Thai government pushes ahead with international tourist tax, 300 baht per visitor begins in April

webfact

4 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

When you consider there's already a 700 baht tourist departure tax

That's airport tax and anyone who travel pays. I don't think there's any airport in the world that doesn't charge departure tax. In the US there's also an arrival tax (or at least there used to be).

BTW- about 30 years ago there was a "going overseas tax" for Thai citizens. A Thai travelling overseas had to buy this tax coupon at the airlines offices, and it was over 1000 baht

• Thanks 1

The tax will start at 300 and quickly become 1,000 and more. Give governments an inch and they take a mile. It's not the tax per se , it's the negative image it sends to potential customers. If countries charge a tax for visiting their countries and contributing to their GDP, why not High Street chains demanding a fee to enter their stores?

• Like 2

It seems some people think that this is going to replace travel insurance, even covid insurance. If that were the case the scheme would be costing a lot more than 300 baht!

I think it's more likely an insurance fund for Thai hospitals to claim from when a tourist disappears without paying the bill.

3 hours ago, Xonax said:

How does an International Tourist Tax make any sense, when the governmant at the same time is trying to help tourism survive by paying half of the bill for Thai nationals?  Do they really think, that foreign tourists are all rich and not equally affectey by Covid 19?

If you dont have 300 bth "extra" in your budget i think that kind tourist should only travel hes local park! And drink there hes local Lao Khao if has money enough for that.

• Confused 4

3 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Like paying for the new Chinese fighter jets, the new Chinese submarines and the railroad that will help Chinese produce into Thailand?

it appears now it's the other way around for the ;produce   555

Government Hopes to Export Fresh Fruit Via Laos-China High-Speed Train

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

So now tourists need to find this alien currency prior to immigration?

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

So now tourists need to find this alien currency prior to immigration?

Generally its add to the ticketing fees and taxes.  

4 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

300 baht will include medical cover--this could be interesting----For however long the tourist stays in Thailand?

That will be great Can Us Expats pay the THB300 every year and be covered for Medical Too?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

300 baht will include medical cover--this could be interesting----For however long the tourist stays in Thailand?

I don't care what anyone thinks, a entry tax of 1000 Bhat would not worry me, if they wipe the BS insurance, and let tourists and expats get on without all the dumb premiums that are being welshed, 

Just this minute Thailand has raised power and water prices and the prices of pork have gone up, no money from tourists so screw the people, sad days in every corner of the world. 

4 hours ago, Xonax said:

How does an International Tourist Tax make any sense, when the governmant at the same time is trying to help tourism survive by paying half of the bill for Thai nationals?  Do they really think, that foreign tourists are all rich and not equally affectey by Covid 19?

Does anyone think that a person is going to say no to coming here because they have to pay 10 US extra on their ticket.  Considering all the other fees it is not that much really

24 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

tomorrow's headlines ..... TAT said that millions are applying to the scheme and hotels fully booked for May

It's already in the article lol

"Thanakorn also said that Thailand is expected to welcome nearly 15 million visitors throughout the year, which will generate between 1.3 to 1.8 trillion baht in revenue"

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Remind us, how much tax is there currently on a ticket into Heathrow,  or do  you believe international visitors have a one way ticket.

This is what it was 5 years ago for Heathrow.

It is a warped mentality that thinks Thailand should be free and other countries charge what they want.

Government, authority and airport charges

Per adult

E7AD

THB 35.00

E7AP

THB 35.00

Passenger Service Charge (Domestic) - Thailand

THB 700.00

Air Passenger Duty - United Kingdom

THB 3,425.00

Passenger Service Charge - United Kingdom

THB 3,010.00

Total government, authority and airport charges*

> More information

THB 7,205.00

nmenthority and airport charges

Very strange. I thought this thread was about a tax on tourists coming into Thailand. Nice job justifying bad behavior with bad behavior though. I will give you only half credit since you really should’ve made the post about you in some way. 

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

BTW, not so long ago they were considering a 500 baht jump.

It’s the old ploy of stating a high price initially to shock everyone into complaining before eventually reducing it so that everyone thinks their outbursts caused the reduction and they feel that they’ve won and accept it with a smile.

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

Cant really see 300 Baht (so around £7) being added to the ticket price becoming a barrier to visitors

Obviously absorbed within the ticket price, added to the 700 Baht departure tax that the vast majority didnt actually realise was there anyway as time as gone by these last years...

Pretty much a non event I'd dare to suggest

Correct!

I have no problem with Thailand demanding tourists be required to purchase medical insurance the same as is need for a Schengen Visa in Europe (and the same coverage). Thailand wants to have those insurance profits, again no problem as long as the prices and coverage is commensurate. Additionally, for those of us full-time retired residents, work up the documented costs and work us into the national healthcare program with the costs being covered by the insurance. It is not brain surgery to work out a beneficial program for all concerned. The way Thailand is proceeding, tourism, advertising, public relations ... a negative response.