a tax is introduced, it will only go one way: UP.

Historically there are taxes that may disappear for a while, like the Byzantine and totalitarian sugar tax and salt tax, yet somehow it find a new life when people are not noticing. Under the name of fighting obesity it makes a huge come back. 

Do any of you remember Thailand Departure tax used to be 500THB? And before 2007 was it cheaper even? I can't remember now as it was long time ago. But I seems to remember it was cheaper at the time when you had to go to a counter to pay for the departure tax rather than included in your ticket price.

13 hours ago, Don Chance said:

In Nepal they have much simpler system, you can get up to 6 months a year visa. Just giving 30 days on arrival is very silly of Thailand.

Visa Type Visa Fee in USD $
1. Tourist Visa (short) USD 30
2. 30 Days (Multiple Entry) USD 50
3. 90 Days (Multiple Entry) USD 125
4. Visa Extension (Within Valid Visa Period) USD 3 per Day

This topic is not about visa fees

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

When you consider there's already a 700 baht tourist departure tax, the last sentence of the article says it all

“Collecting an additional fee will increase the travel budget of international visitors. It will affect their decisions to skip Thailand.”

A quick look at the current taxes for Thailand, listed on a roundtrip ticket from Italy (Milan Malpensa airport) to Thailand (Bangkok Suvarnabhumi airport), highlighted in yellow on the list below:

Taxes.png.bebed06c671bf9e8ee26f6380fb90c66.png

15 hours ago, thaitom said:

What ? in Chiang mai there is a currency exchange booth at the end of the escalator right after you walk off your plane before you give the "man" your passport and get stamped.  so yes, you can get the money needed.

I am talking of a real airport... most International flights do land at Swampy....  wondering at what point the money might get collected or will it be incorporated. (Will the travel agents or airline know whether it applies to you?)

7 hours ago, Jimjim1 said:

But I pay £80 per year for travel health insurance with £10,000,000 worth of cover to protect the Thai economy and health system so why should I have to pay again and for something I will never use, because I never travel without health insurance.

what is it that forces the Thais to rip off people who want to come to Thailand and spend loads of money?

Don't blame it on the Thais, as it's your country-folk's fault.  All the irresponsible tourist having oops then skipping out on hospital bills in the past.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I am talking of a real airport... most International flights do land at Swampy....  wondering at what point the money might get collected or will it be incorporated. (Will the travel agents or airline know whether it applies to you?)

umm.... maybe you should look at the flights schedule for Chiang mai, it's a real airport . smaller but very real.  Does size really matter to you ?

23 minutes ago, thaitom said:

umm.... maybe you should look at the flights schedule for Chiang mai, it's a real airport . smaller but very real.  Does size really matter to you ?

I don't want to waste my time arguing over airports. 

10 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The PM has already stated that he wants to wean Thailand off tourism in favour of industrialisation of the Eastern Seaboard in their Eastern Economic Corridor dream.

IMF and World Bank fronting up the money for the biggest boondoggle ever.

Their vision of a developed country by 2036, again, the PM's words, does not include foreigners in their warped little minds, even though they still won't be able to do anything without foreign investment or expertise, as their education system is so bad that it would take decades to render significant improvements.

This tourist tax is just another way for them to continue to pay for their budgets to enrich themselves through 'commissions'.

There will be absolutely nothing in terms of benefits for the people that pay it and things will continue as usual. 

Agree with your sentiments. However, the PM is simply trying to save face, after demolishing the tourism industry, though his legendary level of cowardice. I do believe they are trying to purify the nation, and get rid of all nightlife. And it is absolutely true, that Thailand cannot do anything meaningful, or truly significant on their own. They simply do not have the talent, nor the intellectuals to make things happen. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jimjim1 said:

Oh yawn, is Thailand the only country that charges passenger tax?

Maybe moan at all the people who come here with no insurance and expect the state to pay for their mess...............

• Confused 2

21 hours ago, smedly said:

hope they remember this statement

When things return to a near normal, the soldiers will still insist on people having their own medical insurance., for probably about $50.000. That is my opinion. Don't forget, these soldiers don't have to impress voters like in normal countries.

20 hours ago, Xonax said:

How does an International Tourist Tax make any sense, when the governmant at the same time is trying to help tourism survive by paying half of the bill for Thai nationals?  Do they really think, that foreign tourists are all rich and not equally affectey by Covid 19?

I repeat again, these guys are soldiers with a soldiers mentality.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Bearing in mind they have already been collecting 500bht per visitor they would need to have 56000 visitors to cover the 45m they claim as unpaid medical bills. Easy peasy - now they can scrap insurance requirements for all visitors!

"Easy peasy - now they can scrap insurance requirements for all visitors.". Of course

they will. The unelected PM is a fair man. Is that right Steven100? :cheesy:

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

Allready a tax on the the ticket,I remember when u paid before u left to return home.500 baht in and thru to passport control.now it is raised again.Will be added to your ticket i imagine.Before if you went to Myanmar for passport control and a new 30 day visa,have 10 US in the passport cheaper than 500 baht in what they wanted.They accept the dollars.This gov want tourist but they make it so hard sometimes,test and go finished.They high season is dead again,it goes on and on.

I can only hope that they will open soon with no problems to enter 

"I can only hope that they will open soon with no problems to enter". :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: